Kamikaze Midget Subs?

Discussion in 'Charity Auctions' started by DRIVER_B_III_RASC, Mar 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

Came across this picture of Japanese Midget Subs and it occurred that they would have been used as 'suicide subs,' If so, protecting a fleet would have been difficult, any thoughts?

2. Bugger. I thought you were selling some.

It seems to me that they were no more a suicidal means of attack than our own x-craft.

3. Agreed but I was thinking in terms of ramming ships and exploding.

4. Don't forget these...

Kaiten - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Human steered torpedoes, no chance of recovery as alluded to above.

5. Me too! OP, you do know this is in "charity auctions" don't you?

6. hotel_california

hotel_california LE Book Reviewer

The Type A midget sub originally intended to be carried by larger Japanese ships and deployed in the path of an enemy fleet, where they would disrupt its operations with torpedo attacks. They were indeed used in the attack at Pearl Harbour and in the 1942 raids on Sydney, Australia, and Diego Suarez in the Indian Ocean and at Guadalcanal.

Oh and I will have one - £50?

7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

The Italians used manned explosive boats in WW2. Not intended as a suicide weapon but odds on survival must have been poor.

MT explosive motorboat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a couple of examples in the naval museum in La Spezia. They're pretty flimsy things and the helmsman had a very limited armoured cockpit at the rear.

8. Do you pay postage & packing?

9. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

It's for charity for ****'s sake. You tight git.

• Like Like x 2
  10. The Germans also considered using such Subs with Hanna Riech the test pilot being a leading proponent for such suicidal means of ending the war in the Adolf's favour. Fortunately saner heads prevailed and they never went beyond the test phase.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)