Just when you thought you had heard it all....

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by The_Duke, Jun 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

...you go to attest a recruit who then pulls a bible out of his pocket and shows you a line where it states that "you shall give no oath, as it is an offence to God" (paraphrased). You explain that he can leave out the "swear by almighty God" bit, and just state the rest of the oath.

He then states that he is anti-Monarchy and will not make any sort of statement of allegiance or duty to any of the royal family and there is only one true king - God.

His best offer is that he will promise to obey military law.

Why on earth do people like this waste their time and ours?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Does he want to be a Padre?
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

No - he'd actually had a chat with our padre who had made it quite clear that the oath was acceptable and that the bible should be read within a wider context, lines should not be taken in isolation etc.

He wanted to join as a Pte soldier and had expressed a firm opinion that he wanted to deploy to Afghanistan as soon as possible. Apparently shooting people is fine, but reciting a sentence would have him disappearing into a fiery pit!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Well I thought care in the community was a bad idea.
  5. Feck me, Your Grace you should have tried recruiting at one place I was posted in the Midlands which was in the shadow of the mosque's minaret & next door to The Shamrock & Shillelagh Irish Pub (An Phoblacht on sale here...)
  6. Is he aware he's signing up voluntarily instead of being drafted as a conscript?
  7. Is this out of the ordinary for 4 PARA ?
  8. A Soldier who can read?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. A dangerous intellectual ?
  10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Stanley, he was out of the door within 5 minutes, so he is not signing up to anything!
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

We pride ourselves on being all inclusive, including having on our strength a soldier known as "God's machine gunner" - A tour of Afghanistan as an LMG gunner prior to being ordained soon!
    • Like Like x 2
  12. I can see the headlines in The Baghdad Courier and Helmand Goat Breeders' Gazette: "Infidel Red Devils Deploy New Crusaders Against The Faithful".

I'd be careful who you turn down, the first one sounds a bit like Anders Breivik & it's better to keep the likes of him under scrutiny.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Beats kiddy fiddling. Best of luck to him.

Last night's attestee sounds like a potential nutter. Surely you don't want people that are given an order who then ask "what would Jesus do?". Put him in Mortars and point him to the bible sections on Sodom and Gommorah
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Having sat through his ice breaker which consisted of describing his interests in MMA and medieval sword fighting, I was very tactful about the whole conversation!
  15. When I did recruiting for one of my lots at London Soldier that was exactly the kind of loon you swine from the Paras used to send down in my direction...