Just passed CISSP

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by msr, Jul 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

and wanted to share it with the world :)

2. Well done you uber geek. :D

Now can you share any pointers with those of us who are contemplating doing it? What provider did you use/books etc?
  3. Sad to say, it is the core of a cash generating machine and the knowledge within it is about as deep as paper.

The exam is hard to pass due to the sheer volume of knowledge and the style of multiple choice question which could provide as many as four correct answers, the knack is identifying the most correct answer.

Best route is to go on the 'authorised course' costing a number of thousands of pounds, then keep your fees up to date and your CPEs, which will in turn cost more money.

For Information Security contractors this is a handy course to do, but it is no longer the only course.

Well done though MSR.
  4. msr

msr LE

I used Stewart, Tittel, Chapple (Sybex): http://bookbrain.co.uk/pricesearch.aspx?isbn=0470276886 and Gregg (Que): http://bookbrain.co.uk/pricesearch.aspx?isbn=0789738066

Plus a bit of assistance from Salford Uni: http://www.business.salford.ac.uk/PG/informationsecuritymanagement

And I want to put on record the miserable scrotes of Firebrand Training in Wyboston, where I took the exam (6hrs long), who laid on drinks and sandwiches then said the sandwiches were only available to those who had attended their course and were not for those who had come for the exam only.

5. Well done MSR.
  6. Its a handy course to do as a base, add to it by taking either CISM or CISA, chuck in an iseb CISMP and most importantly get some time on the ground!

Look to where you want to go with your security career, ie Government based or commercial based.

Government or Defence career you will want to work to getting to the heady height of CLAS (CESG Listed Adviser), then become a contractor (serious bucks!).

Top Professional orgs to join are the IISP, join as an Associate Member then try to obtain Full Membership which is a qual in its own right,

and the BCS, again join as a Professional Member (MBCS) and aim for your Chartered Status (CITP).

Tony - CLAS MBCS CITP M.Inst.ISP
  7. msr

msr LE

CISMP: A minimum of 12 months experience within any IT job. No technical skill or Security background is required.

Course Fee = £1765 (excl.VAT)

No thanks ;)
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Why? So you can have a CV of alphabettispagetthi?
  9. msr

msr LE

Finally application endorsed :)

Congratulations! It gives me great pleasure to be the first to address you with the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP®) designation!

Based upon your examination results, a review of your application and acceptance of your endorsement, the (ISC)2 Board of Directors awarded you with the CISSP designation.

10. Well done MSR.

I have just looked up CISSP on wiki and after reading it, I have no fooking idea what anyone is dribbling on about.
  11. Well done msr
  12. oh well i thought i was doing ok self teaching myself the CCNA offshoots of voice,wireless and security. passing the exams all in a summer, guess i'm still a divvy. Although i did upgrade all the fibre systems in salford uni so in a way i aided you!!! (the pbx system downstairs from the main foyer is a crock of shit by the way)
  13. Feck me, that's why you have to keep advertising for a bird to take to the Mess party :wink:
  14. That PBX wasn't the Thorn Erricsson one was it. If it was i put that in and it was state of the art in 1988 i will have you know.
  15. msr

msr LE

Just waiting for my CISM to be approved. CEHv7 here we come!