Just as much chance to get to Sandhurst

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by jackrk, Jul 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm turning 18 very soon and heading into my final year of education in September. I'm going to apply to become an Officer, I'm very confident I will get the grades required and I am in pretty good shape although not the best. The only thing is that I'm worried they might think I'm not old enough to start applying at 18 and that not suitable atm. I'm from the Republic of Ireland by the way. I haven't looked at it much but I've seen a few school leavers get into Sandhurst but one lad was the son of a General and a few others had got scholarships from Welbeck (I think) so I'm worried I haven't got anything behind me as my CV is pretty empty apart from a few manual jobs but nothing to suggest I'm officer material. The only thing I've got going is a long line of military blood (who were soldiers). I'm not deterred from applying but I can't help but think my chances are pretty slim even if I have what it takes but not the age to go with it.

I have the determination, potential etc. otherwise I wouldn't want to waste anyones time but I have nothing to back it up like UOTC, Territorial etc. based on this do you think I will be given the chance?

Either way I'm going to Belfast next month for the interviews and I will find out then but it would be good to know I will be given the same chance as someone who came out of UNI (assuming I have the qualifications and fitness)g
  2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

It isn't something you should be too concerned about because you are primarily assessed on what is seen at AOSB Briefing and Main Board, rather than what is in your CV. However, at your age you should be prepared to be told, particularly at the Briefing but it can happen at your initial interview as well, that you need to spend some time growing up. Some 18 year olds are ready to go to Main Board and then Sandhurst and some aren't. However, you can be reasonably sure that you won't be told to give up the idea completely: 18 year olds always have some developmental stretch and AOSB fully recognises that.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Of course you will be given the same "chance" but you clearly won't have the life experience of someone who is 24+. It is also highly unlikely that you will have the same physical strength or self-confidence. Bottom line is that if you are good enough then your age won't count against you. The fact that you already have doubts yourself suggests that perhaps you might be better getting some work or life experience or improving your educational qualifications. As you say, your CV is probably pretty thin and what will you talk about in interview to impress the DS? I know plenty of people who were at RMAS at 18 or 19 so if you're good enough then go for it; if not then don't.

I am assuming that you have at least the A Levels required? I also assume that you have confirmed that your nationality will not preclude entry? I'm not saying it will it's just that I have never met anyone from ROI who went through Sandhurst.
  4. I realize I might be considered too young when I apply but by the time I finish my exams and get my results i will be 19, I believe only at that point when I have the right results I can attend main boards and I expect it to be a lengthy process so I am hoping I will be nearing my twentieth by the time I can attend (this is just talk, might be shorter might be longer). I can only hope they see my potential. Thanks for the reply anyway, good to know if I fail its because it isn't down to lack of exp.
  5. I see your point I don't doubt my abilities but I acknowledge that age and my lack of exp. might count against me. My CV IS pretty thin but I reckon a UNI grad wouldn't have one much better (except the degree)

I haven't done my leaving cert (A Levels equivalent) yet but I am allowed to apply now and pending my results I will be able to progress. I'm not worried about my nationality I have a dual citizenship as I'm Irish/British. Cheers for the reply good to see from your exp. that age isn't a factor.
  6. If you look at the lists from some recent Sovereign’s Parades at RMAS and count up those who have previously gained a university degree, it’s about 90%. Obviously some people have to constitute the straight-from-school 10% and you might be one of them. But as has been suggested, you will have to be exceptionally mature and confident to compete alongside all those who have acquired another 3 years’ life experience.
  7. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

In my platoon at RMAS, there were four of us who were 18 with the rest in their early/mid twenties. There was no doubt it made it much more difficult but one of us (not me!) won the blade. Subsequently he also passed selection, commanded a sqn and was COS 16 Bde.

The bottom line is that if you're good enough then you're old enough! Personally though I wasn't that good and would have benefited from a few extra years of maturity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  8. Potentially yes, if you're talking about the sort of University graduate who's spent 3 years shuttling about a triangular groove between the lecture-hall, the Union bar and his accommodation.

On the other hand there are those that spend a gap-year digging wells and teaching primary school kids English in a godforsaken African nation. Those who captain a varsity sports team in term-time, organise an Adventurous training expedition in one summer "Vac", and undergo a commercial internship the next summer (so that they've seen a bit of life outside the Uni/Army, too) and still find time pass the course. (N.B. many who keep themselves so busy don't get terrible good grades.)

However, there is (now) a very egalitarian system to see if you might have what it takes, so if you're athletic and have great personal charm, give it a bash.

Another factor is this - There's a very trite little phrase I keep hearing when youngsters ask about pursuing entry to Sandhurst, which is "If you've never paid a gas-bill or signed a housing contract, how can you advise one of your young soldiers about doing so?" This may count against you doubly-so as a young Irishman (not withstanding dual-nationality), as you've grown up in another nation, where I would presume contract-Law is different. Even if you've listened in on a relative discussing renting their flat, the Irish-law example would be considerably less helpful here.

At uni, you will generally live in privately rented accomm the last two years and learn how to deal with a few extra curricular things, such as convincing the bailiffs you are not the previous year's occupants (who didn't pay their bills) and talking to the police after the local Chavs nick your laptops.

(Goodness knows how that argument worked 40-odd years ago, when only circa-8% of the school-leavers went to Uni, but Sandhurst was a 2-year course, seen as an alternative to Uni by many blue-blooded families. Those guys must have gone straight from boarding school to RMAS without ever seeing a Gas-bill!)
  9. Yes there the ones I meant :)

From what you said sports and athlectism gives an advantage- I do sports, I'm in the local and school football clubs and been going to the gym 6 hrs a week the last two years, I consider myself very fit in one sense but I am however more of a well built rugby physique than a lean footballer physique so endurance wise I'm not the best due to my overall size. I, however have not done anything for the poor kids in Africa

As an above poster suggested I looked at a list of Sandhurst Graduates and seen a small amount of people who didn't go to UNI. I also saw some of the accomplishments of some of the cadets very intimidating :silent:. Am I the only person looking to go to Sandhurst who hasn't won a world championship? :meditate: I've won county medals but thats as far as it goes

Also I'm not too worried about accomadation most of my family are english and I'm sure they can sort me out till I get on my feet (if I manage it) I've paid bills, taxes etc. but yer I'm no financial adviser =\\\')and don't worry I've had a few encounters with the police about chavs so I know how to deal with them ;P

Thanks for all the replies finding it very helpful