Just a promotion quickie...

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ancient, Jul 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My PSAO tells me that it is impossible to be promoted to Sergeant from Corporal unless I have served at least three years as a substantive Corporal. I went up in September 2010, I have Signals JCLM and a MATT instructor qualification done and spent May 2011 to May 2012 attached to a regular unit. My SJARs are excellent. I am with 2 Sig Bde. Is he right?

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You will need at least 2 SJARs in rank, both of which will need to contain strong recommends for promotion for you to pick up at first look.

Why the rush? Why not spend some time to get competent rather than rushing for the next badge as soon as you can?

3. Go to MCM Div website, read what it says there.

4. Yep, 2 years in substansive rank with 2 good recommending SJARs, but as the Duke says whats the rush, fullscrew is the best nco rank to be in. More deployment oppotunities than a senior, a desent daily pay rate, no mess bills/meetings/functions etc.. less MS resonsibilities. Spend a couple more years in post gaining experience, perhaps stepping up every now and then to get a feel for promotion and what that entails.

Unless your one of those 40 somethings who joined late on in life, and you feel your in the wrong peer group

5. I'm in the 40 somethings who joined late in life and I feel I'm in the wrong peer group . Nail on head hit! Many thanks.

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Being older doesn't automatically make you suitable for the next rank up. To have credibility in rank you need experience and competence, not more birthdays.

As a Lt, I was very close in age to my Coy Comds - there was never any suggestion that I was ready to pick up a Crown just because we went to school at a similar time.