Just when you thought you had heard it all....

The_Duke

LE
...you go to attest a recruit who then pulls a bible out of his pocket and shows you a line where it states that "you shall give no oath, as it is an offence to God" (paraphrased). You explain that he can leave out the "swear by almighty God" bit, and just state the rest of the oath.

He then states that he is anti-Monarchy and will not make any sort of statement of allegiance or duty to any of the royal family and there is only one true king - God.

His best offer is that he will promise to obey military law.

Why on earth do people like this waste their time and ours?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
...you go to attest a recruit who then pulls a bible out of his pocket and shows you a line where it states that "you shall give no oath, as it is an offence to God" (paraphrased). You explain that he can leave out the "swear by almighty God" bit, and just state the rest of the oath.

He then states that he is anti-Monarchy and will not make any sort of statement of allegiance or duty to any of the royal family and there is only one true king - God.

Does he want to be a Padre?

The_Duke

LE
Does he want to be a Padre?
No - he'd actually had a chat with our padre who had made it quite clear that the oath was acceptable and that the bible should be read within a wider context, lines should not be taken in isolation etc.

He wanted to join as a Pte soldier and had expressed a firm opinion that he wanted to deploy to Afghanistan as soon as possible. Apparently shooting people is fine, but reciting a sentence would have him disappearing into a fiery pit!

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
No - he'd actually had a chat with our padre who had made it quite clear that the oath was acceptable and that the bible should be read within a wider context, lines should not be taken in isolation etc.

He wanted to join as a Pte soldier and had expressed a firm opinion that he wanted to deploy to Afghanistan as soon as possible. Apparently shooting people is fine, but reciting a sentence would have him disappearing into a fiery pit!
Well I thought care in the community was a bad idea.

Feck me, Your Grace you should have tried recruiting at one place I was posted in the Midlands which was in the shadow of the mosque's minaret & next door to The Shamrock & Shillelagh Irish Pub (An Phoblacht on sale here...)

Is he aware he's signing up voluntarily instead of being drafted as a conscript?

Is this out of the ordinary for 4 PARA ?

We pride ourselves on being all inclusive, including having on our strength a soldier known as "God's machine gunner" - A tour of Afghanistan as an LMG gunner prior to being ordained soon!
I can see the headlines in The Baghdad Courier and Helmand Goat Breeders' Gazette: "Infidel Red Devils Deploy New Crusaders Against The Faithful".

I'd be careful who you turn down, the first one sounds a bit like Anders Breivik & it's better to keep the likes of him under scrutiny.

We pride ourselves on being all inclusive, including having on our strength a soldier known as "God's machine gunner" - A tour of Afghanistan as an LMG gunner prior to being ordained soon!
Beats kiddy fiddling. Best of luck to him.

Last night's attestee sounds like a potential nutter. Surely you don't want people that are given an order who then ask "what would Jesus do?". Put him in Mortars and point him to the bible sections on Sodom and Gommorah

The_Duke

LE
I can see the headlines in The Baghdad Courier and Helmand Goat Breeders' Gazette: "Infidel Red Devils Deploy New Crusaders Against The Faithful".

I'd be careful who you turn down, the first one sounds a bit like Anders Breivik & it's better to keep the likes of him under scrutiny.
Having sat through his ice breaker which consisted of describing his interests in MMA and medieval sword fighting, I was very tactful about the whole conversation!

Having sat through his ice breaker which consisted of describing his interests in MMA and medieval sword fighting, I was very tactful about the whole conversation!
When I did recruiting for one of my lots at London Soldier that was exactly the kind of loon you swine from the Paras used to send down in my direction...

The_Duke

LE
Ahhh, Op GET THE SAME 8 POTENTIAL RECRUITS TO SIGN UP FOR 12 DIFFERENT UNITS AND THAN CLAIM 96 RECRUIT ENQUIRIES FOR LONDIST. I remember it fondly - another example of recruiting done well.

P

PrinceAlbert

What happened to the good old days where you just asked them to step closer to the table, then punched them square in the chest.

In all fairness to him, if I looked like having to fight a trained MMA fighter, a medieval sword would come in pretty bloody handy.

In all fairness to him, if I looked like having to fight a trained MMA fighter, a medieval sword would come in pretty bloody handy.
Yes, whenever I've heard them drone on about how hard they are I wish they'd just stop so I could say words to the effect of, "well done you. My sport is shooting, so if you want to put your little shorts & boots on & start 300m away I'll just find my rifle & we'll see whos sport is more effective..."