Just a quick question

Hello all!

Let's start by saying, I'm not fishing for reassurance or anything. I don't need wrapping in cotton wool... I need honesty from seasoned soldiers (former serving)

I am a 5'4 Yorkshireman but on the slim side.... Would I get taken seriously as an Officer on first impressions?

How hard will it be to fit into a regiment/corps

Hello all!

Let's start by saying, I'm not fishing for reassurance or anything. I don't need wrapping in cotton wool... I need honesty from seasoned soldiers (former serving)

I am a 5'4 Yorkshireman but on the slim side.... Would I get taken seriously as an Officer on first impressions?

Do you own a bicorne hat? Have a habit of standing with one hand inside your waistcoat?

If so, you could be perfect for the job.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Join the 95th Rifles.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Hello all!

It's all about presence.

If you're soft, even the nicest people will walk all over you. At the same time, if you're a shouty type with little man syndrome, people's eyes will just glaze over each time you're dishing out yet another bollocking.

As long as you're professional, don't take any crap and keep it together - that time you do eventually lose your rag at some buffoon who couldn't follow simple instructions - it will have the desired effect.

Maintain composure like a duck on water; you can't see those little feet going like the clappers underneath right? So even if you're flapping on the inside, try not to show it or the SNCOs and WOs will eat you up.

Good luck.

At the same time, if you're a shouty type with little man syndrome, people's eyes will just glaze over each time you're dishing out yet another bollocking.
Sounds like a boss I had at one Unit. He was a poison dwarf from a Northern Regiment and ginger to boot.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Ronnie Corbett was an officer, ok so he was in the RAF, but if good old Ronnie could do it.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Sounds like a boss I had at one Unit. He was a poison dwarf from a Northern Regiment and ginger to boot.
Funnily enough, the guy I was thinking of was when I wrote that was a ginger tosser too - every single brief he just went into a major rant, never a good word to say.

On one occasion during an op tour, we'd had a major f**k-up and I'd alerted him to the issue, explained what had happened and said at the end of tonight's crew brief I'd like to make my point.

Later that night, he got them all together, went off on his usual rant. He then said "TM is going to bollock you now for X, Y, Z and the sh*t state you left A, B and C in. It's not good enough gents and I'm really f**ked off. You need to get your sh*t together etc etc etc..."

Basically said everything I was going to say, only angrier with a whiff of ginger failure about it. He then called me up at which point I looked at him glaring, then looked at the guys and said:

"...err, what he said"

@Yorkie8253

Has the above comments motivated you enough Yorkshire terrier (your new nickname)

Go for it mate and let us know how you get on?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
He was also a miserable little git with an acute case of SMS..
Well that's the first time I've heard a negative about the man, and besides he made laugh, especially on the two Ronnies.

Hello all!

Just stand really, really close to your men. Then you won't seem so small. If any of them do notice just style it out and say you're actually far away.

Well that's the first time I've heard a negative about the man, and besides he made laugh, especially on the two Ronnies.
I agree as an entertainer he was very er..entertaining however:
I base my opinion on the few days that I worked with him. He was not very amusing in real life and was constantly criticising the director in a manner that he thought we would appreciate. However we all liked the director and found Corbet to be a bit of a bully. I speak as I found but of course he may have been having a bad week when he was on set with us.

He's not the worst old twat I've had the pleasure of working with - Michael 'where's my ******* hairbrush' Winner takes that cake.

Apologies for diverting the thread. To the OP - don't use Ronnie C as a role model unless you decide to give the Army a swerve and take up light entertainment.

Comments were appreciated guys.... Bit of a boost to the old moral.... I'm sure that will be destroyed if I get as far as the pearly white gates of Sandhurst....

As for parades.... Well I'm sure someone can find me a box to stand on :D