Just stumbled across this on Amazon..

An esteemed Historian and Falklands expert, known to the Arrserati, has a new publication out, linky:

"Last Letters from Stanley" by Mr Ricky D Phillips (Author).
Amazon product
Posting this for information should anyone wish to educate themselves further on his chosen subjects..

Edit: Couldn't help noticing that the publication date is 1st April...

Last edited:

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
As the detritus of war was burned or buried over time, healing the scars across the land, which faded faster than the scars in the minds of the men who fought in this terrible conflict, one bundle of papers survived.

Holy run-on sentence Batman!

I'm not sure how Mr Ricky D Phillips qualifies as a veteran historian. He's neither a veteran, nor a historian. Also, how the bloody hell does he justify nearly £20 for his tat?

I wonder if he will turn up here, spouting his exaggerated misremembrances.

Holy run-on sentence Batman!

I'm not sure how Mr Ricky D Phillips qualifies as a veteran historian. He's neither a veteran, nor a historian. Also, how the bloody hell does he justify nearly £20 for his tat?

I wonder if he will turn up here, spouting his exaggerated misremembrances.
It crossed my mind that he'll show up sooner or later...

endure

GCM
"As the detritus of war was burned or buried over time, healing the scars across the land, which faded faster than the scars in the minds of the men who fought in this terrible conflict, one bundle of papers survived."

Sounds a bit like the intro to all the Flashman novels...

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I just read the sample pages from Amazon.

He has a foreword where he bigs himself up immensely which rattles on for about six pages, then an introduction where he carries on bigging himself up immensely before getting to the point.

As he says, he was ready to fly out to Argentina and the Falklands and do all his actual research, but COVID got in the way, so he thought: "Sod it."

Or words to that effect.

On the sobering side, he does mention that his wife has been gravely ill and that he has Aspergers Syndrome, which does make me feel a twinge of sympathy for him, although someone on here posited the Aspergers' diagnosis ages ago.

Either way, I think I'd rather give my money to a homeless person than buy this piece of self-indulgent nonsense.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
"As the detritus of war was burned or buried over time, healing the scars across the land, which faded faster than the scars in the minds of the men who fought in this terrible conflict, one bundle of papers survived."

Sounds a bit like the intro to all the Flashman novels...

I hear that in the movie trailer guy's voice. "In a woooorllld where blah blah happened, ooooonnnneeeee bundle of papers suuuuurrvivvved."

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Well at least two folk on Amazon think its excellent!

Daz

LE
Well at least two folk on Amazon think its excellent!
Yes the two reviews are from a Mr R D Phillips and a Mr Phillips, both of whom manage to get a plug in for his previous pile of crap.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

ches

LE
We could always start tagging the belter again & see how long it takes for the mong to appear to defend his latest super dooper researched pile of shite.

Chef

LE
'Ricky' just doesn't work as a proper name for a serious historian or author.

If professor Holmes had published any of his military works using 'Ricky' as his name he'd have ended up as a passed over TA lance jack, teaching remedial history in the local comprehensive.

'Redcoats' by Ricky Holmes. I ask you.

Latest Threads