Just a couple of questions!

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Morgs103, Aug 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a few questions I'd like answering if you could help us guys. I'm considering joining the infantry and I was wondering when they do the recruiting? Are there set dates and if so when are they?

Also I've heard lots of rumours about guys joining the infantry, going on tours and then when they come home being homeless and not being able to get work and stuff, how true is this?

Thanks in advance.

2. pop along to your nearest ACIO or recruiting office in Town, they'll give you the "shiny book" version of the Army.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Considering that you have just joined the TA and are having problems with the CFT, I would wait a while before you decide whether to go Reg or not.

Have a chat with the PSIs at your unit and ask them for advice.

4. Ah dont worry I'm in the process of sorting my fitness out. By the time I join I'll be a machine :D. I'll be joining when I turn 18 anyway, and thats two months away.

I'm going to go into the recruiting office on monday, I just thought I could get a few answers quickly :lol:

5. The selection is the same for everyone going into the Army so go down the ACIO get your Reception and book in for a BARB. Waiting for you Med Questionairre takes the longest time but hopefully will come back ok then if fitness and confidence is ok its through the two interviews and off to selection where its up to you (as long as youve taken the advice of your Recruiter)

Regarding Infantry unless you have a tradition of a certain Regiment in your family it is best to go with your local Regiment. There should be a recruiter from that Regiment in the ACIO to chat to so get as much info off him as you can about the history. If yo dont specify the local Regiment you could be put in the FOOTPRINT Bn (ie the one that is most undermanned) Reason for going for your local Regiment is local connections, other lads from same place in the Regiment, ease for lifts on leave etc.
    I was a PAN ARMY Recruiter so for everyone and not trying to take you away from infantry but you go down to selection with three choices so once the recruiter gives your options after BARB etc choose the ones that are best for you.

Regarding rumours being homeless think that if you have a career its something you can prepare for as you go along and if you want a career out of it then 22 years+ is a long time away. Regarding work after you get out there was a program years ago Who wants to hire a machinegunner about ex infantry soldiers who got out and thought they had nothing to offer civvy street after 22 years. This is total bolloxs as when I was attached to Armd Inf in Germany as a mechanic fixing Warrior there were other Seniors in the mess who had more quals then me as Infantry because theyd done OU stuff. The main thing is as a squaddie what ever job you do you will have hidden skills so your not to under estimate how good you are.

Hope things go well in the ACIO, work on your fitness.
    Good Luck

edited to add there are always Infantry basic training courses every month at the ITC Catterick so once youve passed selection it should be very quick.

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Great attitude, well done and good luck!