Just how dangerous is SA .. interesting read

I'm not too sure if this article is trying to ease the minds of worried tourists heading there for the World Cup, or a reality check, with advice as to how to stay safe.

I thought I'd share anyway.

BBC Article

Best bits of advice :

- Keep your car locked while driving
- Don't stop for strangers or people who have broken down
- A blue light does not necessarily mean they are police
- If carjacked, do not offer resistance
- Carjacking is geographically skewed with half of the 15,000 happening in Gauteng

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Hooray for black majority rule!

from the comments section

I, for one acknowledge that SA has a huge crime problem. But it's quite amazing how crime becomes a big issue when we are hosting the Soccer World Cup - a sport generally regarded to be a "black sport" in SA. But there wasn't any such negativity and talks when we hosted both the Rugby and Cricket World Cups - ironically sports associated with "whites" in SA. I wonder why that is? I admit that Rugby and Cricket World Cups are not as big as the soccer showpiece... But they do attract tourists nonetheless.
Sabonga, Johannesburg
it's becuz i iz black innit

:roll:

baboon6 said:
I live in Joburg and I thought it was a pretty well-balanced article.
Where abouts in jhb?

I also thought it was a good article, the thing is, like they said, violence Isn't evenly spread.

You will find more muggings in a medium-low income area like where I am than in somewhere like bedfordview, but also less extreme crimes like hijackings.

And a very important thing to note, DON'T ACT LIKE A FUCKING TOURIST!!

I wear a hoodie, beanie, torn jeans and sneakers, I get trouble about once/twice a year, mainly I'm left alone and sometimes I get mistaken for a crim.. but people who grew up with me get jumped every month or more, because they flash money, wearing timbaland, wearin headfones etc.

Common sense helps, and not walking around in a dwaal :D

Schaden

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
I have a house in Cape Town and when I'm on hols I'm tooled up to a level that would make a Texan envious.

A comment on the piece:

We visited South Africa earlier this year and everyone (and I mean everyone)
we spoke to about the possibility of violence during the World Cup said they were really
worried about the football hooligans coming from England.
Helen Robinson, Henley-on-Thames
makes me think that there could be better sport off the park when the Millwall lads go a visiting....

Methinks the TSOTSI will be rubbing their hands in glee anticipating all the rich pickings about to fall in their hands!
Wasn't the whole British Lions rugby team robbed at gunpoint by an armed gang in a posh hotel just outside Cape Town a few years ago during a tour? Apparently deliberately kept out of the media to protect the reputation of the "Rainbow" nation! I for one would not care to visit SA until it has sorted itself out! Hmm not for the foreseeable future then!! :x

futurebootie said:
baboon6 said:
Where abouts in jhb?
Fourways. Have spent a bit of time in Bedfordview lately, my girlfriend lives there. Nice area.

I was on a walking tour in the city centre today, specifically to look at art deco buildings. Was in a group of about 30 people (mostly white South Africans, a few local blacks and a few foreigners), didn't feel threatened at all. I certainly wouldn't wander around there at night though.

baboon6 said:
futurebootie said:
baboon6 said:
Where abouts in jhb?
Fourways. Have spent a bit of time in Bedfordview lately, my girlfriend lives there. Nice area.

I was on a walking tour in the city centre today, specifically to look at art deco buildings. Was in a group of about 30 people (mostly white South Africans, a few local blacks and a few foreigners), didn't feel threatened at all. I certainly wouldn't wander around there at night though.
I'm about 8 km west of Bedfordview, sad really, all the hot cherries live there :D , as soon as they find out where I'm from/how much cash I don't have etc.. they disappear.
All I have in my area is pikkies, goffels and they random backpacker wanting to discover Africa, they last about a day and a half.

I studied and worked in Bedfordview for about 4 years ... and it wasn't too bad. Used to spend a lot of time at Eastgate, shopping and all that!

If you want to visit a sh1thole, go to Alberton .. that's where I used to live and it is a stone's throw away from Thokoza ... nice! Had my car broken into on baout 4 occasions and almost stolen once, mom's car was broken into once and my dad had about 3 cars stolen in the 15 years we lived there. Oh the joy and memories ....

As a kid I remember the Carlton Hotel as THE 5 star hotel in Joey's and Sandton was the [p]reserve of the front wheelers.
Last time back, The Carlton Centre was the domain of the prawns and the rich non-reflectives were being driven to Sandton by their white BGs in their X5s.
Unfortunately Zuma has yet to reign in Cde Bob Pambere ne Jongwe nor his vocal acolyte Malema.
Interesting to see that FIFA is already having to step in before the K factor becomes fully apparent.

Soldier_Girl said:
I studied and worked in Bedfordview for about 4 years ... and it wasn't too bad. Used to spend a lot of time at Eastgate, shopping and all that!

If you want to visit a sh1thole, go to Alberton .. that's where I used to live and it is a stone's throw away from Thokoza ... nice! Had my car broken into on baout 4 occasions and almost stolen once, mom's car was broken into once and my dad had about 3 cars stolen in the 15 years we lived there. Oh the joy and memories ....
Oi! I like Alberton :D, now rosettenville, where my ma n pa grew up.. has become a CRAPHOLE.

ex_colonial said:
Methinks the TSOTSI will be rubbing their hands in glee anticipating all the rich pickings about to fall in their hands!
Wasn't the whole British Lions rugby team robbed at gunpoint by an armed gang in a posh hotel just outside Cape Town a few years ago during a tour? Apparently deliberately kept out of the media to protect the reputation of the "Rainbow" nation! I for one would not care to visit SA until it has sorted itself out! Hmm not for the foreseeable future then!! :x
In my opinion, you'd be right. The tsotsi are very excited about the glittering goodies that will be on offer when the tourists arrive. And, it all starts at the airport, as soon as you land, when your luggage is swiftly carted away; to help you to your awaiting transport. Saying NO is not really an option!!!
I've not been back for 6 years due to the fact that I don't believe the rainbow nation has a hope in hell of sorting itself out. And, I'm trying to "educate" my fellow UK dwellers about what to do, and what not to do, when they go over for the world cup. I wait in anticipation of what they report back.

futurebootie said:
Soldier_Girl said:

Oi! I like Alberton :D, now rosettenville, where my ma n pa grew up.. has become a CRAPHOLE.
You like Alberton??? What! You are a freak!

Rosettenville ... that brings back memories! It is home to the best Italian restaurant, Gino's (or was it Giuseppe's 8O ). Had many a great night there.
Not to mention the best Portuguese restaurant, Calisto's .... stunning place.

I lived in SA for two years in the 90's, and I guess I can say I am one of the few who didn't see any action...i.e. nothing happened to me 8) Mind you I did drive around in an intentionally dirty banged up Fiat, dressed like a hippy, and always put a brick in my 'woodstock' bag. I guess they thought this woman is poorer than us! :lol:

I know plenty of others who were victims of violence including my sister who during a home invasion was bashed and my bro in law who in the same event ended up with two bullets inside him. Thankfully they survived and are back in Wales now :D

I can only reiterate what others have said in the thread, namely, don't make yourself a target. Lose the designer clothes, don't wear the crown jewels, and don't hire a top end car....and then enjoy, because it is a very beautiful country.

As an afterthought, I was far more frazzled driving through South Central L.A after taking a wrong turn out of LAX than I ever was in Jo'burg or elsewhere in SA. That was scary :omg:

zazabell_012 said:
I lived in SA for two years in the 90's, and I guess I can say I am one of the few who didn't see any action...i.e. nothing happened to me 8) Mind you I did drive around in an intentionally dirty banged up Fiat, dressed like a hippy, and always put a brick in my 'woodstock' bag. I guess they thought this woman is poorer than us! :lol:

I know plenty of others who were victims of violence including my sister who during a home invasion was bashed and my bro in law who in the same event ended up with two bullets inside him. Thankfully they survived and are back in Wales now :D

I can only reiterate what others have said in the thread, namely, don't make yourself a target. Lose the designer clothes, don't wear the crown jewels, and don't hire a top end car....and then enjoy, because it is a very beautiful country.

As an afterthought, I was far more frazzled driving through South Central L.A after taking a wrong turn out of LAX than I ever was in Jo'burg or elsewhere in SA. That was scary :omg:
Take a drive through hillbrow at night then tell me that :D

Soldier_Girl said:
futurebootie said:
Soldier_Girl said:

You like Alberton??? What! You are a freak!

Rosettenville ... that brings back memories! It is home to the best Italian restaurant, Gino's (or was it Giuseppe's 8O ). Had many a great night there.
Not to mention the best Portuguese restaurant, Calisto's .... stunning place.
Alberton isn't too bad, its more or less the same where I am, personally I can't stand larney areas.

In 83/94 Hillbrow was a nice, happening place, somewhat like Soho in London.

I stayed at the Carlton quite a few times, but THE hotel then was the Landrost. Then sol K opened the Sandton Sun and I think that was when the move to the suburbs really started.

I've lived in Cape Town for 8 years and I think it's a well balanced article. We've been burgled twice in the past year (first was nasty, second happened while wife was out and I was away), but I don't think that if you choose your area carefully that the crime is that bad - We lived in a virtually crime free area (apart from some of sokkie music they'd sometimes play in the pub), but this changed when an 'informal settlement' (squatter camp) set up shop in the area, and the number of burglaries went up.

As far as Cape Town CBD, the Waterfront, and Greenpoint stadium go, I think there will be a very big police presence - bigger than there is already. I have never felt really threatened there, but I make damn sure I keep my wits about me and avoid the dark alleys at night. Area to avoid in town is near the train station.

I agree that a lot of the low level crims will enjoy the opportunity to make a bit more money in CT, but I'd imagine it will mostly be low level stuff like muggings and pickpocketing. Carjacking does happen in CT but it's nowhere near the levels of Jo'burg

I would like to see some english hooligans get the sh1t kicked out of them though.