K Battery RHA

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by unmilitary, May 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Best wishes for 27th May to all in K Battery RHA.

My father was a junior officer in K Batt in 1939-40 and fought at Hondeghem. Sadly he died over 30 years ago. He did not speak about the war much, but once talked me through the battle when I was a boy; but that was several decades ago and I cannot even remember confidently which gun he fought with. I have the account by D Willliams but it is not very detailed. I would very much like to have some more information about the battle, and indeed the activities of the Battery from its arrival in France to the evacuation.

Hondegham gets a mention in Hugh Sebag-Montefiore's book on Dunkirk (which is taking me longer to read than the Germans took to get to the French coast!) Can anyone help to point me towards some source material? Or with contact details at the Regiment/Battery of someone who could give me access to their war diary?

2. I don't think it will get much better than THIS!

Here's a poor scan of a Christmas card using David Shepherd's(?) PAINTING.

3. Thanks very much, Walt.

4. No problem, hope it brings unlocks your dad's story.

It might be worth getting in touch with the RA museum to see if they have the 'Gunner' with the source article - the US version has had the spelling uncorrected so it may have been edited for content and, maybe, names.

5. It is actually the D Williams article, or a close re-write, with some extra illustrations.

I have the original article which is a chapter in a short book called "The New Contemptibles". D Williams was the Daily Telegraph War Correspondent. Good journalism, but I hope to get more detail.

Will follow up your RA museum suggestion.

6. The article was published in "The War Illustrated"c in 1940. I forget which issue but is in Volume 3 of the bound volumes.

You might be interested to know that we take occasional groups of Recruits to Hodegem.

7. I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to find out something about my father's unit during WW2.

He was in 'C' Battery, 4 RHA; fought the complete desert campaign and then through Normandy into Germany until the end of the war.

I think, after the Desert Campaign he was was with the 11th Independent Armoured Brigade/Division for the European campaign?.

Unfortunately he died quite a few years ago without writing down his experiences. He was a modest man and did not talk much about his long war. I just regret not having pressed the matter a little more, at least to leave some memoir to following generations of the family.

8. The year of the eclipse we had a week in Arras before moving on to Rheims. Took a day to visit Hondeghem.

You can see the Church tower from Eurostar, about 10 mins out of the tunnel.

9. Highflight, I hope you can track down the information. Good luck.

10. Thanks.

11. .......

12. I am positive that my father was not with 13 (HAC) RHA. I know that after the war he served in the TA, with the RASC (Royal Army Service Corps, for the young 'uns).
    Thanks for your reply.

13. I believe 4 RHA were nominally part of 4 AGRA, an Army Group Royal Artillery under command of an Army Corps. These were normally made up of Heavy and Medium Regiments but 4 RHA were a Field Regt(?). If this was the case, they may nave been attached to 11th Armd Div as a third Fd Regt on occasions rather than being Div troops. Apologies for being a bit vague.

Here you go: 4RHA joined 5 AGRA in the UK in Jan 44 then transferred to 1 Corps (4 AGRA?) in Mar 44. Source 'Five AGRA'.

And THIS

14. Bump for any K Battery people who have receovered from their hangovers.

15. Bump: unmilitary please check your PMs...