Just A Minute

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Broadcaster Nicholas Parsons has died at the age of 96 after a short illness, his agent has confirmed.
1580212737357.png

Very sad news. He has provided me with immense (radio listening) pleasure throughout my adult life.

Mind you, 96 years old ain’t a bad innings and he was fully in command of his faculties till the end. A life well lived.

The challenge now is to give his eulogy in 60 seconds without hesitation, repetition or deviation.

I'll always remember him from the seminal episode from The Comic Strip Presents . . . .

CE0DKSuWYAIpZ91.jpg

Edited to add: deviation.

Repeated from ‘Dead Pool 2020’:
It’s not widely known, but back in the 80s Nick Parsons was co-owner of the company that published ‘Defence’ magazine.
The magazine’s offices were in Windsor High Street and Nick was a frequent visitor. He was very knowledgeable on defence matters.
Many a happy hour was spent, glasses in hand, sitting in front of the huge fireplace and putting the world to rights.
He was erudite, witty and an absolute gentleman.
RIP Nick.

philc

LE
The challenge now is to give his eulogy in 60 seconds without hesitation, repetition or deviation.

I'll always remember him from the seminal episode from The Comic Strip Presents . . . .

View attachment 446259

Edited to add: deviation.

Mr Jolly Lives Next Door.

One of my favourite pieces of graffiti was on a railway bridge in Harrow in the 1970s.

'Nicholas Parsons is the neo-opiate of the people'

Slime

LE
Sad news, an excellent and witty presenter right up until the end.
He just had natural talent imho, whether it was the long running slot on Just a minute, or his role as ‘narrator’ on The rocky horror show stage play.

ETA.
He was good in Four feather falls too.

He will be a very tough car to replace on Just a minute, but I can’t help feeling that with the current attitude of the BBC they will want to replace him with a woman.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
One of those whose, when you read of their demise, you genuinely think it's a terrible shame.

He retained his wit right to the end.

A sad day.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
He will be a very tough car to replace on Just a minute, but I can’t help feeling that with the current attitude of the BBC they will want to replace him with a woman.
My second thought was, "I wonder how they'll smite this with the diversity hammer."

[ANGRY FACE]

[SAD FACE]

To be fair to the BBC, when Humphrey Littleton carked it the BBC sought to replace him (on "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue") as close to like for like as possible by hiring Jack Dee, who has been quite good in the role.

Mind you, they also banned all the sexual innuendo around Sven and Samantha, so they're not totally blameless. Twats.

Very sad - a genuinely great character and clearly a nice bloke.

To be fair to the BBC, when Humphrey Littleton carked it the BBC sought to replace him (on "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue") as close to like for like as possible by hiring Jack Dee, who has been quite good in the role.

Mind you, they also banned all the sexual innuendo around Sven and Samantha, so they're not totally blameless. Twats.
The innuendo is slowly coming back.
Paul Merton to replace him perhaps?
I certainly wouldn't want to lose one of the few bbc progames that is still worth listening to.

Last edited:
I remember him being in the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Birmingham Hippodrome, terrible legs in stockings and sussies but without doubt one of the great performers of his age.

I remember him being in the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Birmingham Hippodrome, terrible legs in stockings and sussies but without doubt one of the great performers of his age.
I disagree about the legs, I saw him in Bielefeld in the late eighties and again in the UK much later.
Nice ankles and just the right amount of meat on the legs, though his were not a patch on mine.
He didn't miss a beat when I shouted for him to describe his testicles.

... and the toning down of the Lionel Blair gags made them almost pointless. They were once pants-wettingly funny. Apparently Mrs Blair wasn't amused (well, according to Lionel she wasn't.)

Rather topically, Jack Dee occasionally introduces a very funny parody of Nicholas Parsons/Just A Minute into a round.

Latest Threads