ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Just passed AOSB

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by UXO, Mar 16, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. UXO

UXO Swinger

Hi All,

Been lurking for a while but since I passed AOSB on Friday 10th and got my letter Sat 11th (once the postie had stopped chatting up some Mum outside my house for 10 mins) I thought I'd better sign up. Time to jack this crap job in and start getting shouted at. I'm a Maths grad and ex-Sports coach and in a crap office job (or have been for the last year).

If anyone has an AOSB questions it's still pretty fresh in my head... Briefing was only 31st Jan so that's fresh too.

Have got June AAC flying grading, July PCCBC and then some travelling booked, then off to Sandhurst September 10th. Got some visits to AAC, Int and Signals booked but would like to look at some other arms, apparently Artillery is a great day out...where else is good to visit? I live up North near Leeds.

UXO

• Like Like x 7
  2. Hi UXO,
    How long has your application taken from start to finish? And would you happen to have any advice for someone who gets nervous when in an interview situation? (So mental maths goes straight out the window as my brain becomes a whole load of very unhelpful white noise)
    All the best in your grading and hope you have a great time travelling!

3. Well done on the pass mate, was this for September intake? What did you make of the MAP tests and how did the plan ex go down for you?

4. UXO

UXO Swinger

MAP tests were alright. General knowledge the toughest by far.

Plan Ex was alright. I sent someone who PM'd me an outline step by step guide I used. Basically draw a good simple map, read it carefully, take different colour pens, use the space to write down your thoughts which affect your options, and make sure you write at least 3 credible courses of action, and then write your plan out. Make sure you get A solution!

5. UXO

UXO Swinger

I filled in the online form in early October. My AFCO interviewer was very helpful and expedited the interview process. Medical has a delay for me because of an old fracture but filled in what they wanted same night and returned it. Medical ended up being booked for after Christmas but took a 5 day notice cancellation and moved it to Westbury, but had to drive there and back (because Capita wouldn't/couldn't book train tickets at that short notice). Then I had briefing 30/31 January and then main board 5 weeks later.

I'm good under interview pressure or plan exercise grilling. For interviews you should really know yourself and give natural answers. Say what you think and feel not what you think someone wants to hear. For a grilling you just need to abstract yourself from the situation. If you get thrown a deliberate curveball do what it says in a Sandhurst documentary 'we're looking for them to mentally take a step back, assess and continue.' If you can't think of the definite correct answer deflect it or think of a partial one and a way you'd go about finding it out or whatever. Don't keep guessing though, best to say you don't know...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Congratulations!

Look at any job you think you'll find interesting. Don't just go on a visit because it seems like it might be fun. When you do go, try to identify the difference between the sale pitch ('you'll get to shoot big guns and be a para') and the reality ('you may end up commanding a radar troop') The army website has its limits in terms of selling the jobs - for int corps especially, the reality can be a lot more interesting than the jobs website makes out.

Have a look at Royal Engineers as well. After a few years you can join their professional engineer stream which may suit a maths grad.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Well done on passing and good luck with your future career !

8. Congrats I'm booked onto the same intake see you there!

9. Any chance I could grab the step by step guide? Would appreciate it massively

10. MoleBath

MoleBath LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. Millitary Masons

Good luck. As for the Gunners there are two groups of people on a battlefield; Gunners and targets.
    Arrive at RMAS a bit ahead of posted time and familiarise yourself with the geography if possible. Ist step of being the guy with knowledge others ask. Read up layout of place and garner a few historical facts.
    You are entering a noble career that many are too effete to aspire to

11. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

...including many Army officers. Boom tish.

Mostly pointing out that your OP masculine is quite possibly an OP feminine. Note the arms choices. Before everyone starts suggesting infantry regiments.

• Like Like x 1
  12. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Have a look at RE; very broad early command responsibility, a number of professional career options, plus the usual "funnies" (para, cdo, EOD, diver etc). Oh and it's a good day out - if that helps.

13. I assume the lifting of restrictions of women serving in infantry apply to both officers and soldiers?

14. uxo.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer