Just when you thought New Liarbour couldnt get any worse...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Crazy_FOO, Dec 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From this fortnight's edition of Private Eye (no link unfortunately but worth 1.40).

An RM Sgt in Afghanistan expressed his anger over inadequate equipment to a Daily Mail journalist. As well as Snatch LRs he mentioned a piece of kit named Vipir. This is a type of thermal imager which can be used to see if a possible suicide bomber is concealing explosives. His complaint was that not enough were issued for use by all who required them.

This report was picked up by the BBC and Lord Drayson (Minister for Procurement) was questioned about the lack of Viper (sic) eqpt.

His answer was: "we've sent over 1400 sets of night vision goggles to Afghanistan" neatly omitting to mention that, as we all know TI and NVG are completely different- thermal imagery vs image intensification which would be no use at trying to detect concealed explosives.

Unfortunatley the BBC journo was ignorant of this fact. Journo"As far as you're concerned there's no shortage?". Drayson "No." And he got away with it.

Why is this on p34 of Private Eye and not the lead story on all news channels...?
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I don't know so I have asked Private Eye who obviously didn't pick up on the difference either if, perhaps they might follow it up. 8O

Stand by, stand by...
  3. Could it be that the bit of kit in question costs a quarter of a million quid and there would never be enough to give everybody one anyway?

Please note, I'm don't know that is the cost, they might cost a tenner, I'm just looking at it from all sides.
  4. in_the_cheapseats

True but misinformation by a minister needs to be corrected if for no other reason, to make him understand what the real issue is
  5. I think they work out at something a little short of 10k per unit.

Realise that's not the thrustt of the thread but I have my anorak on.
  6. in_the_cheapseats

Know it is off track again but do you know how much it is for a NVG?

Being a little involved in TI/II, 10k for a TI sensor head and screen means this is right at the bottom end of the TI market.

I raise your anorak and bid a spotters bobble hat :oops:
  7. ..the businessman who was rather mysteriously given a peerage and appointed defence procurement minister shortly after he had given large sums of money to the Liar Party (and a lucrative contract for his company into the bargain). :x
  8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

AL1 dated 15 Dec 06

P1, para1:

Delete: 'businessman'

Insert: 'snake-oil salesman'
  9. Someone said in a post on this (Mr (Lord) Draycott"..... didn't know the difference....". I'll bet a pound to a pinch of brown stuff he didn't care either.
  10. Should have made it clearer: the Eye reporter did notice the difference hence the report- it was the BBC who didn't.
  11. What interests me is how that Pr*T Drayson can say that. When questions are asked normally ie PQs we are so careful to send back a brief that cannot be misunderstood by even the most obtuse bugg*r.

Obviously when Journo's ask the question then the political reptiles can lie their heads off.

as for the quality of VIPIR ITCS you are right it is very much bargain basement but much better than nothing.
  12. Is this cnut Drayson's peerage substantive?

I know Jeffrey Archer did time and kept his peerage, but he has a degree of entertainment value, whereas Drayton hasn't.

:roll: Old Adam has one of those mystic, Laphroaig induced moments -

..... a vision of said peer coming up on orders:-

Quick tapping of the boards in front of the CO and then off to see the Brig!

Oh, joy! And Bliar next! Please? : :D :D :D
  13. They are marketed as "cost effective TI" which is, I believe, maketing speak for "botom end", yes.

Umm 300 units cost 2.75million per a q in the house.