Just to say THANKS, and some advice for new recruits

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by WeeAlly, Mar 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well just thought id leave a thread to say thanks for the help the site gave me before and during training. Thats me pass out on Friday can't wait been good 6 months, hard but worth it.

For those just about to go to catterick depending on your training team it wont be easy the course is designed to bring you out your comfort zone and push you but it is passable by all. Just knuckle down and get on with it there will be times you feel down specially weeks 1-5 i hated them but everything is done for a reason this you realise further on in the course. Open your ears and eyes but keep the mouth shut you will soon learn to keep quiet on parade. Made some good freinds and had few good times some really funny during exercises and in the evening back at camp.

Dont worry and enjoy the course and good luck
  2. Well done matey, obviously the hard work really starts when you hit Bn so keep listening to those with experience, keep working hard and the rewards will be yours.
  3. All the best for your future career in the army and well done, they'll be tougher times ahead but also the best of times as well.
  4. "They," reckon the odds of passing Basic Training from the time you first walk into the Recruiting Office are 14 to 1 against.
    It's no mean feat passing basic.Lots don't.
    Well done and good luck!
  5. cheers for the replies looking forward to my career and the challanges ahead
  6. Well done. Keep up the good work.
  7. Where they the odds quoted when you applied? ;)
  8. I would go nearer to 30 to 1 especially with the standards we expect at the moment, grit and determination is whats needed, getting through the first 7 weeks and not taking the DAOR option as soon as it appears after week 4.

Good luck with your career, stay safe and when the going does get tough use everything you have been taught and the team skills and Im sure you will do well.
  9. Our platoon has lost 55-60% of its original recruits which is quite surprising. We have people leaving still despite not having long to go, absolute madness but hey ho.

Well done WeeAlly, it's another 6weeks before our mob joins you :D
  10. Funny you should say......yes it was 14:1when I passed out.
    30:1 nowdays wouldnt surprise me.
    I got back squadded twice in basic.No one was more surprised than me when I passed out........
    Longest basic ever. I was there for an extra 10 weeks on the biff!
    Dropped the ammo tin on my foot on the ACFT thingy because the handle came off-risk assessments and bollocked PTI's all over the place when they carted me off. It broke a metatarsal I reckon because it was The Armies fault and I never complained thats why they kept me!
  11. we started off with 48 guys we now have 30 guys passing out and of those 30 guys left 6 are back sqaudders. within the first 5 weeks id say 6 wanted out DOAR
  12. What's DOAR stand for? It was PVR in my day.
  13. Discharge as of right up until week 12, then people leave under "unhappy soldier" or whatever it is after that period.
  14. Thanks mate. I think it used to be Personal Voluntary Release (PVR) when I went through. Could be wrong though.
  15. DAOR and PVR are two different things.

One is to get you out of training because your t1ts and f4nny hurt, the other was used to pay the Army to allow you leave before your contract had expired.

BJD you probably heard the term PVR used to describe DAOR by those who didn't really know the difference and weren't around when the phrases such as 'Don't buy a tele, don't buy a car, save all your money and PVR' were oft found in sangers and guard boxes.

Well done weeally, you can take your place with some of the best young men and women Britain has and look down on the civvie scum as the weak plebian tax producers they are (or should be).