Just how good is swimming for you?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 5.56mm, Oct 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I was younger I used to swim all the time, but can't really remember the effects it had on me. So i was just wondering how good is swimming for you, as good or better than running?
  2. It's a better option than drowning!!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. It's low impact cardio, it's good for your fitness, but it's not the same as running.

It does exercise muscles that running doesn't though.
  4. I would say NOT very good if you're planning to use Michael Barrymore's pool.
  5. No running allowed... or heavy petting :roll:

Attached Files:

6. good for losing weight and good for expanding chest capacity, but won't improve cardio-vascular fitness as quickly as running.
  7. It's very good.. I used to do it at first, and I was really knackered after so I assumed it must have done heaps for my cardiovascual/ respiratory fitness, other than that.. good workout and a good warmdown
  8. Its good.. if you can swim well. I do a mile of breast stroke once in a while just to burn off some fat and get some upper body work going. Front crawl is really good for cardio and lung capacity but its hard to do!

Just run..

9. Regular swimming builds endurance, muscle strength and cardio-vascular fitness. It can serve as a cross-training element to your regular workouts. Before a land workout, you can use the pool for a warm-up session. Swimming with increasing effort to gradually increase your heart rate and stimulate your muscle activity is easily accomplished in the water. After a land workout, swimming a few laps can help you cool-down, move blood through your muscles to help them recover, and help you relax as you glide through the water.

Swimming can burn calories at a rate of about 3 calories a mile per pound of bodyweight. If you weigh say 150 lbs. and it takes you 30 minutes to swim one mile (1,760 yards or 1,600 meters), then you will be using about 900 calories in one hour. However, many swimmers do not swim that quickly, and many cannot swim for that distance or duration.

mmmmmmmmmmmill get my coat.......
  10. Swimming may be good for you but why place yourself in harms way. I think it was George Bernard Shaw who remarked upon being asked if he would like water with his whisky....Do you have any idea what fish do in water!

I know some humans who do it in water too.
  11. swimming is excellent for you but just sooo boring, in my opinion running wins hands down but then again some find running boring!
  12. Does running have the same CV benefits as running?
  13. Hmmm, running vs running - hard to say really!!!

If your question was meant to be does swimming have the same benefits as running, someone has already answered that, with an 'its good, but not as good as running'!
  14. ^^^

15. :D Whats yellow and dangerous Shark infested custard. Swim in this you be fit in 10 seconds :D