Just when you thought Jack Monroe had disappeared....

Now, I'm posting this in the CA forum because, well, it's CA, although I recognise that Mods may move it in order to allow the average Arrser to vent his/her (and in this case, it's) spleen. Mods, do what you will.

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/02/17/my-ready-meal-is-none-of-your-*******-business/

Now, the epic idiocy of the Bath CA in posting his tweet from England's Regency Capital is one thing, his craven removal of said tweet is another and the snowflake (I ******* hate that lazy phrase) reaction from Ms (?) Monroe is a third, but I sense that people like Ms Monroe automatically view themselves as victims in a state of 'learned helplessness' or perhaps more accurately (perhaps sub-consciously), she doesn't see herself in that vein, just the poor saps that she 'supports' by getting them to buy her bestselling book. Secondly, that she actively encourages people to feel hard done by - it is often an attitude thing and, whilst I wholeheartedly agree that there are many people out there deserving of support and succour, there are also many others also who need a boot ***********. How to tell one from the other?

My other concern is what I perceive to be the total national bias in respect of things like this and I can't imagine that if she had a 180 degree change in her political attitudes and ranted away like Goebbels instead of Molotov she'd be allowed to get away with it. I understand (from my fine, upstanding, vegetarian, liberal left leaning sons) that this is because the Left has got the monopoly of making the people believe that they are their saviours in matters such as this - fine by me as a slightly right of centre liberal but only if everyone has their eyes open.

I had only heard about Monroe when she got that result against that epic twat Hopkins who I despise as much if not more - so my question is this: "Why is it that politics seems inexorably driven to extremes, even by fringe players like Monroe or Hopkins (both irredeemably ghastly in their own right) to have any sort of impact?"

Answers on a postcard please.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I can't see what's attracted your ire as it links to a 404 error?

Or, you could just scroll down the original link to the 'My ready meal is none of your ******* business' link.

Perhaps if people stopped talking about her, she would end up in the obscurity she richly deserves?
A classic example of the modern ‘me, me, me’ phenomenon.

Now, I'm posting this in the CA forum because, well, it's CA, although I recognise that Mods may move it in order to allow the average Arrser to vent his/her (and in this case, it's) spleen. Mods, do what you will.

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/02/17/my-ready-meal-is-none-of-your-*******-business/

Now, the epic idiocy of the Bath CA in posting his tweet from England's Regency Capital is one thing, his craven removal of said tweet is another and the snowflake (I ******* hate that lazy phrase) reaction from Ms (?) Monroe is a third, but I sense that people like Ms Monroe automatically view themselves as victims in a state of 'learned helplessness' or perhaps more accurately (perhaps sub-consciously), she doesn't see herself in that vein, just the poor saps that she 'supports' by getting them to buy her bestselling book. Secondly, that she actively encourages people to feel hard done by - it is often an attitude thing and, whilst I wholeheartedly agree that there are many people out there deserving of support and succour, there are also many others also who need a boot ***********. How to tell one from the other?

My other concern is what I perceive to be the total national bias in respect of things like this and I can't imagine that if she had a 180 degree change in her political attitudes and ranted away like Goebbels instead of Molotov she'd be allowed to get away with it. I understand (from my fine, upstanding, vegetarian, liberal left leaning sons) that this is because the Left has got the monopoly of making the people believe that they are their saviours in matters such as this - fine by me as a slightly right of centre liberal but only if everyone has their eyes open.

I had only heard about Monroe when she got that result against that epic twat Hopkins who I despise as much if not more - so my question is this: "Why is it that politics seems inexorably driven to extremes, even by fringe players like Monroe or Hopkins (both irredeemably ghastly in their own right) to have any sort of impact?"

Answers on a postcard please.
Had a look at the article. Its all the fault of rich men,managed to shoehorn grenfell in there,and the current favourite,mental health.

Perhaps if people stopped talking about her, she would end up in the obscurity she richly deserves?
A classic example of the modern ‘me, me, me’ phenomenon.
There'd be a deafening silence about a lot of things if you couldn't at least pass comment, that's a kind of self-censorship.

A totally different discussion.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Or, you could just scroll down the original link to the 'My ready meal is none of your ******* business' link.
Seen, cheers. Apologies also, it's her site rather than your link that's non-intuitive.

On the face of it she has a point but the ellipses are telling. She went hard on the 'indolent or dysfunctional' but chose not to mention the 'don't know how to feed their children' bit which is a far broader church.

Ill-judged original Twitter comment but the sentiment was valid.

Had a look at the article. Its all the fault of rich men,managed to shoehorn grenfell in there,and the current favourite,mental health.
Well quite - but why? That's the question eh?

These Conservatives decided, in their wisdom, to uphold me as an example of someone who could cook well on a meagre budget. Put like that, you may wonder why I exploded in cold fury.
They said: “Indolent or disfunctional parents… simply don’t know how to feed their children well. If…Jack Monroe could feed herself and her child for £10 a week…most people can.”
I exploded.
I'm afraid I read this with an already impending sense of overwhelming ennui. When it became clear that her promises to explode were mere hyperbole, I gave up.

In other news, Frank Field wants to know (again) just how much ORP we've disposed of instead of giving it to the poor for free.

He'd then post another PQ asking to know why we hadn't made any money disposing of it....

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Achievement requires effort - get reading.
I've read lots over the years and I'm a bit bored of it. I've no wish to read something to win a ready meal as I don't have a microwave and all these sort of people bore me lots now. They seem to be constantly upset about something, maybe they need to do Yoga or something, certainly won't help them if I read the essays they write, not many read the ones I did I expect; and I've got qualifications.

Well she got your pulse racing, be wary of wasted heartbeats...
Don’t mistake an interest in contemporary populist left wing politics for something that gets my heart racing, I’m just interested in peoples’ views, outside the NAAFI.

Note that if you think I’m animated by this stuff, I err towards despising the far right, people like Monroe at least seem to have their heart in the right place (ish).

I lack the concentration to read all that she writes, was it good?
Just read the comments. They're hilarious and they all boil down to Jack, I'd love to suck your co...<LeighDay>WE ARE LEGAL REPRESENTATIVES FOR MELISSA HADJICOSTAS. <JackMonroe>Feck off I'm non binary and my name is Jack. I'm suing.</JackMonroe>PLEASE FORWARD YOUR BANK CARD, PIN NUMBER AND MOTHER'S MAIDEN SURNAME TO AVOID LEGAL ACTION</LeighDay>