Just for fun, create MTDs by highlighting MOD waste elsewhe

JD150 said:
the_creature said:
To be fair everytime I go in to my unit and sign the pay sheet I only see the same guys coming in. The pay sheet is 2 pages long with at least 50 bods on it and most of them non attendees or recruits that have jacked it in. Why dosent anyone chase this up and ask them to hand their kit in or at least warn that their MTD's will be given to the guys deploying on operations.
Your unit's admin must be terrible, at our place we do bin these wasters! Some OCs like to play the numbers game and keep them on so they can make a big show about how well recruited they are to the CO.

...and their MTDs do go to the active members of the Sqn.
I think its a case of having the numbers on paper. I think if it came to the worst the unit would get rid of the failed recruits but we have had it easy compared to most so its probably not a drama. The battalion has been very sticked this year and warned if anyone skips a weekend (DIE) they will not deploy on operations so weekend turn outs have been very large.

msr said:
Could also add: stop sending pointless faxes (including the 3 pages of addressees) to every subunit about kit/stores/ammunition/etc we have never had and never will have.

Use email!

msr
Noooo! msr, you forgot to say "Use e-mail. Don't print it out on the full distribution list!"

I understand now. So Public Sector workers have higher salaries and significantly better pension schemes than the Private Sector, but they still felt hard done by, so the Govt gave them bonuses too.

Ireland, Greece and Spain all have the right idea. The sooner our Govt does the same, the better.

Its loathed by the MOD CS who would much rather the money was spent on proper salaries than a scheme devised to make us even more despised by the Public than usual...[/quote]

Not to mention the fact the bonus is for meeting or exceeding specific job targets and that it does not run into the thousands, as is the public perception, but a couple of hundred quid for an E1 not much more for a D grade.

Cardinal

[quote="redfibee"]I understand now. So Public Sector workers have higher salaries and significantly better pension schemes than the Private Sector, but they still felt hard done by, so the Govt gave them bonuses too.

Ireland, Greece and Spain all have the right idea. The sooner our Govt does the same, the better.[/quote]

Er...... no the wole public sector package is a good one so no need to feel hard done by. However basic pay is below private sector levels, pension arguably better and other benifits fair. All in all its a good but not great or exceptional package.

As for bonuses they are small'ish and many private sector companies pay them as well, do you get a Christmas bonus? Many do you know, but not civil servants so they are not cause of the problems.

Cardinal

I'd back Cardinal & jim30 ont his one. There were civil servants on the industrial grades on my last garrison before retirement who were paid sub-£15,000 per year. I'm not surprised they lived in covvies, old fleeces & silver shadows as I couldn't imagine trying to support a family, rent a house & pay for food on that kind of money.

I've been told we have to pay 20 quid a month for each DII account. I do use mine regularly but it's only for about 15 minutes on a Tuesday, and it doesn't seem like good value to me!

Quote from Daily Telegraph 21 Jan 2010:-

"Workers in the public sector are now being paid more than £2,000 extra a year compared with employees in the private sector, after public sector pay continued to race ahead of inflation.

The average public sector worker was paid £23,660 a year, compared with private sector workers who were paid £21,528 a year, in the three months to the end of November. "

A 10% pay cut should just about do the job.

This salayy thing is a fantasy statistic created by the private sector!!

Long long ago, the public sector employed all of its own, cleaners, canteen, maintenance staff etc etc. Think of all those range maintenance jobs now in the hands of ESS etc etc. Essential, low paid jobs that weren't core business.

Now they are all outsourced to the private sector, we simply don't employ as many people in those essential but low paid jobs - hence our average salary goes up, and the private sector average goes down.

Compare advertised posts on a like for like basis and you'll find it comes out the other way around - even if not by much.

msr said:
Could also add: stop sending pointless faxes (including the 3 pages of addressees) to every subunit about kit/stores/ammunition/etc we have never had and never will have.

Use email!

msr
When we, with nothing more harmful in the armoury than an SA80 recieved the umpteenth similar fax on obsolete aircraft flares and redundant MLRS rounds I actually rang the IPT who had sent it out. "Thats the system" was the response, "We might miss someone if we did it any other way..."

My current favourite is the decree that the TSU cannot work overtime....so we hire should civvy coaches instead. Penny pinching madness.

Jedi_Sapper said:
Long long ago, the public sector employed all of its own, cleaners, canteen, maintenance staff etc etc. Think of all those range maintenance jobs now in the hands of ESS etc etc. Essential, low paid jobs that weren't core business.

A couple of points here.
First is that many of these posts are genuinely redundant. Do we really need a cleaner every day - and what the F8ck do we need a range warden for most of the time ? In the last few years I've shot on a couple of other armies ranges - they did not understand what I meant by "range warden". Book range, draw targets from store on camp, shoot, clean range, endex. A busy range complex needs only the minimum no of folk required to maintain the kit and admin the store, not a bloke to sit in a hut at the back making brews all day on overtime just because you are on the range.
Second is that the Govt Stats will show that these jobs have gone - no they have not, we've just moved them to a civvy company and probably now pay more for a worse service. Thats certainly the case with ESS and food.

saladin said:
msr said:

Use email!

msr
When we, with nothing more harmful in the armoury than an SA80 recieved the umpteenth similar fax on obsolete aircraft flares and redundant MLRS rounds I actually rang the IPT who had sent it out. "Thats the system" was the response, "We might miss someone if we did it any other way..."

My current favourite is the decree that the TSU cannot work overtime....so we hire should civvy coaches instead. Penny pinching madness.
I think one of the ones we got last week was about a Paveway IV prac thingy...

billypleased said:
If we have to do this every year, perhaps we are getting too much? If not, make the training better so we do use it for training purposes.
Actually have the permanent (civvy) staff work during the day.
I know in my unit whenever we have a job needing done (painting vehicles, weapon cleaning, inspections, general duties) the unemployed or avalable TA are called in during the day, while they sit in the office directing
My Bold - As a civilian storeman in my unit as well as a TA soldier, hard working in both capacities, this offends me.

To that end sir i challenge you to a duel...watermelons at dawn!!!

Nah i agree, i know a few civvies who receive a reasonable wage but do heehaw for it.

As well as a few fat, useless, senior TA biffs that could get chucked to save money

the_wolf said:
billypleased said:
If we have to do this every year, perhaps we are getting too much? If not, make the training better so we do use it for training purposes.
Actually have the permanent (civvy) staff work during the day.
I know in my unit whenever we have a job needing done (painting vehicles, weapon cleaning, inspections, general duties) the unemployed or avalable TA are called in during the day, while they sit in the office directing
My Bold - As a civilian storeman in my unit as well as a TA soldier, hard working in both capacities, this offends me.

To that end sir i challenge you to a duel...watermelons at dawn!!!

Nah i agree, i know a few civvies who receive a reasonable wage but do heehaw for it.

As well as a few fat, useless, senior TA biffs that could get chucked to save money
Make it kiwi fruit and you're on.

Not all are like this, but the majority in my unit and in others I have observed are.

Reminds me of something similar the last shower of sh1te brought in, something about whistleblowing? If it was in the public interest/greater good etc etc....
Trouble is, everyone that did got sacked/nicked/moved taken to court......................
Hmmm...............

CaptainPlume said:
I'd back Cardinal & jim30 ont his one. There were civil servants on the industrial grades on my last garrison before retirement who were paid sub-£15,000 per year. I'm not surprised they lived in covvies, old fleeces & silver shadows as I couldn't imagine trying to support a family, rent a house & pay for food on that kind of money.
Just like in the old Soviet Union: they pretend to work and we pretend to pay them.

msr

msr said:
CaptainPlume said:
Just like in the old Soviet Union: they pretend to work and we pretend to pay them.

msr
I think you do a great injustice to some people who were doing their best. They may have been slow & hidebound by regulations but I always got my clothing exchanges & drew ammunition or weapons when I needed to. I even had a good deal of banter with said grumpy Normans.

For the kind of money offered one is not going to recruit the quickest greyhounds out of the trap & those recruited are not going to be innovative thinkers. Similarly someone poorly paid & with very little prospect of promotion or preferment is unlikely to go the extra mile.

This is basic management knowledge. Perhaps people who rant about how the CS, especially the low-grade ones, should have a look at how they go about treating them.

Saying that the MT section at my last Garrison were idle jobsworths of the first order who felt it more important that a 1* be kept waiting for a report by one of his Staff Officers while said Staff Officer refuelled the motor. It was out of the question for the civvy MT staff to do refuelling as it would interfere with their brew-drinking & reading The Sun with their lips moving.

Use email!

msr
good god yes. Why oh why oh why do we need to know that Brimstone should not be carried on the back of a donkey if the temperature is above 30c?!?!

Turn the heating off in the summer!
Ours goes off 1st April and does not come back on until about October regardless of the temperature!

I've been told we have to pay 20 quid a month for each DII account. I do use mine regularly but it's only for about 15 minutes on a Tuesday, and it doesn't seem like good value to me!
For a standard user (ie a role/EGS account) yes although I thought it was £25 p/m.

I'll tell you how to save money; this is from a post I made a few months ago - by the way the unimong kit is still collecting dust in the cellar.

Unimong adventures; no wonder the MOD is skint...

Greetings, currently we are trying to rid ourselves of all the old unimong crap we have hanging around (servers etc). This you would think is a easy thing to do. Wrong!

Firstly we had two people come out to say "yes it can go" and switch the unimong crap off at the wall. 10 minutes.

Wait three weeks;

Then two more people came and unplugged it from the wall, unplugged the network cables. 20 Minutes.

Now we're waiting for more people to come along and take it away.... What a bloody joke. I bet these people all work for different companies as well..

E

EScotia

I think you'll find they didn't invent the 4C system, try reading JSP 375.

Again another potentially interesting subject turns into a CS bashing circus. Compared to the number of useless low paid CS that exist, I see a greater number of regular PSIs that have been promoted above their natural ceiling or simply do not have the depth of knowledge to succesfully hold down their appointment, yet strangely get promoted & sent to another TA unit. I could also mention NRPS, some do sterling work but just as many live on past glories (I suppose I could count myself among them if I'm honest!).

Cardinal,
How about we get rid of all the "overweight Medics" that sleep in the Jack wagon whilst everybody esle does phys?

How about we get rid of all the "overweight Medics" that only turn up for training when the sun shines like it does in Gibraltar?

How about we get rid of "overweight Medics" that go sick and when the lads pack their kit they find out that Fat SNCO Medics send post cards to thier civi friends walting it up in a rather a big way and telling lies about what they have been doing?

Not only would that save at least 27 MTD's but save a lot of oxygen from getting stolen.

Now wind your neck in.
You could always get rid of most field hospitals