Just a quick question.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Bgouldi, Dec 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all I just wanted to make sure.

I believe that you can still join the Infantry when you wear glasses aslong as you pass an eye test.
    Is this true?

Regards

2. I know people in the infantry that wear glasses. So I guess it'd be a yes.

3. Ahh cheers for that. I just wanted to make sure.

4. Yes, but you have to cam-up the frames on exercise or in action.

5. Ahh yes.
    What happens when you put a gas mask on?

6. You end up not quite so ugly

7. Haha

I should of frased my question slightly better.

For example would you have to take the glasses of and then the gas mask on in a very short amount of time or is there room to fit the glasses underneath?

8. I know you can get a different respirator for glasses wearers, not sure exactly how they differ though, but there is some system in place.

9. Ah no worries thats all I needed to know thanks for your time!

10. On a serious note ..............

In my day - inside tha gasmask, there were littlle holes above the nosepiece. If you wore specs you got issued a pair of specs - to your prescription - with forward-facing pins that coressponded with the holes - you fitted the specs in the holes that made them fit your fizzog best.

Previous to that there were what we called 'compo specs' - glasses with very very thin arms - so's they'd not break the seal of mask to face.

When I left you could get prescription glass built in to your gas mask - no specs required.

11. The respirator now comes with an attachment that is worn inside; seperately issued lenses get fixed in this, then when the call comes you rip off your glasses, and chuck the ressi on. The lenses are removable if your eyesight changes and you need a new prescription.

12. That clear's things up thanks alot!

14. They are removable by a CBRN instructor or the stores. They have to be in order to fit them in the original place.