Just replaced my PC - need to learn Win 10

tgo

LE
It's not that uncommon, certainly years ago if you ummm... sailed the high seas Arrrrrrr RAR was pretty much everywhere.

I wonder how sensible or otherwise it would be to download some sort of programming language and the things associated with that? Or would it be better to use an old laptop or something?

Neither.

(ETA: This, incidentally, is the same distributed development technology that the noted HTML "expert", @amazing__lobster, rather too loudly pooh-poohed a couple of years back as "impossible", because "developers all had to be at the same physical location".)

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
It's not that uncommon, certainly years ago if you ummm... sailed the high seas Arrrrrrr RAR was pretty much everywhere.

Especially on the newsgroup binary sites. It was the best way to get Aria Giovanni, Jennifer Walcott and Patricia Ford growler piccies.

I wonder how sensible or otherwise it would be to download some sort of programming language and the things associated with that? Or would it be better to use an old laptop or something?
What do you want a language for is the question to the question.

For any sort of scientific work, complex calculations or large scale data handling you really need an SQL database and a language (something like Python, which is probably the most common scientific language used, although there are plenty of others MATLAB, R etc).

For most domestic/personal use Excel is probably fine. It's simple and fairly logical as we are used to thinking in terms of lists and tables. You can extend it's functionality with Visual Basic. It is pretty universal and integrates well into Word and other apps for printing labels, mailshots etc.

So if you just want to catalogue your books. albums, club members etc it will be fine (up to the million and a bit rows limit - if you need to catalogue more than a million books, albums or club members you need a bit more oomph - and a bigger house).

Depending on what you want to do with it, you already have a scripting language. A Javascript interpreter is built into just about any modern browser. Certainly Chrome, Edge, Opera, Firefox, Safari etc.

As an example, copy and paste this code into Notepad, and save as ”test.html” on your desktop.

HTML:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Arrse</title>
</head>

<body>
Hello Yokel
   <script>
    alert( 'Hello, world!' );
   </script>
</body>

</html>

*Note - Arrse software inserts the “HTML:” line, start with the “<DOCTYPE” line.

Once saved, you should be able to double-click it and it will open in your default browser. The bit between the script tags is JavaScript, and you can play with that to your heart’s content. This is an extremely simple example with an inline script (ie the script is embedded in the html), but you can reference external scripts.

There are many, many online tutorials, 101s, references etc, just Google.

if you enjoy messing about with that, I would suggest Microsoft Visual Studio Code as a good editor to play with JS. It’s also an example of an Electron app, which lets you write fully-fledged, cross-platform applications in JavaScript.

Yokel

LE
I am interested in doing a bit of programming as a hobby - and if it helps improve my employability and get back into an engineering position then that would be a massive bonus.

I have never used Visual Basic - in the past I have used different versions of of Basic, and a bit of C - and some assembly langauge.

One place I worked at had automated test equipment that had been programmed using C.

Last edited:
I am interesed in doing a bit of programming as a hobby - and if it helps improve my employability and get back into an engineering position then that would be a massive bonus.

I have never used Visual Basic - in the past I have used different versions of of Basic, and a bit of C - and some assembly langauge.

One place I worked at had automated test equipment that had been programmed using C.
If you are interested in programming, then I would suggest Python. There are loads of free tutorials on it that start from ground zero, and it is very commonly used as an introductory programming language as well as for all sorts of professional and scientific uses. It's one of the most widely programming languages in the world.

One of the big advantages of Python is the "batteries included" philosophy. There are all sorts of features which come bundled in with it that are third party libraries in other languages. That means that when you want to learn to use for example a database, there are several different ones which came with it. This has the advantage that the tutorials tend to be written with those features in mind, meaning that you've already got everything you need rather than having to hunt down third party stuff to install.

Python is free and open source, and can be downloaded from Welcome to Python.org

To write code you will need a text editor (creates plain text, not word processing formats). There are numerous ones out there, and many of the best ones are free and open source. I use Geany on Linux, but there is a Windows version as well. Notepad++ (not the same thing as regular Windows Notepad) is also spoken highly of for Windows, although I haven't used it myself. There is no reason to spend any money on an editor.

Most programming editors will do syntax highlighting for you, which means that it colour different "words" in your program in different colours, which helps you to spot errors as you are typing. That is something which bottom end editors won't do.

Some people will recommend using an editor that does a lot more hand holding for you, in terms of automatically analysing your code and making suggestions for what you should be typing next. This is called by various names, but a generic term for it is "code completion". Very experienced programmers may benefit from this (although many find this annoying and turn it off), but it's not what you want if you are starting out learning, as you can get overwhelmed by all the stuff the editor is trying to do for you behind the scenes and lose track of what you are trying to learn. Basic syntax highlighting on the other hand is much less obtrusive while still giving you feedback if you typed a word wrong.

Finally, some editors are gigantic in terms of size and memory consumption while others are very small. The former can be slow to start up, while the latter start quickly. The difference can be down to how the editor was created rather than what features it has. If you just want to do a few quick tutorial lessons when the mood strikes you, something that starts quickly will be better.

Yokel

LE
I keep getting really annoying pop ups - all the time. How can I get rid of them? I was trying to check some train times on the National Rail website, and tried to click on the thing to say I was happy with cookies, but I could not click on it due to these things popping up.

Arrrgh!

I keep getting really annoying pop ups - all the time. How can I get rid of them? I was trying to check some train times on the National Rail website, and tried to click on the thing to say I was happy with cookies, but I could not click on it due to these things popping up.

Arrrgh!
Firefox+NoScript.

Takes a little bit of getting used to and settting up. Once Noscript has your preferences saved for your commonly visited websites, it'll be a breeze to visit them without constant annoying popups..

Arrrgh!
Are these pop-ups happening at all web sites, or are they just happening at the National Rail site? If they are happening at multiple sites then you may have some malware infecting your web browser, either as a virus or as an add-on that has gone rogue. If they are only happening at National Rail, then they may have a problem in their server (e.g. they got hacked).

I don't use Windows, so someone who does will have to be the one to tell you what to do about this.

Yokel

LE
Another things that really bugs me (no pun intended) at start up is PC Helpsoft Driver Updater - all the time. How do I get rid of that? Can I just uninstall things like in the old days of XP?

I am still forgetting where to find things. Does it have System Restore?

Arrrgh!

If you are using Chrome then get AdBlock. Probably works for Edge as well.

Kills most ads and all pop-ups. (Not the consent form though as that is a legal thang).

Another things that really bugs me (no pun intended) at start up is PC Helpsoft Driver Updater - all the time. How do I get rid of that? Can I just uninstall things like in the old days of XP?

I am still forgetting where to find things. Does it have System Restore?

Type Create a restore point into the search box bottom left.. Click the app in the right hand box..

OR - Go to the System Protection tab in System Properties

Either way select Create and go for it.

Beware of the latest Windows 10 patches:

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
A MS update breaking the system?

How quaint.

And how typical of MS.
Early Win10 updates used to wipe our printer drivers and meant having to reinstall the printer every month. This went on for about 6 months of Win10 updates.

Did i mention that I hate Micro$oft?

Asking for a friend...... no really, well SWMBO actually!

She has just gone from a Chromebook to a new shiny Win 10 laptop. One of our pals who is in IT suggested she put 'DuckDuckGo' on it. I've read up on it, despite being a Luddite, and it seems to be pretty good.

Anyone use it? Pros? Cons?

Asking for a friend...... no really, well SWMBO actually!

She has just gone from a Chromebook to a new shiny Win 10 laptop. One of our pals who is in IT suggested she put 'DuckDuckGo' on it. I've read up on it, despite being a Luddite, and it seems to be pretty good.

Anyone use it? Pros? Cons?
It is OK and you generally find what you want, but it is not as targeted as Google. Also I find the maps and images are not as good. On the other hand, it doesn't store your searches or track you across the internet. It also doesn't care if you're using an ad-blocker or other privacy tool.

Latest Threads