Just unveiled this weekend.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Gun_Brickie, Nov 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's five years behind in its completion, but yesterday they finally completed and unveiled to the public the Handley Page Halifax that has been undergoing restoration at CFB Trenton for the past 7 years. I wish I could find some photos of the completed restoration (I saw it in my newspaper today, but I can't find any pics on the internet, but it looks great), but here's a few links about the story:

And the homepage of the Halifax restoration itself:

A fitting time of year for its unveiling. Lest we forget.
  2. Well done them - would imagine they would have had to rebuild this from plans, begged from other museums and then still had to find the people who had the original skills to bring it all together. A labour of love if ever there was one.
  3. I know a certain Dutchman who has probably put this straight on his shrine list.

I did try and find some photos from someone who was almost certainly there, but still waiting to hear back from him
  4. If you would, PTP, could you please post them? The photo I saw in the paper today was a B&W photo from head-on with a line-up of vets in front of the Halifax. It looks as though they've repainted it in its original RAF markings, and I'm happy about that, instead of painting it up as an RCAF machine.
  5. No probs GB ,

Have also dropped a line to the Dutchman , because if it's Halibag, he invariably is one of the first to get it.
  6. Well, seeing as this was such a historical event, it's gone awfully quite on the publicity side. I hope this isn't going to be another National treasure that's going to be hidden.
  7. I found loads of pics at this site:

8. Many thanks Gun_Brickie and some excellent shots. It really is a superb achievement. Doesn't look to me as if it has got any engines but even as a static it's magnificent.

Anyone know if there are any plans to get this back in the air?
  9. It's going to be a permanently static display, unfortunately. The building they've moved it into doesn't have doors wide enough to get it outside, which is a shame. But at least it's a complete airframe, lovingly restored.