K98. WTF is this and where can I get one?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Ravers, Mar 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

To cut a long story short, I'm building a K98 but I'm having trouble sourcing one final part.

There is a band infront of the rear sight, I have no idea what it is called. I need one.

Doesn't matter if it's original or reproduction.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

3. Ravers

Awesome. Cheers mate!

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Is that the exact bit you need?

5. The thing I love most about the Kar98 is the way the shoulder on the turned down bolt handle obscures both the sights and the target when you work the bolt. Marvellous bit of design. Particularly when combined with the proportions of the sights arranged to guarantee the you will shoot high in a stress situation. Small notch in the bottom of a big square notch! Brilliant!

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I have some natty replacement sights on mine which sorts that problem, but I still go blind cycling the bolt....the only advantage I can see is that you could wear gihughemous gloves and still work it, or do it with no fingers....

7. Ideal for the eastern front then, either you have gihughenormous gloves or you don't, in which case all your fingers have fallen off due to frostbite.

8. Ravers

Looks like it. I haven't actually seen one in the flesh before. It's the only part I don't recognise from my giant bucket of bits, which means it must be correct. I'm working from photos only.

9. Ive always found this site to be excellent when sourcing any parts, they have modern reproductions as well as occasionally stocking originals. Also you can purchase schematics, or if you know how just cut paste them.

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

However to buy parts like barrels and receivers etc... you need a firearms license. Its an American site but i have rebuilt quite a bit of my K98 using parts bought from it

10. If it's the same part as they used on the VZ24, I'm fairly certain I have one in my parts box, from one I scrapped.
    I'm stuck in Africa for the next 10 days but after that I'll have a look if you still need one.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

often the auctions have boxes of mauser parts in!