Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just replaced my PC - need to learn Win 10

tgo

War Hero
Right click on the graph -> View Network Details.

Doesn't show packets but does show bytes.
If you click beyond that to 'open resource monitor' you see even more stuff, although I have to say, seriously. Who the fcuk wants to see packets?? you must have the ultimate in boredom if you want to see the smallest amount of data travelling around that its possible to see, short of counting electrons...

Yokel

LE
If you click beyond that to 'open resource monitor' you see even more stuff, although I have to say, seriously. Who the fcuk wants to see packets?? you must have the ultimate in boredom if you want to see the smallest amount of data travelling around that its possible to see, short of counting electrons...

If I could count individual electrons would qualify for a Nobel Prize - and be a pioneer of Quantum Computing.

Yes I was very bored and the reason for counting incoming packets was that every hour counted as one employee in my imaginary company, or million pounds of turnover, or girlies in the magazine every year. I blame lockdown.

Openshell will turn the playschool W10 GUI into something more sensible that Yokel will not need to learn to get to grips with as he already knows it.

There's a great deal to be gained and very little to be lost by using it.

It's the menu 'tiles' that threw me (I think they appeared with Win 8. A confusing, intrusive and seemingly random mosaic of nonsense. Classic Shell allowed me to get back to something that was more orderly, intuitive and manageable. Even with Classic Shell, I've never quite managed to get explorer to behave as I'd want it.

Microsoft itself seems to be going down the road of abandoning tiles. It's quite a common theme with MS. They introduce a new feature, loudly trumpeting it as 'the future' and within a version or two, surreptitiously consign it to history by degree.

RonS

Clanker
I have just replaced my old PC. It was like Trigger's broom, and ran XP, which caused problems. I know have a second hand one from a local company - along with a much larger (and new) screen. It is working - I will set the printer up tomorrow.

How is the easiest way to get to grips with Windows 10, particularly file handing and stuff?

Also, at the risk of appearing to be the sad git I am, does it allow you to see the number of packets you are downloading?

RonS

Clanker
If I could count individual electrons would qualify for a Nobel Prize - and be a pioneer of Quantum Computing.

Yes I was very bored and the reason for counting incoming packets was that every hour counted as one employee in my imaginary company, or million pounds of turnover, or girlies in the magazine every year. I blame lockdown.
I find it useful in W10 when i'm stuck to ask Google - W10 How do I....... - i usually get the answer and learn a little more.

Here is Windows 10 showing bytes sent and received, on a live basis. Your PC may show things a bit differently, but it's there.

win10bytes.png

Yokel

LE
No good to be - I need to count the packets, so I can work out..... Look, some of us found Lockdown hard.

I seem to have installed the printer drivers, but I had to sign up to HP Cloud? WTF? Anyway, I have managed to scan to my PC, but printing just result in an output of blank sheets. I recall I took to new ink cartridges out when I could not get it working before.

Yokel

LE
My unsatisfying pastime of counting packets of data is over. I could probably find a packet counter on the net, but why bother? A small price to pay for faster downloads.

On a more productive note, I am now using Google Chrome and not Firefox. Does Chrome allow favourite sites to be saved?

Last edited:
No good to be - I need to count the packets, so I can work out..... Look, some of us found Lockdown hard.

I seem to have installed the printer drivers, but I had to sign up to HP Cloud? WTF? Anyway, I have managed to scan to my PC, but printing just result in an output of blank sheets. I recall I took to new ink cartridges out when I could not get it working before.
Inkjet printers are a pain in the proverbial. Get a laser.

endure

GCM
My unsatisfying pastime of counting packets of data is over. I could probably find a packet counter on the net, but why bother? A small price to pay for faster downloads.

On a more productive note, I am not using Google Chrome and not Firefox. Does Chrome allow favourite sites to be saved?
What are you using?

endure

GCM

You don't need to sign up to anything. What is the model of the HP printer you have?

Do you live in the Midlands?

Yokel

LE
Doh! That was a typo. I AM using Google Chrome but cannot see any way of saving favourite sites.

I am going to have a play with the Win 10 settings to see what it can do. The XP network setting included a count of packets transmitted and received.

Doh! That was a typo. I AM using Google Chrome but cannot see any way of saving favourite sites.

I am going to have a play with the Win 10 settings to see what it can do. The XP network setting included a count of packets transmitted and received.

Yes it does. They’re called Bookmarks, like nearly every browser. I use a Mac, and it‘s ⌘-D, so I would expect it’s Ctrl-D on Windows.

tgo

War Hero
Inkjet printers are a pain in the proverbial. Get a laser.
Depends on the OPs needs, if he prints out photos for examples, lasers are useless. I just got a 'megatank' oo er miissus inkjet, where it solves the issue of the small cartridges drying up if not used for a while by having big fcuk off reservoirs filled by bottle instead. Expensive, to buy but cheaper in the long run as you don't have to replace expensive cartridges/print heads frequently.

If you're used to using Firefox then go back to using Firefox. If you want to try out Chrome, then do that later after you've got everything else sorted out on your new computer.

You don't need to sign up to anything. What is the model of the HP printer you have?

Do you live in the Midlands?
HP sell some ink jet printers on the basis of you have to pay per page printed. Every time you print something the printer software sends the page count off to the "cloud" and charges you for it. If you don't pay up, then HP disables your printer over the Internet.

I've got a Samsung black and white laser printer made in 2004, and it's still going strong. It's been vastly cheaper to own and keep running than an ink jet printer would have been.

Sabretooth

War Hero
M
I have just replaced my old PC. It was like Trigger's broom, and ran XP, which caused problems. I know have a second hand one from a local company - along with a much larger (and new) screen. It is working - I will set the printer up tomorrow.

How is the easiest way to get to grips with Windows 10, particularly file handing and stuff?

Also, at the risk of appearing to be the sad git I am, does it allow you to see the number of packets you are downloading?
My only complaint with Windows 10 is it automatically updates without you knowing and it's impossible to stop it from doing so. If Microsoft wants you to have it, you get it, Why? Because they have to satisfy their paying Programme Suppliers and Gaming Providers.
You can stop a program by going to Administration and clicking on Services, there you can stop and delete some programs but they will be reactivated when you get the next automatic Update.

HP sell some ink jet printers on the basis of you have to pay per page printed. Every time you print something the printer software sends the page count off to the "cloud" and charges you for it. If you don't pay up, then HP disables your printer over the Internet.

I've got a Samsung black and white laser printer made in 2004, and it's still going strong. It's been vastly cheaper to own and keep running than an ink jet printer would have been.

Agreed, we have a Brother laser that's every bit as old, and it's still going strong. We do have an HP color laser that is a really good printer, but the B&W one works great.

Years ago I had an HP DeskJet550C that was a really good inkjet. What made it good was that the cartridges included the printhead. So every time you changed the cartridges, it was effectively like new again. It wasn't the best photo printer, but was good for vibrant reports etc. The wife of the day liked her printed photos, so we got a Canon thing. It printed great, but if you didn't use it for a month or so, the ink would dry up in the head and you've then got to dick about cleaning it, and if that didn't work you were up shit creek. By then of course I'd got rid of the 550C. If the same thing happened on the 550C, you just put a new cartridge in, and you're off to the races.

For infrequent printers, lasers are the way to go, whether B&W or not.

Agreed, we have a Brother laser that's every bit as old, and it's still going strong. We do have an HP color laser that is a really good printer, but the B&W one works great.

Years ago I had an HP DeskJet550C that was a really good inkjet. What made it good was that the cartridges included the printhead. So every time you changed the cartridges, it was effectively like new again. It wasn't the best photo printer, but was good for vibrant reports etc. The wife of the day liked her printed photos, so we got a Canon thing. It printed great, but if you didn't use it for a month or so, the ink would dry up in the head and you've then got to dick about cleaning it, and if that didn't work you were up shit creek. By then of course I'd got rid of the 550C. If the same thing happened on the 550C, you just put a new cartridge in, and you're off to the races.

For infrequent printers, lasers are the way to go, whether B&W or not.
Given how common smart phones and tablets are these days, there's not as much call for printing photos as there used to be. My printing is mostly limited to a few forms, receipts, and cover letters that I have to do each month to be either sent in or filed.

I think that at the time I bought my Samsung laser printer Brother were selling the same thing under their own name. I don't know which of the two actually made it.

I bought it to replace an HP Deskjet 500 B&W ink jet printer when the latter's plastic gears suddenly disintegrated from old age. I used to keep the ink cartridge in a plastic bag to keep the ink from drying out, and only installed it when I wanted to print. That did help a lot with cartridge life, but that was before HP put sensors in which make that sort of thing less convenient. Unless things have changed recently, the PC and printer side of HP were making most of their money out of selling ink jet printer ink.

Latest Threads