jury service

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by hemingway, Sep 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jury service

never done it.

has anyone got any good stories?

2. I dont think you are allowed to do it as a serving soldier.

3. You are as a serving matelot. Quite an eye-opener it is too, not so much a vastly expensive means of delivering justice to scrotes but an insight as to how "bone" the average man/woman in the street acting as jurors are. :D

4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

You can while serving, one of my instructors in trade training got pinged for it once.

5. I think being allowed to is a recent thing.

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

My ex got called. She was quite excited. Made a change from sticking tubes up peoples bottoms whilst wearing suspenders. A Miss Marple murder? A drug smuggler? A terrorist?

What did she get? A kiddy fiddler. Who was guilty as sin but who walked on day 3 due to a technicality.

She was depressed for ages after. Hope you have better luck.

My ex was a nurse before anyone has a potentially jaw rearranging moment.

7. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

New Liarbore decided that the people selected for Jury Service weren't as "representative" as they should be. This meant that a lot of people, previously excluded, were now caught by selection.

The new list now includes, Judges, Police Officers, Customs Officers, Excise Officrs, solicitors/barristers (and those blokes what sell coffee), so it wouldn't surprise me if the soldiery/matelots/crabs (hoick/spit) were to be inncluded too.

8. I did it a few years ago... fcuk me it's dull. Did two trials which each lasted 2 1/2 days... spent the rest of the two weeks scratching me balls and praying not to get pinged for the Ian Huntley case which was coming up.

Oh, and if the other 11 are supposed to represent a cross section of society then this is one hell of a boring island!

9. You can although I believe your CO can get you off it if you're so special your unit couldn't cope without you for a fortnight.

10. I got called up a month after I left the Army. Hot tip. If you don't want to be selected by the court wear a suit and look respectable. The defence barristers rejected me on the first two days - third day I turned up in jeans expecting another free day of work and got picked.

11. It's only surprising they didn't include prisoners in the list ...

12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Only because they know what it's like to be on the receiving end, rather than the enforcing end.

13. True ... but it would free some cells up during the working day.

14. Use to work near Crown court in Liverpool and use to go an watch trials and was always amazed at the state of some jurors, Tracksuits, jeans, and on 1 occasion a fella in Ron Hills cycling gear. Asked by judge had he cycled in, to be told "na got train", I sat there expecting the judge to have him removed, but he just stared at him a moment and carried on. They should enforce a dress code at least smart casual and definetly no JEANS/TRACKIES.

15. Similar experience in 2002, two trials over two weeks.

I found out that police sergeants are not averse to lying through their teeth and middle aged middle class housewives are racist.

Oh, as I had to get there by public transport I also discovered that the trains are cr*p.