Just How do they do it?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jack-daniels, Jun 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd like to think I'm pretty secure when it comes to my money and looking after it but yesterday has made me think, had a phone call to meet up for a beer in the afternoon so went to the bank first to get some cash to find that I'd been scammed for £1300!! I don't use my card on dodgy websites, only get my petrol from Tesco and make sure that its always with me and shield it when entering the PIN number. FFS, £1300, the twaats, the bank were great about it though and are investigating but I won't get it back for 2 weeks. Oh, and I apologise to the bank for pinching the pen they lent me!!

Be careful with your cards out there people.

P.S Anyone lend me a tenner?
  2. You can't always avoid it - there are plenty of scams whereby the chip & pin machines at petrol stations are tampered with so that criminals get your card details through them. It's not fun and it's practically impossible to avoid.
  3. There are plenty of ways to get details - false skimmers at supermarket checkouts, ATMs. When the Chip 'n Pin system first came out, I had a cashier at a Shell garage ask me for my PIN, so he could enter it on the system.....

You could tell it's becoming a much more common crime, when the Police have stopped investigating it and passed the responsibility on to the banks! They know when they are fighting a losing battle.
  4. Not so long ago I visited a petrol station situated next to the A1 at Peterborough.
    It was 0550 and I spent £12 on petrol (it's a bike before you start) using a debit card.
    I checked my bank statement after the trip and noticed a £20 purchase made at 0610 at the same garage.
    When I queried the transaction I was given a repayment, plus £10 for my trouble, by the garage.
    The explanation was that I had made an internet purchase "cardholder not present".
    The amount involved wasn't great but if successful a few times a day a nice little bonus for someone.
    Just seems too easy, no PIN, no signature, just press a button.
  5. The interesting thing about chip and pin, is the real reason that the banks introduced it.

In the old days, when you were a victim of fraud, it was the banks responsiblity to prove that you had been negligent and so they nearly always had to refund your money.

Nowadays, the banks say that chip and pin is invulnerable to fraud, unless you have been careless with your pin. The banks now say that it is your responsiblity to prove that you have not been negligent with your pin.

See the subtle difference? We all know (and indeed knew when it was introduced) that it would not make a jot of difference to card fraud....the banks just didn't want to keep paying for it all.

Not saying that this will happen in your case, much fraud still takes place over the internet etc, so the pin thing doesn't apply.

You should also be very careful of shops that press enter for you when the price shows on the pin pad. The majority of pads show the price as you enter your pin, but some require you to press enter to accept the price and then enter your pin. Some businesses will press enter and hand you a pad that just says enter pin. If you do enter your pin, you are liable for whatever they have punched in. Bit of a bugger if they "accidentally" added an extra 9 to 9.99 and made it 99.99 eh?

Simply refuse to enter your pin and tell em to put it through again....if they refuse then you really should be very suspicious. Checking your reciept after the event doesn't really do it...you are still deemed to have entered your pin and accepted. If the shop does refund the money, you will still be waiting a couple of days to get it back on your account.

Chip and Pin the scammers delight!
  6. Chip and pin was as much about the banks avoiding responsibility as about security. Now that they no longer have to produce a counterfoil with your signature if you ask for verification, they can automatically blame the customer for any fraud. Their systems are obviously completely secure, so it must have been the customers fault.

No wonder so many people want to screw them back over bank charges.
  7. I try to reduce my reliance on Chip and Pin, where possible , pay cash.

I draw out what I think I will need for the next few days and live off that.
  8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

A couple of weeks ago one of my credit card issuers rang me to let me know that someone apparently tried to use my card in Turkey, whilst at the same time attempting to take money from ATMs in London. Going through my transactions, we discovered further small fraudulent purchases. The card issuer were helpful and friendly.

I also suddenly found myself over my overdraft limit at the bank - I haven't used the overdraft for about 5 years. I have identified several transactions that I have no knowledge of (on the mainland whilst I was in NI), but HSBC don't want to know. They have been unbelievably difficult, to the extent that I have now opened a new account elsewhere.
  9. I did the same thing at Somerfield. Checked my account and had another transaction straight after the legit one.

Also, I was buying something from the net the other day, made a complete clusterfcuk of it and put the wrong billing address in. The order still went through alright though.
  10. VB, it's interesting that you've had problems with HSBC - I've had fraud happen to me a few times, but they've always been exceedingly helpful, and on two occasions, THEY rang ME to ask about transactions, which was a definite bonus.

Having worked for a major bank, I really don't think that the new system is a way for the banks to avoid responsibility, they've never avoided paying out for myself or anybody else I know.
  11. It only takes a second to swipe a card through a magnetic stripe reader. Then, with the way the keypads are designed/placed, it is easy enough to watch someone entering their pin.
  12. So no ones going to lend me a tenner then?! The fcukers spent £680 here!!:

So I'll be on the lookout for some twat wearing a baggy baseball shirt and a baseball cap back to front, wonder where my best bet will be to find them?!
  13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, OK. But I only got a £50 note. Tell you what? You nip into the shop and buy someting with it? I'll wait round the corner and you can bring me my 40 change.

The sodding banks should have gone biometric from the off. Swipe your fingerprint and you dont even need the card.
  14. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Have you asked PTE Golden late of 2 para? :wink:
  15. I got a call from the bank that issued one of my cards to say they were cancelling my card and issuing a new one. They had spotted an attempt to make a test withdrawl on my account and had cancelled the cardto stop any more attempts. Apparently some of the scammers who generate their own card numbers send out hundreds of test withdrawls and when they find a live number hit it hard. I was quite pleased the bank was actually looking out for this and not waiting to see if I notice my account had been cleaned out before doing something.