Just been given a inhaler..are my chances gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in joining the forces, going as far as to being sent out my forms to fill in.

Thing is, i've been ill for 4 or 5 days with a horriffic cough and then when i went to the GP i was told it was a chest infection and i was prescirbed an inhaler for a week.

I know in the forms it sayd you cant of been given an inhaler for 5 years, but will i be allwoed to continue my application if it was given as a 1 week prescription for a chest infection, not for asthma or anything long term?

Any help would be appreciated, thought id get some answers on here before i ring them up to ask.

I'm interested in joining the forces, going as far as to being sent out my forms to fill in.

Thing is, i've been ill for 4 or 5 days with a horriffic cough and then when i went to the GP i was told it was a chest infection and i was prescirbed an inhaler for a week.

I know in the forms it sayd you cant of been given an inhaler for 5 years, but will i be allwoed to continue my application if it was given as a 1 week prescription for a chest infection, not for asthma or anything long term?

Any help would be appreciated, thought id get some answers on here before i ring them up to ask.

What sort of inhaler is it ? blue, brown ?

4 years symptom or treatment free and they wont budge from those rules.

The only way things may get changed if the GP admits he diagnosed you wrong and gave you the inhaler by mistake...which is very doubtful a GP admitting they are wrong.

Should have told the doctor you did not want it, you're stuffed now.

I don't think the rule is for 'any inhaler' isn't it just for ashmatics?

Check with the recruiters.

I don't think the rule is for 'any inhaler' isn't it just for ashmatics?

Check with the recruiters.
OK Im here, yes he will be barred as said 4 years treatment or symptom free.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
dont tell them, non of their business as long as you arent asthmatic. people get given all sorts of inhalers now for all sorts of reasons and the questionnaire is a bit out of date.

Wonderful advice grumblegrunt so if he lies during his RG8 health Questionairre and doesn't get found out then lies to the SMO at ADSC he can get all the way to training then when they get his med records boot him out in his first few days. Great input from you and totally wrong...maybe stick in the NAAFI bar.

its a blue one.

no the like rounded kind though that are white with a blue ring at the bottom, it's all blue.

and okay i guess i'm fucked now then! so frustrating, i've been training really hard, my 1.5 miler is under 9 mis, press ups and sits ups are all fine and just because i have a bad cough im completely knackered!

its a blue one.

no the like rounded kind though that are white with a blue ring at the bottom, it's all blue.

and okay i guess i'm fucked now then! so frustrating, i've been training really hard, my 1.5 miler is under 9 mis, press ups and sits ups are all fine and just because i have a bad cough im completely knackered!

I'm not a doctor but if you had asthma you would have be given a 'preventer' something to take every day forever - like beclomethasone which calms down the irritation in your lungs . The Blue one (salamol probably) - is a 'reliever' and is used to relieve any additional wheezy symptoms.

Your doctor has probably given you the blue one because your chest infection is nasty and you might benefit from the blue ones ability to open up the airways.

It doesn't sound like asthma but go back to your GP and ask him - if he says its not asthma then ask him to strike the prescription off.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
its a blue one.

Look your health is more important and there are plenty of other jobs you can do. If you want to apply again in the future...

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I'm not a doctor but if you had asthma you would have be given a 'preventer' something to take every day forever - like beclomethasone which calms down the irritation in your lungs . The Blue one (salamol probably) - is a 'reliever' and is used to relieve any additional wheezy symptoms.

Your doctor has probably given you the blue one because your chest infection is nasty and you might benefit from the blue ones ability to open up the airways.

It doesn't sound like asthma but go back to your GP and ask him - if he says its not asthma then ask him to strike the prescription off.
Altering records is what Shipman did. If I remove anything from our system I have to give a reason but it's not removed just recorded as an error.

Altering records is what Shipman did. If I remove anything from our system I have to give a reason but it's not removed just recorded as an error.
Then 'recorded as an error' is his best bet he'll be seen to have been honest with his application - answering all the questions openly and honestly. And, if you're as medical as you sound, he's not got Asthma has he ? You just don't treat it with Ventolin alone.

its a blue one.

You're not fcuked mate... just delayed.

Do something for four years then give it another go.

University or some kind of apprenticesip would fill the gap. And be useful when you joined.

Join the ACF for some experience as a AI? Bit of a grounding in the army, basic mind, but good leadershipp practice neverthe less. and they take people with ashma.

Keep up th fizz, join a rugby club, or similar. Do some outdoors stuuf (DofE, canoeing rock climbing. its all goo). maybe join a cross country clbu

OK to stop all you future SMO's from argueing the sky is BLUE just let the OP put his RG8 in and see what the SMO says, there will be Further Information letters sent to and from GP/Applicant through the Careers office and then let the SMO make his final decision. RyanRangers asked a question, I answered it with the Medical Centres reply they ask us to and from what I see week in week out but I am not medical trained so as I tell any applicant put it in and you will get your answer. As said this will more than likely come back with a deferral date of four years from the date of issue like four of my applicants have done in the last two months. If the GP is going to write on the RG8 something to assist the applicant to say he mistakenly issued the inhaler then it would help the applicant but same thing its up to the SMO final decision.

OK to stop all you future SMO's from argueing the sky is BLUE just let the OP put his RG8 in and see what the SMO says, there will be Further Information letters sent to and from GP/Applicant through the Careers office and then let the SMO make his final decision. RyanRangers asked a question, I answered it with the Medical Centres reply they ask us to and from what I see week in week out but I am not medical trained so as I tell any applicant put it in and you will get your answer. As said this will more than likely come back with a deferral date of four years from the date of issue like four of my applicants have done in the last two months. If the GP is going to write on the RG8 something to assist the applicant to say he mistakenly issued the inhaler then it would help the applicant but same thing its up to the SMO final decision.

Waiting four years is harsh in this case - GP's chuck ventolin at people all day long to help them relieve a tight chest or a wheeze - for the OP it has more drastic consequences than it would Joe Public. If the OP had Asthma symptoms then the GP would have asked for a Spirometry test and prescribed more than just Ventolin - probably a dose of Prednisolone and some Oxy.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Then 'recorded as an error' is his best bet he'll be seen to have been honest with his application - answering all the questions openly and honestly. And, if you're as medical as you sound, he's not got Asthma has he ? You just don't treat it with Ventolin alone.
I can't imagine a GP recording it as an error if he or she prescribed it due to the symptoms he had. Indeed some people are treated with just ventolin you'd only add a steroid if it was needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.