Just off the wire: Credible Report of Assad Using Chemical Weapons Against Own People

As with everything else connected with Syria, the question is really "What will the Russian response be?"
As long as they stand behind Assad nothing of a military nature is going to happen involving any other country.

Yep! WMD in 45 minutes.

Again? Hundred's time in the past 6 months?
(in spite of your apparent biases) that there are a number of salient aspects that are different from the usual rebel propaganda that has no factual backup.

(in spite of your apparent biases) that there are a number of salient aspects that are different from the usual rebel propaganda that has no factual backup.
Assad used chemical weapons against own people who support him for over a year now in a war against Qatar, SA, US, UK and France? Brilliant, pure Western logic!

I have little doubt that chemical weapons will be used in Syria. They will be used by West supported rabble in order to provide US/UK with an excuse (in the eyes of the consumers of Western propaganda) to attack Syria.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
used on the kurds in the past so they wont hesitate if they think they can get away with it.

I fail to see anything in that report that could be assessed to be credible.

Assad used chemical weapons against own people who support him for over a year now in a war against Qatar, SA, US, UK and France? Brilliant, pure Western logic!

I have little doubt that chemical weapons will be used in Syria. They will be used by West supported rabble in order to provide US/UK with an excuse (in the eyes of the consumers of Western propaganda) to attack Syria.
Quite breathtaking.

Eh which intervention is this? Who and why are these interveners? While its obvious that regime change is needed in Syria (the fewer autocratic ********* there are running countries the better), there is no western desire for intervetion in this case. Of course if you happen to live in a country run by an autocratic ******** then the finer points of deomocratic opinion probably pass you by.

Which part?

The one where the West lies about some atrocity in order to provide an excuse for intervention; or the one where the West heirs some rabble to commit an atrocity in order to provide an excuse for intervention?
All of the above. Your post makes me feel much better about myself however, Thanks.

I'm sorry but I am confused now.

In Egypt the "rebels" were the good guys despite being backed by the Islamic Brotherhood, in Mali the Islamic Rebels are the bad guys and in Syria the government are the bad guys despite fighting against an Islamic uprising.

No wonder I don't do politics, much to hard for me.

Eh which intervention is this? Who and why are these interveners? While its obvious that regime change is needed in Syria (the fewer autocratic ********* there are running countries the better), there is no western desire for intervetion in this case. Of course if you happen to live in a country run by an autocratic ******** then the finer points of deomocratic opinion probably pass you by.
I seem to recall that there was no democratic desire for intervention in Iraq - if the nation's largest ever protest marches were anything to go by.

I also can't see anything different in the way we are governed to prevent a repeat in the Syrian case.

The more I hear about the rebels the more I wonder if Assad is really the bad guy here, he's clearly an ********, no doubt about that, but are these rebels are really a better alternative? Are they not of the same ilk as those France is currently rucking with in Mali? It's not a subject I have a vast knowledge of so I'm sure some ARRSERS can guide me here.

Exclusive: Secret State Department cable: Chemical weapons used in Syria | The Cable

If true, I will watch with interest what the US does in view of its threats warning Assad against such a course of action. "Paper tiger" comes to mind.
Put the tinfoil away…

Syria: US denies Assad regime has used chemical weapons

Chemical weapons
As mentioned earlier, Foreign Policy magazine has claimed that a secret state department cable says the Syrian military probably used chemical weapons against its own people in a deadly attack last month.

As Reuters reports, the US has denied the substance of this. Tommy Vietor, the White House National Security Council spokesman, said in a statement:

The reporting we have seen from media sources regarding alleged chemical weapons incidents in Syria has not been consistent with what we believe to be true about the Syrian chemical weapons programme. If the Assad regime makes the tragic mistake of using chemical weapons, or fails to meet its obligation to secure them, the regime will be held accountable.