Just how tough are Warriors?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Speedy, Mar 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that below is the citation for Johnson Beharry's VC, but after reading it it strikes me that Warrior AFV's are very, very tough and survivable vehicles indeed!! The fact that his Warrior sustained multiple RPG hits and was still operational to the extent that he could drive it, on fire, for several miles whilst still taking hits is quite remarkable. I'd like to see a picture of it afterwards!!

2. I believe the design brief required them to be able to survive an (inevitable) hit from an Abrams. :wink:
  3. Ours took over 25 hits from RPGs in Iraq. Not much of the top stowage left, and we had both rear deflection covers torn off, but otherwise all was fine.

Thank god for DL13! :D
  4. Considering Abrams are getting taken out with just a single RPG round I would be prepared to comment that their armour is a little 'crap'.
  5. The Warrior is tough, almost as tough as Pvt. Beharry V.C.
  6. I remember a Mate of mine was in a warrior during Granby, they took a direct hit from a 120mm HESH (Blue on Blue) and survived.
  7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Well, I have heard of 1 x Abrams that was taken out by an RPG - but that was by a 'golden shot' which was frankly a freak one. Apart from that, they are pretty much invulnerable. Not so Ch2, which are not pretty much invulnerable, but TOTALLY invulnerable - so far, anyway :D

We only lost one, and that was blue-on-blue, exclusively involving Brits - no US in sight :!:

To be fair the the Septics, they have far more tanks out there, and for example their initial hell-drive through Baghdad did involve them in a fair amount of incoming 8O

Wariors are, though, proving their worth, in spades. Bloody good job the PWRR didn't go to Al-Amarah in Saxons - we would still be picking up the bits now.....
  8. saw a warrior after it had been hit by an rpg round crew were disapointed
    as there was nothing to show for the photo they wanted to take . Scimitar commander observing this mentioned something about getting another job:).
  9. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Seem to remember seeing quite a few knocked out Abrams on HETs coming back down route TAMPA in May/June 03, all of which seemed to have been taken out by RPG being fired into the rear 1/4 arc. Not sure that their add on side armour is as good as CR2
  10. Not witnessed Abrams vulnerability with my own eyes but from the various news reports over the last 2 years it looks like the final drives are more than a little vulnerable.

Looks like a mobility kill wouldn't be to difficult to achieve with an RPG especially from the sort of ranges that would be common in an urban environment.

11. Abrams have a weakness to ZSU 23-4! IIRC some 23mm went into rear of turret causing explosion of 120mm rounds 8O All the crew survived though :)
  12. I agree: I saw several - along with a huge mass of Bradleys - being backloaded down Tampa later in the year with all kinds of bits dangling off them.
  13. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Never forget the ability of a complicated vehicle to go wrong :?

Abrams are immensely complex beasts, with a gas turbine engine. If they are anything like our Ch2, then they will have some strange system for repair that involves Contractors-only being allowed to poke about in large parts of them. Those on Tampa may well have been either going for repair, being 'rouled', or being withdrawn. Also, I'm sure the Septics aren't any more averse than we are to a bit of 'StoreRob' action to keep things in action :)
  14. I have saw quite a few knock out Abrams on their way back to kuwait in 2004 as well and they are in very bad sharp. But knock out Warrior is almost unheard off. Although I recall one M-kill on warrior reported at that time. I also remember a news footage (I think is from BBC) that a warrior that drove on a mine in Bosnia and suffer no more that a lost track.
  15. On armour.

I belive (If what my tanker freinds has told me is true) there are two types of chobham armour. the home version, and the Export version. Obviously the Export version is worse.

Hence why the yanks added a layer of DU to the armour to try and make it better.