justification of war

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by GK12345, Dec 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was looking at videos for the Scots Guards in the falklands 1982 yesterday when i was struck by how much suffering was caused in the conflict and on both sides of the fence. Started me thinking, is it actually worth it? I appreciate the reasons for going to war in the falklands etc and dont dispute them, but on a more general level, how do we justify war? I came up with the idea that if i would not willingly sacrifice my (hypothetical) son to the cause, then how could we justify our participation in it as a nation? Because, at the end of the day, someones son ( or daughter) is going to be sacrificed for the cause. would i sacrifice my son for a small group of islands 8000 miles away and possible also to maintain the UKs status as a world power? Not sure I would in all honesty.
    Having said all that, I am not a pacifist and in fact I plan to join the army after my degree; i have already been through AOSB. I dont believe I would have a problem being sent to a war, be it counter insurgency in Afghansitan or high intensity warfare as in Iraq 2003.
    So, if those conflicting points of view sound confusing to you, they definintly confuse me! Thats why I postes this thread. Maybe this is not the right area of arrse to post it in, but I wanted to see if there were any soldiers, particularly those who have been there and done the job, who could possibly impart a bit of wisdom or give their own opinion on the matter.
    Sorry for the long post, Thanks,
  2. Men and women go to war at the bequest of the government of the day. POliticians go to war (by proxy) for too many reasons to be listed, but here's a start:

Regime change
    "Domino" effect

Try goole. It's wonderful. :)
  3. Is that a new drink of some kind?? or did you mean Google :D
  4. At the end of day Its called Defence . Its been around for thousands of years, its got to be done, we've evolved over the years to make conflicts avoidable and the days of conquering lands are waning but aggression/force sometimes is the only way.
  5. Goole is a sh1t hole.
    As for the OP,do I smell journo?
  6. War is sometimes necessary... Generally because the politicians have failed.

But war cannot sort out a political problem, only the politicians can do that after the military have 'cleared the air' and given them a second chance.
  7. I think Clausewitz (I know same old chestnut) generally got it right (As to what it is). You can argue the semantics of it ad nauseam. As to the Jus in Bello or Jus ad Bello, these will be argued about forever but it's only ever going to be your opinion and we know what they say opinions are like. War (and the struggle to be top dog) is in mans nature.
  8. Often it is the less worse alternative...
  9. Point 1 - yeh, ok, spazfingers. :)
    Point 2- wot I thunk when I first read it.