Just have a few questions....

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by ruledbyjames, Apr 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all!

I just have a few questions about joining up. Basically, I'm from the Republic of Ireland, just about to wrap up university here. I'm heading over to London to either work or pursue a Masters degree in September. I recently attempted AOSB Main Board and failed. After a day of feeling sorry for myself, I decided to do everything in my power to crack on and get it next time. I don't plan on using (for want of a better term) the TA as merely a C.V. filler for my next attempt. I would be looking to deploy on operations if selection and training all go well.

One of the suggestions that was forwarded to me was to join the TA. For over a month I've been looking at the various Corps and Regiments available in Greater London. I have attempted to ring and get in contact but there has been little joy. Generally, how long does it take from the initial introduction to selection weekend if one has been already vetted by security (via the Officer application)? If successful, how long does it take until commencing training?

Also (attempting not to troll) I am keen to deploy on operations. I have in particular looked at 7 Rifles, The London Regiment, W Squadron- Royal Yeomanry and 131 Independent Commando Squadron. Having talked to 7 Rifles, who seem to be getting ready to deploy, how operational are the other Regiments? Seeing from W Squadron's website for example, it seems that they only deploy small number relatively infrequently. Again, I'm not trying to belittle them in any way, I'm just trying to gauge which Regiment would allow me a reasonable opportunity to go overseas.

Apologies about the length of the post! Any helpful information is greatly appreciated.

*Awaits incoming about Jedward, gypos and the price of pints in Dublin*

2. What's your degree in? Anything useful?

3. Not unless you count pub quizzes! My degree is in History and Politics.

4. Infantry or Artillery, then. ;)

5. If you are able to carry the security piece across then you should be on a selection weekend within a couple of months of first turning up and complete phase 1 training in just under a year. All you need before selection is a medical and the computerised intelligence test.

In my experience the best way of getting information about units is to just turn up as phone calls do not seem to get much of a reply.

Finally if you want to go on operations then infantry seems to be the order of the day as it would appear you can get out on tour in 18 to 24 months from first turning up via that route. I know W Squadron have some operational work soon but you would not be able to qualify in time.

6. Thanks for the replies gentlemen!

The only problem is that I live in Ireland and at the moment traveling over to London isn't on the cards until mid-May. I wanted to touch base with any prospective Regiment prior to going over.

Will I still have to do the medical if I have done one at Westbury? I'm seriously considering the London Regiment and 100 Regt RA. Would anyone happen to have had any dealings with either? Does anyone happen to have the contact number for the latter (not being lazy, I honestly can't seem to find it online).

Cheers again!

7. Not sure W Sqn is very different from most other units. We have a major mobilisation commitment every 2 years (kicking in at the end of this year) and also send people keen to mobilise on ops between those times.

I think pretty much any unit at the moment will offer you 'reasonable opportunity' to deploy. Depends what you want to do when you get there.

8. Apologies for dredging up an old topic but does anyone know if the security clearance from the Regular Officer Recruiting can be carried over to the TA? I've emailed various units and tried ringing but I haven't received any concrete details.

Thanks again!