Just A Minute

Slime

LE
I remember him being in the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Birmingham Hippodrome, terrible legs in stockings and sussies but without doubt one of the great performers of his age.
I saw him as the narrator at the Bristol Hippodrome.
He smashed the role imho :)

I disagree about the legs, I saw him in Bielefeld in the late eighties and again in the UK much later.
Nice ankles and just the right amount of meat on the legs, though his were not a patch on mine.
He didn't miss a beat when I shouted for him to describe his testicles.
Is it time for the COs to add a "too" informative button?

Slime

LE
The innuendo is slowly coming back.
Paul Merton to replace him perhaps?
I certainly wouldn't want to lose one of the few bbc progames that is still worth listening to.
Paul Merton was my first thought.
Julian Clarey was the second idea, but I’m also aware that Sandy Toksvig is also free, and the Beeb love her.
I think she would be pants at this role even though she did well at the news quiz.

Julian Clarey was the second idea, but I’m also aware that Sandy Toksvig is also free, and the Beeb love her.
I think she would be pants at this role even though she did well at the news quiz.
If you just want to trot out the usual suspects that the BBC have on speed dial, you forgot Susan Calman, Sue Perkins and Jack Whitehall.

Sandy Toksvig was far better doing her own stuff as a panellist than reading a bbc script.

Sandy Toksvig was far better doing her own stuff as a panellist than reading a bbc script.
And that would certainly be true for Merton. He makes a good panellist, especially on Just a Minute, where his ability to improvise provides some excellent moments, but as the host/chairman/whatever they're called his abilities are just not suited to the role.

If that photo was 1975, the young lovelies in it are 45 years older than that now. If they were 25 then then they are 70 now.

But in 1975 I was 14 and would have thoroughly enjoyed seeing them back then (along with Legs and Co, Hill's Angels etc etc!)

And that would certainly be true for Merton. He makes a good panellist, especially on Just a Minute, where his ability to improvise provides some excellent moments, but as the host/chairman/whatever they're called his abilities are just not suited to the role.
I don't disagree with you but have difficulty thinking of a replacement.
Though Jack Dee could give it a go.
BTW I don't think this conversation is disrespectful, the King is dead, long live the new King.

I don't disagree with you but have difficulty thinking of a replacement.
Though Jack Dee could give it a go.
BTW I don't think this conversation is disrespectful, the King is dead, long live the new King.
Gyles Brandreth was a good stand-in when Nick missed an episode during the summer.

I worked with him on a West End theatre show in the early 90s. When we were recording the cast album in a studio at Wembley, Parsons and I were sat on a couch watching the telly. It was the morning after the first air raids of Gulf War I and the first news reports were breaking. It was shocking and quite scary at the time but I was still surprised to see Nicholas was crying as he watched.

He told me why.

In 1940 he was an apprentice on the Glasgow shipyards. When Dunkirk happened, it looked like the country was about to be invaded so he hitch-hiked to London to be with his mum. Forget all you've heard about the British stiff upper lip, he said there was panic everywhere and you couldn't get near the trains for crowds and armed guards. When he got to London, he and his mum decided they had to get out of the country so they hitch-hiked to Liverpool to get on a ship bound for ... well, anywhere but they hoped for Canada or Australia. There were so many people with the same idea that it was difficult to get lifts so they walked most of the way.

The sight that greeted them in Liverpool came to haunt him. Tens of thousands mobbed the docks, desperate to get onto the stream of ships they could see leaving. Belongings were abandoned and trampled as the crowd pushed onto the quays where police and soldiers, all armed, tried to bring order. To his shock, they opened fire either into or over the crowd, he didn't know. He saw them firing then the screams and suddenly the crowd turned and started pushing & shoving to get away.

They closed the docks shortly after so he and his mum walked home to London.

He told me all this with the tears streaming down his face as the news on tv gleefully showed the explosions and AA fire in Baghdad. It was the Blitz all over for him.

He could rant impressively in just about any language, without uttering any real words.

Can I have Barry Cryer in the dead pool?

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

If that photo was 1975, the young lovelies in it are 45 years older than that now. If they were 25 then then they are 70 now.

But in 1975 I was 14 and would have thoroughly enjoyed seeing them back then (along with Legs and Co, Hill's Angels etc etc!)

They're probably being shagged by 19 year old third world waiters for a "Right to Remain "

OneTenner

Old-Salt
If you just want to trot out the usual suspects that the BBC have on speed dial, you forgot Susan Calman, Sue Perkins and Jack Whitehall.
Sue Perkins should be buried in quicklime, dead if neccassary. With a layer of corn over the top to keep the body-sniffing dogs away (well it worked for the Serbs!)

Latest Threads