Just replaced my PC - need to learn Win 10

Asking for a friend...... no really, well SWMBO actually!

She has just gone from a Chromebook to a new shiny Win 10 laptop. One of our pals who is in IT suggested she put 'DuckDuckGo' on it. I've read up on it, despite being a Luddite, and it seems to be pretty good.

Anyone use it? Pros? Cons?
I use it as part of the Brave browser. It's discreet and works happily with Ad blocker installed. I have it installed on both a Win 7 Pro desktop and a Win 10 laptop and it chugs along with no dramas. Don't know if it will work on Win 11, but as neither of my two computers have chips that are approved by Micro$oft for Win 11, I won't be upgrading anytime soon. Win 10 is supposed to be supported through October 2025 at least.

On the DDG homepage you can always use - !g or !guk to search on google direct.
!auk will take you to amazon's homepage as well
I have a bookmark tab set for 'www.google.com/ncr' which takes me directly to google US, rather any other version in whatever country I may be. (The NCR stands for 'No Country Redirect' and is pretty useful to know). If anything, Google.com is better than google.co.uk unless you are searching for UK specific answers.

Also, if you are searching for anything on a different country's version of Amazon. Searching for what you want on Amazon.com first gives you enough clues to find it in any language you like. Quite often, once you have the name, just type that directly into Amazon.de or whatever, in English, and you will be taken to the same item.

No Boots

Old-Salt
There are literally thousands of "!" shortcuts on ddg, i.e !ade or !afr for german & froggie versions of amazon etc same with google !g, !guk, !gtr or !b for bing.
As you say google uk does sometimes lack a lot of results.
DuckDuckGo !Bang

endure

GCM
I have a bookmark tab set for 'www.google.com/ncr' which takes me directly to google US, rather any other version in whatever country I may be. (The NCR stands for 'No Country Redirect' and is pretty useful to know). If anything, Google.com is better than google.co.uk unless you are searching for UK specific answers.

Also, if you are searching for anything on a different country's version of Amazon. Searching for what you want on Amazon.com first gives you enough clues to find it in any language you like. Quite often, once you have the name, just type that directly into Amazon.de or whatever, in English, and you will be taken to the same item.
There's a browser extension called Keepa which gives you a price history of anything you look at on Amazon. It also gives you the price of the article on other Amazon sites apart from the UK.

keepa.JPG

Yokel

LE
I still find the way it displays files and folders to be a bit confusing - sometimes by date, but at other times in alphabetical order. It is a bit awkward with legacy files that were on the old machine. When I use the printer, it does not default to printing on both sides of the paper, and there is sometimes a line along the left edge of the page.

Apart from this it is easy - but I struggle to find the right application/icon/thing to scan documents, and I keep getting annoying pop ups on Googke Chrome.

Latest Threads