Just reviewed this pic again and

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by ugly, Sep 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Supposed CO RGJ mid 70's

Surely he is wearing body armour as in an INIBA under his jacket. That must put him post 82?
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Ugly - you have too much time on your hands, go to Bisley more.

ps - you didn't wave to me either - and I was watching the 500m point!!
  3. I know him: complete and utter, total cnut: made 2 star, commanded staff college, despised pompous arrsed wnaker: name will come to me - and yes, he is an ex RGJ CO, and that is an NI picture. Jeez - that's a bad taste from the past. Date sounds about right. What a useless fcuker he was... I think, although I may be wrong, that he's the tw@t who had a 432 parked in his house by an aggrieved rifleman... :lol:
  4. Hope the name doesn't come back or the thread gets locked. Please read site policy. If you must pass the name (as a reminder) please do it by pm.

5. A number of things suggest the mid to late 70s.

Rover with clarabel. When was it removed?

Storno radio

May not have his flack jacket on, as all COs are bullet proof.
  6. Dog, I've done so, because someone else has reminded me of the useless knobber's name: but, out of interest, which bit of site policy is against naming the individual? He's bugger all to do with current ops (thank God), and we all love our Irish friends now - that's official Government policy - so what prevents a soldier from the past being named? Not like Major Loden, after all?

(Edit - have skimmed the 'policy' bits - can't find anything specific, but fair enough - wouldn't want the site to degenerate into a slag-fest...)
  7. The fingers look very PhotoShopped?
  8. Cap badge looks more Royal Marines than RGJ.
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You are right it is. Having been very sad and downloaded it and then zoomed in, you can see where the extra digit was added (and no it was not the one finger salute!!!)

And yes the capbadge is RGJ ( which Jolly would wear the Globe & Laurel front and centre like that???)
  10. If photoshopped, it's quite impressive for its time - I first saw it at least ten years ago - if not more. I can definitely confirm, he is RGJ... In the spirit of 'nice Arrse', I'm saying no more on this subject, much as I'd love to...Ho Hum, Rum Ti Tum...
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Storno was still in 1983, as was clarabell. If anything the jacket badge looks more like a chaplains.
    Still as Nibbler says why think about it he was unique to say the least!
  12. Bit off topic but here goes.

As it happens I was enjoying Bisley on Sunday, do you ever get that feeling that you know somebody that you have never met?

Well I fired a detail in the morning with a bloke who seemed to be in touch with reality and commonsense, in fact my sort of bloke.
    We chatted between details and I started to get the sort of feeling that I vaguely knew him from somewhere else.
    It took a bit of courage (well a lot actually) I drew my self up to my full height and asked the question that I had been dreading to ask............er....em...excuse..er... me but.........."are you ugly?" :oops:

To my relief and delight it was ugly!
    He called me a "drop short", I called him a grunt, my God this thread is turning into a Johnny Cash song!
    We shot the next detail together and he showed me his MAS (does it really make that noise everytime you pull the trigger ugly?) he admired my SMLE and afterwards he bought me the biggest ice cream seen in Surrey since the ice age with a chocolate flake to match that looked like a whooley mamouth had just dumped it.
    And that fellow arrsers is a far better meeting of two souls than all of the bollocks I have heard coming out of the lonley hearts forum all day.
    That old saying is true, it takes one to know one!
    Good to meet you ugly, my shout for the ice cream next time. :D
  13. Storno/pye pegasus/string and tin cans was replace by cougar province wide in 1985-87. Clarabell was utter shite, most units by 85' had removed them. INBA was optional and up to Bde/Bn uitill 86 when HQNI directive made it compulsory for all on Ops to ware it along with the spanky plaggy bone dome. Most units in S Armagh didn't bother with INBA as the chances of it saving you from a 500 pounder were quite slim
  14. Ugly,

I thought that I might throw in a tuppenceworth for the fun of it.

I have seen some pics of units deployed on Motorman in 72 that had the unusual habit of wearing the old pattern flak jacket under their combat jackets! Strange I know, however also the paras on deployment in NI at one stage......poss during Bloody Sunday were deffo seen with flaks under smocks. 8)

Food for thought regarding the date??

15. If it is who I think it is, he commanded an RGJ Bn in the early 80s. I came accross him later when he was a 2 star. Can't say that I thought any more highly of him than others have alluded to in this thread.