Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just replaced my PC - need to learn Win 10

Yokel

LE
You could also try and upset some people by claiming you have a 5 1/2 inch floppy*

*Everyone else will just laugh at you :)

It was five and a half inches floppy, but when hard it was only three and a half....

I have always wondered how hard or easy it would be to sell services over the net, but that is a topic for another thread. I once came across a website that offered some free stuff but to access the rest you had to phone for a password that changed every week.

Yokel

LE
Hopefully this will not count as a really dumb question, but does Win 10 have a System Restore function? I was minding my own business looking up stuff on the net and suddenly it started using Microsoft Bing for searches - why? Why can I not seem to be able to change back to Google since I am using Google Chrome?

bcsack

Old-Salt
Hopefully this will not count as a really dumb question, but does Win 10 have a System Restore function? I was minding my own business looking up stuff on the net and suddenly it started using Microsoft Bing for searches - why? Why can I not seem to be able to change back to Google since I am using Google Chrome?
Really ffs ! Buddy take a fkin really basic user course somewhere. You only need to "change your default search engine" - google it & happy new year

endure

GCM
In Chrome top right hand corner - click the 3 little dots - select settings - select search engine from list on left - change to what you want.

Yes - there is a System Restore function. You don't need it to reset your browser though.

If you missed out Windows 8 then 10 probably does look a bit different. That difference is mostly in presentation and structure, not in underlying functionality.

Without taking the piss there are plenty of books on Windows 10 and W10 for Seniors, Dummies etc.

Try here for some free downloads: windows 10 seniors: free download. Ebooks library. On-line books store on Z-Library

Yokel

LE
Alright - a picture paints a thousands words.

I started this this:

1609591085702.png

What to I want Google to find? Err - try "weather forecast":

1609591186166.png

Click on Google search, and see what happens:

1609591273154.png

Microsoft Bing? Why? How do I change I back - now that I have started getting used to Google Chrome?

I an effort to show that I do have one or two functional brain cells, I did find an option for browser preferences and have removed Bing from the list:

1609591488319.png

Restart and see what happens...

1609592308746.png

Oh FFS! Also all of a suddenly I have things popping up to warn me about viruses and offering me the chances to meet local women..

I just want it to work like it did at 1800Z yesterday...

Attachments

• 1609591248189.png
    1609591248189.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 1609592070143.png
    1609592070143.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I think your issue is with MS Edge. Bing is a search engine.

You will find it difficult to exterminate Edge as it is an integral part of Windows.

Go here for instructions on setting Chrome to your default browser. Make Chrome your default browser - Computer - Google Chrome Help

Go here for instructions on how to set Google as your default search engine:

Yokel

LE
I am not entirely she why I care about this - but a Google search results in a page of Microsoft Bing search results? How?

1609593513281.png

Remove all search engines apart from Google.

1609593603760.png

Do Google search - 'Pies':

1609593692583.png

Get Bing results. ????

Will this cause problems with Chrome?

Some suggestions here:

I think your issue is with MS Edge. Bing is a search engine.

You will find it difficult to exterminate Edge as it is an integral part of Windows.

Go here for instructions on setting Chrome to your default browser. Make Chrome your default browser - Computer - Google Chrome Help

Go here for instructions on how to set Google as your default search engine:
I managed to get rid of Edge, but the next serious update re-installs it. I am not smart enough to sandbox updates then select only the ones I want, even if I could understand them. The whole update process is opaque to the private user and inflexible.

I am not going tinkering in the registry, so I guess I just have to live with the inconvenience.

I never use Edge, always Chrome or Firefox, but you are right, it's more trouble than it's worth to remove it. I just make sure it is never my default program (I refuse to call it an app) for web browsing. However, after then last MS update, it became my default to open .pdf files, and I had to change the default program for Adobe Acrobat files.

Yokel

LE
Some suggestions here:

Many thanks.

If you have encountered TDSS, or a variant, restoring your computer to a point before the infection, using the System Restore utility, may be the easiest and fastest way to remove it.

This type of solution appeals to me. Next question, where do I find System Restore?

anglo

LE
Alright - a picture paints a thousands words.

I started this this:

View attachment 535271

What to I want Google to find? Err - try "weather forecast":

View attachment 535274

Click on Google search, and see what happens:

View attachment 535278

Microsoft Bing? Why? How do I change I back - now that I have started getting used to Google Chrome?

I an effort to show that I do have one or two functional brain cells, I did find an option for browser preferences and have removed Bing from the list:

View attachment 535283

Restart and see what happens...

View attachment 535286

Oh FFS! Also all of a suddenly I have things popping up to warn me about viruses and offering me the chances to meet local women..

I just want it to work like it did at 1800Z yesterday...
Sounds as if you have a "candy" virus
Download this and do a scan, remove anything it finds, wait two hours and run another scan
it should be clean then if not, post scan results on here

It's Adw cleaner you want to run

Yokel

LE
Tried System Recovery - but for some reason it will not complete. Try again?

Tried the Adw thing - makes not difference, even when it did a basic repair. Nothing found.

I did undo the failed restore, and then worked out I could do a restore to how it was on 19 December 20, so I selected that and it seems to have worked:

1609603104009.png

Google search > Google results page.

It was a great way to learn about Win10 - I really out to try to get a book or something!

@Yokel,
As per @endure's post above, what Anti-Virus are you currently using? How often are you running scans?

Tried System Recovery - but for some reason it will not complete. Try again?

Tried the Adw thing - makes not difference, even when it did a basic repair. Nothing found.

I did undo the failed restore, and then worked out I could do a restore to how it was on 19 December 20, so I selected that and it seems to have worked:

View attachment 535327

Google search > Google results page.

It was a great way to learn about Win10 - I really out to try to get a book or something!

Holy fackin jeezus.

You have to set a Restore Point to restore to. Then at a later date W10 will restore to this. You can't restore from nothing.

If you want to just check all they system files are present and correct:
  • In the search box on the taskbar, type cmd. Right click and select "run as administrator"*. Hit yes
  • type in DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press enter
  • when its done type exit.
  • sfc/scannow and press Enter
Then switch PC off. Put in box. Return to sender.

Edit * make sure your user account is set to administrator. (I'm trying to get the answers in before the questions now!).

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
@Yokel,
As per @endure's post above, what Anti-Virus are you currently using? How often are you running scans?

Nothing - as it was a new PC and then I was not using it much over Christmas, as I could use my mobile phone for e-mail, internet, and ARRSE, but now I have important stuff to do. Sensitive files on the hard drives - medical etc.

Holy fackin jeezus.

You have to set a Restore Point to restore to. Then at a later date W10 will restore to this. You can't restore from nothing.

If you want to just check all they system files are present and correct:
  • In the search box on the taskbar, type cmd. Right click and select "run as administrator". Hit yes
  • type in DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press enter
  • sfc/scannow and press Enter
Then switch PC off. Put in box. Return to sender.

I did have a Restore Point, but it did not seem to work, so I tried again with an earlier one, and it did work. I am new to Win10 remember.

anglo

LE
What are you trying to do, recover your computer or reset your browser?

Browser IE, Chrome or fire
If it's the browser,
Uninstall and reinstall it,

<Start>
<settings>
<Apps>
<apps and Features>
Look for Chrome, <L click> on it uninstall it,
Go to Chrome website an install again

Latest Threads