Just a couple of Hcav questions

1. Are there many Scots in hcav? Any video I’ve ever seen of them it seems to be english

2. I know they say you don’t need to have been horse riding before, but how possible is it for someone who’s never been on one to join?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
1. Are there many Scots in hcav? Any video I’ve ever seen of them it seems to be english

2. I know they say you don’t need to have been horse riding before, but how possible is it for someone who’s never been on one to join?
  1. I don't see why not.
  2. So they can teach you to ride their way. I was told (in the 1970s) the White Helmets positively wouldn't accept anyone who had ridden a motorcycle, so that they could teach you to ride their way.

1. Yes

2. On the intake I was in, there were three of us with lots of experience, one had competed - the rest had little or none and did ok. All passed out fine IIRC.

Over and above the basics of riding a horse (which isn't difficult in itself, applying it to many horses in lots of different environments is where experience comes in), riding in ceremonial kit is a completely different ballgame, that's where you are trained well, and you'll appreciate the schooling of the horses too.

Doing a Water Ride on a clear and cool summer's Saturday morning through the centre of London is something I'll never forget. Bonkers but utterly brilliant.

I was only there for the one summer to do the course, and it was fantastic, but those lads don't half work hard - huge amounts of respect.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm not taking the bait.

There is a series 'The Queen's Cavalry' on youtube.
Well worth a watch.
The recruits included a cloggie and a kiwi.
*edit: on one of the gunnery range clips, one of the chaps was a saffer*

Also, there was some chubby lad who had no experience with horses, and they showed the whole training schedule he had to endure to become proficient.

There are Scots in just about every unit in the British Army. The Household Cavalry are and always have been a UK wide recruiting Regiment. As long as you can spell the word "horse" you are eligible.