Just got my 3rd!

#1
I have reently been promoted to Sgt and I know I will have to grow up a but but what other stuff can I expect. I dont really know what goes on at the mess do's as I have refused to wait on when I was a young soldier.

What can I expect good and bad?

Cheers
 
#2
expect to be spit roasted by two burly men with huge moustaches.

expect to have your testicles covered in a) boot polish or b) toothpaste (your preference)

expect to be stiched up by practical jokers at every mess function

you know that three hundred quid mess kit you've got to get? expect to have a sleeve torn off during a game of mess rugby.

hope this helps.
 
#3
Best advise... find your self a copy of your regimental mess rules ... read it and then forget it... just enjoy your self, you have made your way into one of the worlds most exclusive drinking clubs.

Keep your eyes open, all the old sweats will be trying to catch you out, port fines are a real pain, but if handeled correctly by your BSM/CSM/RSM they can be a good laugh.
 
#4
tiffy_trucks said:
Best advise... find your self a copy of your regimental mess rules ... read it and then forget it... just enjoy your self, you have made your way into one of the worlds most exclusive drinking clubs.

Keep your eyes open, all the old sweats will be trying to catch you out, port fines are a real pain, but if handeled correctly by your BSM/CSM/RSM they can be a good laugh.
Port fines?
I dont mind the stuff, can you please expalin.
 
#5
Various infringements of the rules (these are written in pencil and are often changed without notice) can result in being "fined" payment being a bottle of port to the mess.

Top tip hide your name card from where your sitting.
 
#6
Lairdx said:
b) toothpaste (your preference)

expect to be stiched up by practical jokers at every mess function


hope this helps.
Only if an RADC person is there :D
 
#8
never sit on a chair that someone offers to you. always swap it if you can. likewise your glass has almost certainly been tampered with.

..I'm sure someone wipes there arse on the rim of mine everytime. Hey Ho.
 
#9
Think back to when you got your first stripe. Your friends disowned you and you had to make new friends among the JNCOs. You had to prove yourself to both ORs and JNCOs.

You now have to go through the same procedure but here there is a major difference. Until someone else is promoted from Cpl to Sgt, you will be the junior mess member. While you retain this lowly status, you will be the butt of jokes and pranks. It's nothing personal, just tradition. Take it with grace and humour, just as everyone else in the mess has had to at one time. Take advice where it is offered - it will often come from unexpected directions. Everyone is equal in the Mess, but remember that some are still more equal than others.

The Mess Rule Book contains all of the Mess rules except one. This is the most important one, never to be forgotten, hence the reason why it doesn't need to be written down. Most messes have this rule inscribed somewhere in the Bar. "Whatever is said in the Mess, stays in the Mess." You can break most of the other rules once or twice and get away with it, but this one doesn't offer a second chance.

Congratulations, you're now a member of one of the most select groups in the world, revered by most ranks of most armies. Enjoy it and don't abuse it.
 
#10
putteesinmyhands said:
Think back to when you got your first stripe. Your friends disowned you and you had to make new friends among the JNCOs. You had to prove yourself to both ORs and JNCOs.

You now have to go through the same procedure but here there is a major difference. Until someone else is promoted from Cpl to Sgt, you will be the junior mess member. While you retain this lowly status, you will be the butt of jokes and pranks. It's nothing personal, just tradition. Take it with grace and humour, just as everyone else in the mess has had to at one time. Take advice where it is offered - it will often come from unexpected directions. Everyone is equal in the Mess, but remember that some are still more equal than others.

The Mess Rule Book contains all of the Mess rules except one. This is the most important one, never to be forgotten, hence the reason why it doesn't need to be written down. Most messes have this rule inscribed somewhere in the Bar. "Whatever is said in the Mess, stays in the Mess." You can break most of the other rules once or twice and get away with it, but this one doesn't offer a second chance.

Congratulations, you're now a member of one of the most select groups in the world, revered by most ranks of most armies. Enjoy it and don't abuse it.
Which lot are you with then?
 
#11
Hope you have a large and strong bladder, for when the speaches start you WILL need to go. When your Vice keep the jokes short and funny. Best of luck!
 
#12
scott8629 said:
I have reently been promoted to Sgt and I know I will have to grow up a but but what other stuff can I expect. I dont really know what goes on at the mess do's as I have refused to wait on when I was a young soldier.

What can I expect good and bad?

Cheers

Always good but perhaps you can now see why it is a good thing to wait on ?

If your successors in the JR club are equally stroppy then you will be getting big mess bills for hiring professional waiting staff - what comes around goes around.

Hope you enjoy it - I did
 
#13
scott8629 said:
I dont really know what goes on at the mess do's as I have refused to wait on when I was a young soldier.
will there be double standards when expecting juniors to wait on at functions that youll have to organse?

expect to be Mr Vice, get leathered, enjoy, oh and dont be a prick to mess staff and those juniors who have very kindly volunteered to wait on.
 
#14
It is shit. So much bullsh*t at mess functions. Cant go for a p*ss, port bottle cant leave the table. And you have to fork out hundreds of quid for a red suit to get covered in wine and vomit and have the knees ripped out from where you slide across the floor. You have more expectation of you, and after the euphoria of power, etc. You will realise that some of your best friends are stuck in th OR's bar whilst you hob nob with idiots who you couldnt stand before. I wish i was a full screw....
Not that its happened to me or anything!
 
#16
ITS NOW YOUR MESS AND ITS WHAT YOU MAKE IT, BUT REMBER THAT MOST OF THE PROMOTIONS ORIGONATE FROM THE MESS DONT FORGET THE UNWRITTEN RULE MENTIONED EARLIER AND JUST ENJOY IT.
 
#17
scott8629 said:
I dont really know what goes on at the mess do's as I have refused to wait on when I was a young soldier.
Well going from that chip on your shoulder you'll fit right in.
 
#18
scott8629 said:
I refused to wait on when I was a young soldier.

What can I expect good and bad?

Cheers
Waiting on through a dinner night is something we all endure. Endure! I had many a night supping free wine and beer in the Sgts Mess kitchen and negotiating delivery of the suite in a drunken manner. They were actually good nights plus it gave you that insight to mess life for later.

Personally I think you are a bit of a w@nker. In view of your refusal; I hope you stick by your fcuking ideals and on a dinner night, get up and get your own fcuking food and drink reflecting your own principle by refusing to be waited upon.
 
#19
Congrats on getting your third. It is indeed an honour to join the mess, but with it comes a heavy burden. Some day, maybe sooner, maybe later, you will find yourself in a situation when everyone (including the platoon commander) is looking at you for leadership & guidance. Thats when you will find yourself measured. You are responsible for those blokes and you will be the one facing their parents if you fail. Sorry to get heavy, but that is really what is all about.

Yes there are some complete t*ssers in the mess, but the vast majority are there because they deserve it. The point of being a mess waiter, as far as I am concerned, is it gives the blokes an opportunity to look after the Mess for one function, while the Mess looks after them at all other times.

A good SNCO, at whatever rank, is King Wolf in his pack. You keep the others in line, make them work together, provide an example and defend them against any threat, be that the enemy or some army bullsh*t. But you've also got to make sure your subbie does not do too much damage and developes enough understanding that he can be trusted to command troops on his own. That is also another heavy burden, because one day that clumsy young rupert will be in a position of real power and will remember the lessons you taught him.

This post proves I'm getting old, because I'm banging on like those old duffers I used to take the p*ss out of when I waited on the Mess.
 
#20
watertight said:
scott8629 said:
I refused to wait on when I was a young soldier.

What can I expect good and bad?

Cheers
Waiting on through a dinner night is something we all endure. Endure! I had many a night supping free wine and beer in the Sgts Mess kitchen and negotiating delivery of the suite in a drunken manner. They were actually good nights plus it gave you that insight to mess life for later.

Personally I think you are a bit of a w@nker. In view of your refusal; I hope you stick by your fcuking ideals and on a dinner night, get up and get your own fcuking food and drink reflecting your own principle by refusing to be waited upon.
I joined the TA to do soldiering, not to wait on tables, all the blokes who wanted to get out of hard graft waited on. All the good OR's in my unit frouned upon waiting on, we left it for the dicks and bounty hunters. Maybe it was some great honour to wait on in your unit but not mine.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top