Kabul Restaurant Attack 170114

F

Flash Back

BBC News - Afghanistan security probe after Kabul restaurant raid

Inside collusion?

Looking at the guest list it was right in the heart of the Diplomatic Quarter and International effort.

Rough list from various sources
two (four?) Americans,
two British citizens,
two Canadians,
the IMF head of mission,
A female Danish member of the European police mission in Afghanistan
A Russian UN political officer also died in the Friday evening massacre
The American University of Afghanistan said two of its U.S. employees died
4 UN Workers (total?)

21 people in total.
(I believe all families will have been informed)

Been there a few times. Security was rather tight and I doubt any form of inside collusion. Sadly a suicide bomber on the front door gets you into most places if you rush the gate after.

People set patterns. Cafés that attract certain clientele are easy targets.

Unlucky, should have been smarter.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I doubt there was a hell of a lot of choice.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

dante242

War Hero
Security was always good, difficult to get to with guesthouse guards up and down the road.....I would be looking at the guest list rather than the timing

F

Flash Back

I doubt there was a hell of a lot of choice.
Do you mean of Lebanese Restaurants open at that time?

Think Dinger hit the mail on the head - if you know it's somewhere foreigners congregate then so do (could) the Taliban.

I've been through Marrakech a few times, all round the square, but never sat in that main cafe that got bombed. Looked at it and just saw Fig.11s everywhere. These guys know they are targets - don't congregate anywhere without ISAF security. They should of got a take-way.

There were some that had an Evac route on roof over to neighbours. Lucky them.

Last edited by a moderator:

alib

LE
If the Beeb is to be believed the Leb owner died with a gun his hand intent on defending his business and guests, this time less successfully than in the past. RIP.

F

Flash Back

If the Beeb is to be believed the Leb owner died with a gun his hand intent on defending his business and guests, this time less successfully than in the past. RIP.
Aye. And i bet there were a few tooled up in there (is that the correct 'circuit' term, or... ?).

I'd guest the initial blast did most of the damage

Some of your posts regard current or newsworthy events and ask for opinion or provoke opinion.

It was just a hunch, no biggey. At least your posts provoke thought .

F

Flash Back

Very interesting insight:

Why Taliban stormed the Lebanese restaurant in capital Kabul - Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency

News Analysis: Friday’s targeted assassinations in Kabul, Afghanistan is the deadliest Taliban attack in the last twelve years inside the capital’s highly guarded Ring-of-Steel. Behind the disheartening tragedy that claimed the lives of 21 people (including the IMF head and four UN officials), there is a deeper story everyone must know. I was a frequent visitor of Taverna du Liban during the one year I lived in Afghanistan. These locales catering to affluent Afghans and expats have never been under the radar of the Taliban. Why? Because the owners of these establishments pay a monthly “bribe” fee to Afghan police who then indirectly purchase a security guarantee from the Taliban to put these locations off of the target “hit” list. (Here is a NYT story about Afghan police not being paid since last November: http://nyti.ms/1kxSqta). In 2010, the western media reported about how USAID indirectly paid the Taliban billions not to attack incoming logistical convoys traveling from Pakistan to Afghanistan. (Here is a link: http://nyti.ms/1eHUZS3)

So what’s happening now? Pro-ISI (the Inter-Services Intelligence or the intelligence service of Pakistan) Afghan informants embedded in the Afghan government have infiltrated the NDS (National Director of Security) and since last summer’s transfer of responsibility for securing Afghanistan from NATO to Afghan forces, the double agent crooks have hijacked the domestic intelligence agency of Afghanistan. While the US and international forces are running for the exits, the double agents are desperately trying to secure their future in a post 2014 Afghanistan. Pro-ISI Afghans appear on the surface to be pro-western but they have robbed American taxpayers and Afghans and simultaneously work with the enemy. Why? They are buying an insurance policy to make sure they remain in power if and when the Taliban retake Afghanistan. This is a deadly strategy. How ironic that yesterday’s Taliban executions were more precise than a surgical drone attack by the Americans? It wasn’t just a random coincidence. The identity and itinerary of the victims were relayed and the killings were well orchestrated with point precision.

Last edited by a moderator:

SOI

LE
The first of many as the Talibs make the big final push to be seen as having 'pushed out the infidels' and cement their post imbroglio credentials

The first of many as the Talibs make the big final push to be seen as having 'pushed out the infidels' and cement their post imbroglio credentials
But note that it was an attack on 'civilians' rather than troops. I suspect that the Taliban will follow the Vietminh/North Vietnamese model by reducing attacks on coalition forces in order not to delay or reverse the decision to withdraw. the sooner combat troops are gone, the sooner the Taliban will be able to reassert control, the last thing they want to do is create a political dynamic in the west for an extended commitment of troops.

Salutary lesson in reminding your client that you are there to "advise" them on their security, not take them on social jollies in target rich environments.

There was a time when expats (UN mainly) would stroll through the Kabul streets to soirees in restaurants not a care in the world despite repeated on street kidnap attempts from vehicles..

Complacency kills, kids

F

Flash Back

But note that it was an attack on 'civilians' rather than troops. I suspect that the Taliban will follow the Vietminh/North Vietnamese model by reducing attacks on coalition forces in order not to delay or reverse the decision to withdraw. the sooner combat troops are gone, the sooner the Taliban will be able to reassert control, the last thing they want to do is create a political dynamic in the west for an extended commitment of troops.
Here is a good indicator, Soviet_withdrawal_from_Afghanistan

In the first three-month period, it was reported that some 50,183 foreign troops had withdrawn. Another 50,100 left between 15 August 1988 and 15 February 1989.

The whole time, during the withdrawal over the border, troop convoys were coming under attack by Afghan fighters. In all 523 Soviet soldiers were killed during the withdrawal

F

Flash Back

Complacency kills, kids
What a God awful reminder.

Surprisingly i thought it was easy to forget that some people out there really want to kill you. A lot.

Worst i had was a few hard stares, but far more waves, handshakes & smiles. Oh, and a stone right between the eyes when on top cover - ballistic googles saved me thank God, just dazed. Kid got a thumbs up for a good shot - puzzled the fcuk out of him i think!

ACAB

LE
I was invited out to the 'Green Zone' for a meal a few times. Never accepted. After all, they just have to get lucky once.

Salutary lesson in reminding your client that you are there to "advise" them on their security, not take them on social jollies in target rich environments.

There was a time when expats (UN mainly) would stroll through the Kabul streets to soirees in restaurants not a care in the world despite repeated on street kidnap attempts from vehicles..

Complacency kills, kids
There was a time that troops could walk about Kabul in berets, soft skin vehicles and stop off for a chat with the locals inside their homes and restaurants without the QRF hanging around outside. From a COIN perspective those civilians you like to belittle are probably achieving more to stabilise the country by pumping money into the economy that any squaddie hunkered down in a FOB.

This isn't poor drills. This is an effective way of isolating ISAF from the civilian population by ensuring they can't mix with them.

Latest Threads