Just in case you wondered about these "Tibetan monks"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Mar 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

[​IMG]

London, March 20 - Britain's GCHQ, the government communications agency that electronically monitors half the world from space, has confirmed the claim by the Dalai Lama that agents of the Chinese People's Liberation Army, the PLA, posing as monks, triggered the riots that have left hundreds of Tibetans dead or injured.

http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/chinese-orchestrating-riots-tibet.htm

2. Not surprising really, the Chinese government already hire local Tibetans as 'professional' monks to wear robes at monasteries and religious sites for the tourists for 9-5 before going home for the night. Dressing up some troops or security officers as monks to act as agent provocateurs doesn't stretch the bounds to credibility.

3. Yellow peril. Be afraid.

4. Could that picture be photoshopped to look like they have monks kit in their hands ?

5. Also if these pictures are taken from space, how can the angle be right? You'd need to have a much lower elevation to get that shot, take into account buildings getting in the way etc.

6. Absolutely it looks fake to me. All the shadows and the transgresion of colour looks wrong to me but hey, what do I know!

Jimima

7. here we go lets make the monks kit different colours.... That was done quickly soon with more time it could look as convincing as the original.

Attached Files:

8. Bad boy you missed a few, or else it'll be true!

9. Doesn't look faked to me (spend half my life in photoshop), pixellation on the robes fits in well with that throughout the rest of the image. Could be faked, but it looks genuine to me.

Not sure about the images being taken by satellite, but as far as I know they don't always look directly down...

If this is a satellite image or something taken covertly by someone on the ground has yet to be seen (nothing seen on BBC/AP/Reuters just yet).

10. The perspectives between the group of soldiers and the bystanders behind are completely wrong.

If you're going to try your hand at disinformation at least get that right(mind you, it seems to have fooled some).

11. [cynicism]Whether the PLA dressed some of their chaps up in fancy dress as agents provocateur is irrelevent; the murderous tw@ts shot people for protesting with vicious and deadly placards and slogans. While it is obvious that death and unpleasantness was going to follow any form of public protest in the glorious workers paradise, that doesn't justify mass killing.

If they had been good little communists and employed commonsense and restricted themselves to arresting, torture and transportation to labour camps, noone powerful in the west would have given a fcuk. Murdering people and more importantly having it splashed over the front page upsets the great unwashed, or at least the media types who claim to represent them.

Politicians, at least the spineless ones, then dance to their tune, despite having blithely ignored the plight of Tibet, and Zim, and pretty much any hard luck story that isn't in the headlines.[/cynicism] Now, where did I leave my tinfoil hat? :roll:

12. If you were going to fake an image like that, putting people needlessly into the background would be counter productive...

I guess tinfoil hats will be the dress of the day on this thread as everyone pooh, poohs any notion of an image not being fake!

Do doubt the GCHQ angle, but who knows.

13. Time to look for a new job? Even zooming in on paintshop shows a number of flaws.

And it's all about fingers, feet, and colour.

Jimima

14. If you were going to try a ploy like that, would you parade your guys outdoors in their No.2s and carrying large bundles marked 'incriminating evidence' in large, friendly letters? It's not in PRCs interest to attract any attention to Tibet, especially not now, so what's the motive? If they want to smash any Tibetan conspiracy they can just go ahead and do it, they've never needed to concoct a cover story before.

Buddhism is no different from any of the other religions - some people twist it for temporal power. Tibetan nationalism attracts it's share of loonies, too. Add in rising food prices, restricted fuel supply and resentment against 'those bloody immigrants' and you get the conditions for a riot, no provocation needed.

15. Doubt it's time to look for a new job somehow. Although you are obviously an expert.

Unlike some people, if I'm wrong I'll put my hands up and admit it!