Just as a matter of interest.

Discussion in 'Medals' started by Taffd, Mar 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I inherited my Dad's medals and while I'm never going to sell them, I'm wondering what sort of monetary value they have.

They are:-

Atlantic Star
    Africa Star
    Burma Star
    Italy Star
    1939-1945 Star
    Korea Medal
    UN Korea Medal
    Near East Medal
    War Medal (1939-1945)
    LS&GS Medal

I've looked at various sites but can't find a similar rack, and I don't want to have to pay for a valuation for something I'm never going to sell.

Anybody got any rough idea please?

2. They are of little value to you, but mean a great deal to the man that earned them. No value in monetary form can ever be placed on a service man's medals.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Very true, but after what he went through to get them...and how little it meant to every government department since then, I'd bet he'd want this family to benefit from them more than he probably did.

It wouldn't hurt to spend a few bob getting them valued.

My daughter can sell mine to the highest bidder when I fade away....they'll be no use to me, where I'm going.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Interesting group - what service was he?

5. Looks like a good, long-service RN/RM group. Dependant on the ships that he served in and with supporting paperwork and phots, maybe £300.

What rank is the LSGC? That can have a bearing also.

6. What a strange reply.

How did you glean the value I place on them, and seeing as you didn't know my Dad, how the flying **** do you work out that they meant a great deal to him?

In fact, I suggest they mean more to me than they did to him. He was never much arsed with them, simply stuffed them in a box and forgot about them. It's me who's got them framed and up on the wall.

And as for your last sentence - utter, utter bollocks. Websites abound putting monetary values on racks of medals.

• Like Like x 3
  7. I don't think he ever thought about his family getting any sort of benefit from them. I like to think he'd be pleased with what I've done with them.

Again, I've no interest in selling them, but I would like them to be worth something.

Used to work with a fella many moons ago who's hobby was medals. He'd get a set, then build a biography of the recipient. And the more mundane the set, the more ordinary the recipient, the more pleasure he got from it. Making something of somebody forgotten, sort of thing.

8. RN. Got his service docs, as well as some phots and some signals about VJ Day.

Don't know about the LS&GC. Also, he had a rosette for one of the medals but it's lost and I'm unsure which one it was for.

Thanks for your input.

9. Agreed Taff, you made it quite clear you don't want to sell. I'd expect it would be a good idea to get a proper valuation for insurance purposes, even though anything paid out would be paltry to the real value.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

10. The rosette got me thinking.

I don't think that a rosette was issued for any of the WW2 stars but I do recollect that a (very) few had sewn on bars specifiying theatre or membership of a unit such as aircrew. I have seen WW2 stars with the MID leaves on them.
    (I note that your dad got five stars but I recall that the War Office only ever issued up to three maximum at any one time, there may be exemptions and exceptions to this rule but I'm pretty sure it is correct.)

The 2 Korea medals should not have any rosette attached IIRC but am happy to be corrected.

The 1939-45 war medal doesn't have any attachments beyond possible MID IIRC.
    (Bit baffled as to the absence of the 1939-45 Defence Medal which even my Home Guard Grandad got, maybe service at sea didn't act as a qualifier for this medal but I don't know).

Don't know the rules regarding devices on RN LS&GC medals.

This leaves the Near East Medal which I have never heard of.
    Could be possible that this medal was issued with an In Theatre rosette to distinguish participants from planners in the way that the 1982 South Atlantic Medal did?

If the medals still have them, you could look closely at the ribbons and they might give you a clue as to the original whereabouts of the rosette.

11. 'Near East' was a bar to the RN GSM. Issued for service in the Suez crisis 1956.

12. And yet you can't seem to get a valuation? Strange. Anyhoo, try the British Medals Forum, it's full of collectors and expert types, they'll give you a good steer.

13. Does being an emotional woman come easy to you?

14. You may have missed the bit where I said I couldn't find a similar rack.

Thanks for the forum tip.

15. Thanks for your input. Led me to a website that I've now lost 'cos this laptop crashed. However, up to 5 stars were allowed. The silver rose (rosette) would be either because he was entitled to the Pacific Star as well as the Burma Star, or the French and German Star as well as the Atlantic Star. Probably the Pacific.

It would appear that he also qualified for the Defence Medal - can't think why he didn't have one.

Near East is indeed the GSM.

Thanks to all so far.