Kabul Restaurant Attack 170114

F

Flash Back

There was a time that troops could walk about Kabul in berets, soft skin vehicles and stop off for a chat with the locals inside their homes and restaurants without the QRF hanging around outside. From a COIN perspective those civilians you like to belittle are probably achieving more to stabilise the country by pumping money into the economy that any squaddie hunkered down in a FOB.

This isn't poor drills. This is an effective way of isolating ISAF from the civilian population by ensuring they can't mix with them.
Money Pumped into the economy? Dinner for 25 - let's go mad $1000. Now read this (Billions is the key word).

Because the owners of these establishments pay a monthly “bribe” fee to Afghan police who then indirectly purchase a security guarantee from the Taliban to put these locations off of the target “hit” list. (Here is a NYT story about Afghan police not being paid since last November: http://nyti.ms/1kxSqta). In 2010, the western media reported about how USAID indirectly paid the Taliban billions not to attack incoming logistical convoys traveling from Pakistan to Afghanistan. (Here is a link: http://nyti.ms/1eHUZS3)

So as far as i can see it we have just been renting space off the Taliban.

And we had to pay Karzai off. Billions. Pakistan too, who still close the border when there's a domestic political or 'economic' need.

We missed the hearts and minds window in my opinion, probably around 2002.

And from the same article:
The identity and itinerary of the victims were relayed and the killings were well orchestrated with point precision.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a time that troops could walk about Kabul in berets, soft skin vehicles and stop off for a chat with the locals inside their homes and restaurants without the QRF hanging around outside. From a COIN perspective those civilians you like to belittle are probably achieving more to stabilise the country by pumping money into the economy that any squaddie hunkered down in a FOB.

This isn't poor drills. This is an effective way of isolating ISAF from the civilian population by ensuring they can't mix with them.
I presume you've worked for the UN before then? I had the joy of "supporting" their operations for the first "democratic" elections.

I didn't see alot of belittling going on in my post

And I'm not sure I understood your last sentence, poor drills from who?

Money Pumped into the economy? Dinner for 25 - let's go mad $1000. Now read this (Billions is the key word).

So as far as i can see it we have just been renting space off the Taliban.

And we had to pay Karzai off. Billions. Pakistan too, who still close the border when there's a domestic political or 'economic' need.

We missed the hearts and minds window in my opinion, probably around 2002.

And from the same article:
Dinner for twenty five creates jobs for kitchen staff, taxi drivers, wholesalers, security guards and a whole host of people.

I'd sort of agree with you about the 2002 window, but I think that could be pushed to the right by a few years to 2004/5

F

Flash Back

Dinner for twenty five creates jobs for kitchen staff, taxi drivers, wholesalers, security guards and a whole host of people.

I'd sort of agree with you about the 2002 window, but I think that could be pushed to the right by a few years to 2004/5
I'm talking about Billions of dollars disappearing into Afghan purses, literally by the pallet load.

You are bringing up kitchen jobs 'created' by UN Staff dining out. That resulted in 21 people losing their lives.

Sorry if i don't take you seriously on this point.

On the 'window of opportunity' i thought 2002 as that is when we allied ourselves to the murdering bastard Northern Warlords - the sworn enemies of the people (the murdering bastard Taliban if you like) whose hearts and minds were to be put on Part 1s shortly.

Was it 7,500 captured Taliban that were tortured murdered by our Northern Allies in 2002?

Weren't hundreds locked in ISO containers, in the sun, and then left to die (cook)?

We will get bombed all the way to the border i think - lapses in security, like this restaurant gathering, will be punished severely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The whole time, during the withdrawal over the border, troop convoys were coming under attack by Afghan fighters. In all 523 Soviet soldiers were killed during the withdrawal
Not the same thing really, the Sovs didn't have to bother about 'looking tough' and 'not running away' for the next elextion, for the papers or for the electorate. They told the papers what to print, the elections were meaningless and the people were disenfranchised.

Compare that to the Vietminh/PLAF who publicly, during the 'Vietnamization' period, announced that they would not engage any US unit which left them alone.The reason being that loads of dead Americans = more air raids and troops staying longer, when the elections came and politicians started accusing each other of being 'soft on communism' and 'letting American boys be killed'.

That makes sense (as in i can see his logic) - does it tie in with him blaming the ISI for the attack a week ago (post no.25) ?
And why would he do that ? He's out in a matter of months. Why should he bother ? He'll be on the first flight out to Dubai after his successor is sworn in.

PS. There's a decent pizza place and a curry house called Namaste that used to deliver to Kidnap Roundabout. Tasty scran but I'll be ****ed if I would go out and sit down to eat.

F

Flash Back

And why would he do that ? He's out in a matter of months. Why should he bother ? He'll be on the first flight out to Dubai after his successor is sworn in.
I don't know the politics - maybe he wants to influence the upcoming elections, give the candidate he is (or was last time i looked) backing, Abdul Sayyaf, a better footing?

Latest Threads