Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just replaced my PC - need to learn Win 10

Yokel

LE
I have just replaced my old PC. It was like Trigger's broom, and ran XP, which caused problems. I know have a second hand one from a local company - along with a much larger (and new) screen. It is working - I will set the printer up tomorrow.

How is the easiest way to get to grips with Windows 10, particularly file handing and stuff?

Also, at the risk of appearing to be the sad git I am, does it allow you to see the number of packets you are downloading?

tgo

War Hero
Grab a copy of this

It will make the interface look more trad windows like, the rest you'll figure out when it actually looks like a normal windows

I know fck all about Windows, but Windump will tell you how many packets you are downloading. It is a Windows implementation of tcpdump, which is the standard tool for that kind of information in UNIX/Linux.

Unless you're looking for something specific though, it can be a bit misleading. Not all packets are the same size. There's a vast difference between processing 64-byte packets and 1500 byte packets, or even "Jumbo frame" packets up to 9K.

Windows may well summarize some of this information, like macOS does, but if not, then windump/winpcap will do so.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Grab a copy of this

It will make the interface look more trad windows like, the rest you'll figure out when it actually looks like a normal windows
Something like this was going to be my suggestion, but given a work ThinkPad with Win10 when it first came out years ago, I really can't remember now. I seem to remember a Setting, Use Classic Desktop. But meh.

Yokel

LE
It was just something I did during lockdown - counting the incoming packets and seeing how long it took to get to ten million. It decided to stop just before getting there....

If I can use the internet, produce, download, and save documents, then that will be fine. Mostly with computers I have learnt by doing.

First thing, that massive search box that takes up a third of the toolbar? You can get rid of that by right clicking and choosing an option, I've forgotten which one.

Folder structures are the same as XP and 7 as far as I can tell, the only irritation is getting into the file manager in the first place. It's fairly intuitive or at least the version I use at work is.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I know fck all about Windows, but Windump will tell you how many packets you are downloading. It is a Windows implementation of tcpdump, which is the standard tool for that kind of information in UNIX/Linux.

Unless you're looking for something specific though, it can be a bit misleading. Not all packets are the same size. There's a vast difference between processing 64-byte packets and 1500 byte packets, or even "Jumbo frame" packets up to 9K.

Windows may well summarize some of this information, like macOS does, but if not, then windump/winpcap will do so.
I seem to recall that packet size is something you can configure on your router (look on your local network for 192.168.0.1 or very similar). If you need an admin userid/password combination and it isn't on the bottom of your router, visit your ISP's website where you can probably find the defaults.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
First thing, that massive search box that takes up a third of the toolbar? You can get rid of that by right clicking and choosing an option, I've forgotten which one.

Folder structures are the same as XP and 7 as far as I can tell, the only irritation is getting into the file manager in the first place. It's fairly intuitive or at least the version I use at work is.
Agreed. Add shortcuts to your Taskbar.

endure

GCM
Grab a copy of this

Another vote for Openshell. It will make the transition to W10 much easier.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
It's not difficult if you've used WinXP.
File explorer is Win key +E as it ever was.
You can type in the name of the program you want to start it
Go through all the privacy settings and turn all the spyware off

Drag or "pin" your commonly used programs onto the start menu. You can resize and move the icons around.

Other than that, it's just an operating system and works much like WinXP
Less customisation options for colours which is a bit crap.

tgo

War Hero
For all who recommend adding more software and therefore more complexity. You make hacking so much easier.
This software reduces complexity as it reintroduces a familiar interface to the user, clearly you've never been involved in training. Oh it's on github too if you want to put your tinfoil hat on and check for backdoors...

Seriously dude, give your head a wobble.

endure

GCM
This software reduces complexity as it reintroduces a familiar interface to the user, clearly you've never been involved in training. Oh it's on github too if you want to put your tinfoil hat on and check for backdoors...

Seriously dude, give your head a wobble.
Having said that it might be a good idea for @Yokel to make sure he's got some decent anti virus software installed. Kaspersky do a free version which has quite a good reputation.

You can also shut the spying down with Shutup10

tgo

War Hero
Good call on the Shutup10 I'm not as familiar with win10 as I ought, I'm trying very hard to put off having it until I have no choice.

I'm not a fan of Windows in general, but I have a VM set up which runs Windows 10 on Linux for testing software and I didn't have major problems getting used to it. I just had to google "how do I do 'x' on Windows 10" for a few items, and I was able to get on with things. Since you're just doing some basic things with it you don't have to be as much of an expert on the innards and how they differ from previous versions as someone who has to do IT support for a living.

I would suggest finding a reference book, document, PDF, web site , (whatever) oriented towards people who are making the jump in order to tell you what the new way to do things is. When you get stuck then look it up and make a note or add a marker to the book so you can look it up again when you forget.

If you have a note taking program that lets you cut and paste notes into it, that's a good way to keep notes handy which you can look up when needed. I have one called Zim, but there should be several which run on Windows which someone can recommend.

You can pin the programs you use most often to the task bar at the bottom of the screen. That way you just have to click on one of the pinned icons in order to do what you want 99 per cent of the time.

I would recommend against adding any shells or GUI systems which change how the stock desktop works. Regardless of how well they work, adding one of those means that when you do need to look something up your chances of simply googling the answer are pretty much nil. Stick to the stock desktop and chances are you can stick your question into Google and the right answer will usually be in the top 3 or 4 results.

One thing that you will have to get used to is that Windows 10 will update itself when and how it feels like, and you won't have much say over it. It's just something you will have to get used to.

Note: I've changed my post above to correct an error. I recommend against adding any shells or other programs which modify how the GUI works.

Does this mean you'll be able to post even more crap pictures of women stolen from generic stock photo sites on the Ginger / Brunette threads...?

endure

GCM
Note: I've changed my post above to correct an error. I recommend against adding any shells or other programs which modify how the GUI works.
Openshell will turn the playschool W10 GUI into something more sensible that Yokel will not need to learn to get to grips with as he already knows it.

There's a great deal to be gained and very little to be lost by using it.

Latest Threads