jury service

#1
jury service

never done it.

has anyone got any good stories?
 
#3
Mag_to_grid said:
I dont think you are allowed to do it as a serving soldier.
You are as a serving matelot. Quite an eye-opener it is too, not so much a vastly expensive means of delivering justice to scrotes but an insight as to how "bone" the average man/woman in the street acting as jurors are. :D
 
#4
You can while serving, one of my instructors in trade training got pinged for it once.
 

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
#6
My ex got called. She was quite excited. Made a change from sticking tubes up peoples bottoms whilst wearing suspenders. A Miss Marple murder? A drug smuggler? A terrorist?

What did she get? A kiddy fiddler. Who was guilty as sin but who walked on day 3 due to a technicality.

She was depressed for ages after. Hope you have better luck.

My ex was a nurse before anyone has a potentially jaw rearranging moment.
 

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
#7
New Liarbore decided that the people selected for Jury Service weren't as "representative" as they should be. This meant that a lot of people, previously excluded, were now caught by selection.

The new list now includes, Judges, Police Officers, Customs Officers, Excise Officrs, solicitors/barristers (and those blokes what sell coffee), so it wouldn't surprise me if the soldiery/matelots/crabs (hoick/spit) were to be inncluded too.
 
#8
I did it a few years ago... fcuk me it's dull. Did two trials which each lasted 2 1/2 days... spent the rest of the two weeks scratching me balls and praying not to get pinged for the Ian Huntley case which was coming up.

Oh, and if the other 11 are supposed to represent a cross section of society then this is one hell of a boring island!
 
#10
I got called up a month after I left the Army. Hot tip. If you don't want to be selected by the court wear a suit and look respectable. The defence barristers rejected me on the first two days - third day I turned up in jeans expecting another free day of work and got picked.
 
R

Reversionary_Modes

Guest
#11
Mr_Fingerz said:
New Liarbore decided that the people selected for Jury Service weren't as "representative" as they should be. This meant that a lot of people, previously excluded, were now caught by selection.

The new list now includes, Judges, Police Officers, Customs Officers, Excise Officrs, solicitors/barristers (and those blokes what sell coffee), so it wouldn't surprise me if the soldiery/matelots/crabs (hoick/spit) were to be inncluded too.
It's only surprising they didn't include prisoners in the list ...
 

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
#12
Only because they know what it's like to be on the receiving end, rather than the enforcing end.
 
#14
light_projector said:
I got called up a month after I left the Army. Hot tip. If you don't want to be selected by the court wear a suit and look respectable. The defence barristers rejected me on the first two days - third day I turned up in jeans expecting another free day of work and got picked.
Use to work near Crown court in Liverpool and use to go an watch trials and was always amazed at the state of some jurors, Tracksuits, jeans, and on 1 occasion a fella in Ron Hills cycling gear. Asked by judge had he cycled in, to be told "na got train", I sat there expecting the judge to have him removed, but he just stared at him a moment and carried on. They should enforce a dress code at least smart casual and definetly no JEANS/TRACKIES.
 
#15
Social_Handgrenade said:
I did it a few years ago... fcuk me it's dull. Did two trials which each lasted 2 1/2 days... spent the rest of the two weeks scratching me balls and praying not to get pinged for the Ian Huntley case which was coming up.

Oh, and if the other 11 are supposed to represent a cross section of society then this is one hell of a boring island!
Similar experience in 2002, two trials over two weeks.

I found out that police sergeants are not averse to lying through their teeth and middle aged middle class housewives are racist.

Oh, as I had to get there by public transport I also discovered that the trains are cr*p.
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#16
I got called up a couple of years back. First day (a Monday) sat around in the jury room at the Old Bailey all morning while various 'panels' were formed, none of which included me. Told to go for lunch at about 12 so went and had a pie and a couple of pints at a nearby pub. Went back at the appointed time and all the uncalled jurors got sent home until Wednesday. Arrived on the Wednesday morning and sat around until 12, reading a book. Sent for lunch and told to be back at 14.30, repeated the pie/pints scenario. Returned in the afternoon and about 80 of us were taken down to one of the court rooms for jury selection for a chav gang murder in Croydon. 24 names were called of the 80 or so potentials, not including me, and the remainder of us were then sent up to the jury rest area. After arriving there, we were all given a claim form and told that we wouldn't be needed again... and that was it.
 
#17
jimmys_best_mate said:
Mag_to_grid said:
I dont think you are allowed to do it as a serving soldier.
You can although I believe your CO can get you off it if you're so special your unit couldn't cope without you for a fortnight.
I'm sure my boss would love to send me away for a year of Jury Service never mind 2 weeks lol
 
#18
I did it within a month of leaving the army, I got a fraud were one of the presecution witnesses was arrested for the fraud on the orders ofnthe judge and a theft where the judge told us that it was £22 per minute to listen to a non case.

All very interesting, I'd do it again tomorrow as an academic experience.
 
#20
Ord_Sgt said:
You can while serving, one of my instructors in trade training got pinged for it once.
Ord, No mate, he was just busy filling in all your 252's :D
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
supermatelot The Intelligence Cell 21
Bootifull Finance, Property, Law 11
Delhispearman Finance, Property, Law 55

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top