Kandahar rocket attack

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by spaz, May 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/afghanistan/article7134568.ece

Is it just me or does this article appear to be well and truly sexed up?

Have the Talibs got neckier, with regards to having a pop at Kaf?

Most importantly, where were the Rock Apes? :D

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I was thinking that by the second line

3. sucks teeth, shakes head, tutts

4. Massive load of overhyped shite, the place gets rocket attacked every week and the attack was in no way a serious one with any intention of causing anything more than annoyance and to create shite like the above, you only have to look at Wanat to know the difference between what is a serious attack and what isnt.
    On the other hand if it makes the boardwalk heroes feel more part of it then I suppose its a good thing.

5. the rocks were probably parked up by j1 whilst sipping brews and playing pool in heroes. :D

i do think that this attack was slightly different though, yes, KAF does get rocketted, but this was a more determined attack involving rockets and small arms. as i'm aware they hit the boardwalk and the ramp where the helis are parked, not sure which one though

6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

KAF has 'enjoyed' around 90+ IDF's a year for a good while now. And that's not including false alarms. But, given the sheer size of the place, and the crappiness of the rockets, you are pretty unlucky to get a bit. There's been a couple of fatalities, and loads of injuries over the years, but again, as there are probably around 20,000 people on it, the odds of you being OK are pretty good. It only makes the press here if someone is involved who may sell papers - remember when Ant & Dec were 'targeted' last year?

7. How did they get past the flexible and agile Rock Apes? We should be told.

8. I heard they were after Beckham.

I didn't even know the Taliban had a team in the World Cup.

9. the_boy_syrup

Rocks on E goat are claiming it's not their job to defend the perimeter at KAF
    It's also a massive perimeter as well so they keep saying and they can't cover all of it from the Naafi car park

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Jon-Allan Bennett

http://www.modoracle.com/news/Heroes-Pedal-Of-Honour_15769.html

Nah....Chinese rocket .......following SOPs he jumped out of the vehicle he was in and took cover.....rocket landed next to him.

You might also check out the story of Maj Phil Packer ......doesn't matter much how sh1t happens, the end result is the same....

11. the_boy_syrup

I agree with that
    We had a boy on Telic 4 took a lump of shrapnel to the leg whilst in the shower in Al Ammarah
    The computer I was booked on to use was also destroyed by shrapnel in the same attack

12. It wasn't overhyped shite to the Canadian lass who lost her leg or any of the other Cat A casualties.

It was however an unsuccesful attack carried out by a bunch of fairly amateur insurgents who were repelled by the sangar guards (not Rocks, they don't defend the perimeter in KAF or BSN, units do in BSN and other NATO nations do in KAF). The failed fencecutters were subsequently pursued, surrounded and detained - by the Rocks.

Just because it was repelled doesn't mean it wasn't serious. The impunity with which insurgents lob rockets into KAF is a real concern and it's very difficult to guard against. Trying to get enough men (Rocks or not) to effectively deny an enormous GDA at KAF is challenging to say the least.

13. Im sure it wasn't overhyped to her, but she didn't write the article did she?

14. No she didn't, but she didn't describe it as 'in no way a serious one' either.

15. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

As everyone on this forum knows and understands, it is the psychological and media impact the Taliban are after .

Flashback: Saigon, heart of the US presence in Vietnam where they had 550,000 personnel engaged.......the New Year festival 1968 (Tet)....a team of less than a dozen insurgents overran the US Embassy....

Ironically the Tet offensive was actually a colossal FAILURE for the North Vietnamese/Viet Cong......but it is perceived as a turning point in the war because it convinced the people at home that the war was unwinnable....and THAT is the real battlefield.

SOURCE