just TA?

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by barbarasson, Nov 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The TA has mobilised hundreds of soldiers and many officers onto recent operations. There has been no outcry against the standard of work provided, indeed it is often highly praised (while recognising there are poorer soldiers in the TA and regular army). The proof of one Army.

or is it?

Recently there have been a number of incidents that make it clear that a large part of the regimental hierarchy has an active distaste for the reservist gunners. One particular incident has caused this rant but the person involved would be easily identifiable and might suffer, so I will give some other examples.

- At the last regimental interest day at RMAS one first term former TA gunner was told that the TA ra 'isn't the same thing as the real gunners'

- Officers with Div cmdrs commendations from TELIC are blocked from transferring their commissions, despite glowing reports and the oppropriate amouts of FTRS and operational service (does this mean that they can be trusted in war fighting, but not training and admin?.)

- TA field officer can no longer expect any real hope of commanding their regiments (one field officer who has spent many years on ftrs in rank and commanded all the batteries of his regiment has been turned down twice. )

So, has anyone else experienced this? Do the regular element think we are pointless? Before the humourous answers come in, can they also explain away the 7 TA regiments that are maintained, or the money invested.

I am immensely proud to be a gunner, and I am getting rather depressed at being quite so p##sed off at my regiment.

2. And? I'm sure the Paras would tell the Anglians they aren't real soldiers, banter,stand up for yourself .
    Can't comment about the officer stuff but so far I have never had any dramas with the Regs.

3. These TA soldiers should turn around next time their mobilisation papers come through the letterbox and say "Get Fvcked". Since they are not the same as "real" gunners, they shouldn't have to fight alongside the "real" gunners in their "real" fvcking wars.
    Have you noticed though, the majority of the regular soldiers who say this are usually the type you wouldnt trust with a knife and fork, let alone a weapon. I must stress though, when I was mobilised all of my regular counterparts were gleaming blokes (bar your token one or two) and i got on tremendously with them. As always though, you have to stand up for yourself, take the banter, and give it back ten fold. I used to wind the lads up by saying things like "how come us stab tw@ts, with our crappy training etc etc, are still better than you lot???". Give it them straight back mate, both barrels!

4. oh yes, no one seems to have probs on ops, it is the attitude in uk towards careers that is main focus of my anger. I'd just like to add that I haven't suffered this, but I see it around me a lot. Good people being f###ed about and off. It is the regiment that loses out eventually, through the actions of these biased people.

5. And? I'm sure the Paras would tell the Anglians they aren't real soldiers, banter,stand up for yourself .

excellent point, but the problems aren't at the banter level

6. msr

msr LE

Had a legendary double take with an RA SSM at a visit to the APOD in Basra, we both turned to each other and said simultaneously "I didn't realise you were TA!"

msr

7. Do not take this quite yet as gospel but I think that if you do TA Main Board and TACC (TA Sandhurst) and so are a TA officer should you then want to go regular then you dont have to dp RCB but go straight to RMAS. In my view this looks right as if you went straight in a a reg officer it would be a short cut and there would be knowledge gaps that would probably career foul you later.
    Quite agree about everyone needs someone to look down on

8. Do not take this quite yet as gospel but I think that if you do TA Main Board and TACC (TA Sandhurst) and so are a TA officer should you then want to go regular then you dont have to dp RCB but go straight to RMAS. In my view this looks right as if you went straight in a a reg officer it would be a short cut and there would be knowledge gaps that would probably career foul you later.
    Quite agree about everyone needs someone to look down on

9. a difference between a subbie wanting to do it and 35 yr old majors. Issue re YOs is also issue of TA service being held against people, let alone it simply not counting for anything