K98k Sling?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Beerhunter, Oct 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just bought a replica sling on-line and it looks awfully thin - 23 mm wide. Does anyone have a real K98k sling that they could measure for me please?
  2. Sounds about right; my last one was under an inch wide.
  3. Was that real or repro?

The one that I have seems very skinny to me, especially when compared to the sling loop and the hole in the butt.
  4. Just measured my original, and it's about 20mm wide.
  5. All I can say is PB(German)I.

I guess all the wider ones that have seen are inaccurate reproductions then.
  6. Mine was supposed to be a repro, but as it was clearly old and came covered in grease and verdigris, i think was actually a real one. The leather was quite thick (in depth). Mine was quite stiff and difficult to fit. The tab bit wouldn't lie flat in the socket in the stock- I think you have to march across Poland before it becomes supple.
  7. I just fitted it to the rifle and it seems fine.

It seems to me to be yet another example of how little thought the Germans put into this rifle in terms of usability.
  8. Yup, 110 million K98 and K98-style Mausers made and every one of them total crap. No wonder they came second in each major competition in the 20th century, eh?

tac, owner of a 22mm wide Mauser sling - albeit on an ES350B
  9. I'm afraid that I cannot accept your ringing endorsement of my position tac, because - it isn't my position.

First I am only referring to the K98k, not to any other variant of the Gewehr/Karabiner 98 - I hope why will become clear.

Prior to the K98k's introduction in 1935, the Germans had the opportunity to produce something better: not so heavy, larger magazine capacity, and possibly (dare I say) semi-automatic. They had little stock of arms and clean sheet of paper, however they chose to revamp an existing model. This has long been put down to the German military's lack of interest in the Infantryman's primary weapon (as we would see it) his rifle. Their doctrine at the time was that the rifleman was there to protect and serve the machine gun.

So the German infantryman of the time was, luckily for the allies, was lumbered with the K98k.

10. :)

11. Stoat's view of the Kar98k:

awkward bolt that obscures the sights when you work it and starts to bind with a dash of rapid, too much recoil, barrel mirage comes up after a couple of shots, sights inadvertantly designed to make you shoot high under pressure, and not really accurate (IIRC, most bog-standard wartime No.4's coming out of the UK factories would have qualified as sniper grade under the German standard)

The fact that the rifles were not zeroed to the individual tells you a lot about doctrine & expectations.
    • Like Like x 1