"Just War" - can I have pointers / a primer, please.

Hello grown-ups

I'm currently arguing with some pinkos who refuse to believe that such a concept could possibly exist, and that every intervention by our Armed Forces is wrong.

Does anyone have a precis or similar that summarises the UKs POV on this

Thank you

BB

Surely any action that is intended to stop the suffering of the civilian population can be considered just

how about this for a hypothetical scenario, A government has a policy akin to apartheid blonde men shot on sight, legal to rape blonde women, blondes can't own property then one day they take it further and all Blondes have to report to the local train station for "relocation"

would it not be just to take military action to stop that happening

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BBC - Ethics - War: What is a Just War?
What is a Just War?

What is a Just War?

Six conditions must be satisfied for a war to be considered just:
  • The war must be for a just cause.
  • The war must be lawfully declared by a lawful authority.
  • The intention behind the war must be good.
  • All other ways of resolving the problem should have been tried first.
  • There must be a reasonable chance of success.
  • The means used must be in proportion to the end that the war seeks to achieve.
How should a Just War be fought?

A war that starts as a Just War may stop being a Just War if the means used to wage it are inappropriate.
  • Innocent people and non-combatants should not be harmed.
  • Only appropriate force should be used.
    • This applies to both the sort of force, and how much force is used.
  • Internationally agreed conventions regulating war must be obeyed.
Buy this: Just War: The Just War Tradition: Ethics in Modern Warfare: Amazon.co.uk: Charles Guthrie, Michael Quinlan: Books

Video of Guthrie Lecture here; What is a 'Just War? | Diocese | Roman Catholic Diocese of Westminster

[video=vimeo;20825924]http://vimeo.com/20825924[/video]

Is your Google broken BB? :lol:

Try this for a starter...BBC - Ethics - War: Just War - introduction

However if they are pinkos, then it doesn't matter what arguments you produce, they will simply turn up their "holier than thou-ometer" and so on this occasion I'm with FJ.

Cuddles you old Arfur

Tried Google; my Google Fu seems to be kranken.

The main protagonist there is a Mod who just zaps my points if they're too good obviously, a rare event )

Hello grown-ups

I'm currently arguing with some pinkos who refuse to believe that such a concept could possibly exist, and that every intervention by our Armed Forces is wrong.

Does anyone have a precis or similar that summarises the UKs POV on this

Thank you

BB
In my opinion this is a beautiful illustration of why one should never argue with an idiot.

They will drag you down to their level and you will lose for want of experience.

LB

You could point out that the BNP share their views, particularly with reference to the Afghan question. What's the website by the way?

Godwin's law applies to this debate... Start ranting about World War II and the importance of stopping Hitler's evil schemes in their infancy.

You know the argument's going to end up there anyway, so why waste time with the foreplay?

...then punch them.

Don't punch them, hit them with a book by St Thomas Aquinas (or Augustine of Hippo). Several times (in hardback, naturally).

Then punch them.

There's even a website - JustWarTheory.com - which has pots of stuff on it (it's probably mentioned somewhere in the wiki page rampant mentions). Although the pinkos would dismiss it because the bloke running it says he is well-disposed towards the military, it contains a host of decent enough links to suggest that either (a.) a lot of people are deluded (b.) the pinkos are less well-informed than they think (even the Guardian has had something about Just War Theory in it before now, FFS!)

Just kick the **** out off them. Then jump on their stupid spastic faces.. repeatedly. Then they'll get the hint, what's just and not.

Just kick the **** out off them. Then jump on their stupid spastic faces.. repeatedly. Then they'll get the hint, what's just and not.

You should apply for The Truth and Reconciliation Commission for Britain and Ireland!! :)

why did you join the army?
because they let us bayonet babies and rape schoolchildren
tends to end the arguement as I've not met anybody who can come up with a response to that

A just war is one which the winner says is just.

Indeed. Demonstrate this - as Fally says - by punching them.

Then, whilst pissing over their prostrate form, explain that with the correct use of force you can do what the **** you like.

Drug them, went they pass out pull down there pants. Shit in there pants. Pull pants back up. When they come to they will think they have shat themselves.

How punch them