Jury Service

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by cpunk, Jul 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I got nailed to do jury service this week and after whinging, schimpfing and trying to avoid it, eventually trotted along to the Old Bailey on Monday morning consoling myself with the thought that at least I would be able to ensure a few chavs got sent to prison in order to compensate me for the inconvenience.

But no... I spent three hours sitting around drinking coffee on Monday morning before being sent home until Wednesday. Sat around for an hour or so on Wednesday morning before being told to go away and come back at 1400 hrs (I redeployed to a nearby pub and quaffed a couple of pints of Mr Fuller's finest) and then spent an hour or so on Wednesday afternoon standing in a courtroom with sixty or so other potential jurors whilst they selected a panel for a six to eight week murder trial which had I been called - and I wasn't - I wouldn't have been able to do owing to work and family holiday commitments. At which point those of us who weren't doing the murder trial were told that we wouldn't be needed again and sent home. So having had to completely rearrange life, work etc for two weeks, I now have to unarrange it all: what a total waste of fecking time!
  2. I had the same. Fired up with civic responsibility I trooped down to ensure a few neds were taken off the streets only to be dicked about for 3 days and then told 'thanks very much now p!ss off'
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Did it a couple of years ago - and took the wise advice that wearing a suit and reading the Torygraph would result in never being selected!

In second week, though, getting bored, I did get selected and even volunteered as Foreman; we managed to get a young scrote put down for 3 years for stabbing some innocent Cit to show off to his girlfriend. Mind you, this was a majority verdict, as two women on the Jury refused to convict him (in the face of the extensive evidence) as they 'didn't want to be responsible for ruining his life'.... After I stood up and said "we find the defendant guilty" (Oooh, the power) the Judge read us his list of previous, involving numerous stabbings, apparently since before he could walk.

IMHO, everyone should do it, but only if they have served in Uniform first. That would sort out a lot of problems - but perhaps not aid prison overcrowding :)
  4. I've just come off JS at the Old Bailey myself - couldn't agree with you more about the process.
    Have studied JS before in legal courses so I was admittedly quite looking forward to seeing the process 'from the other side' so to speak..... and was disappointed to see what was the biggest waste of time and money going.

The paperwork said don't even think of bringing a mobile phone with you, and having been there years ago with my class and had to leave our phones with the landlord of a nearby pub, I reluctantly left my mobile at home.... only see that other jury members (the serving jury members), the staff, etc all had theirs left, right and centre. I was pissed. Then for that whole first day - which was filled with watching the Jury Manager and her staff act like they know what they're doing, looking at shite daytime tv and reading the newspaper twice over, 30 of us were rounded up to go down to the court room...... only to come back 20 minutes later having not been in the 12 selected panel members :roll: Hear the jury manager 20 minutes after our return "Oh... are you lot the leftovers then?" Stupid cow. "Naah we love doing shite all day that we just walked out the court and came back..." Of course I didn't say that, but it was tempting.
    The next day (Tue) I was told not to go in, the Wed we came in 1000hrs, was told at 1100hrs that we're not needed til 1400hrs (visited the Museum of Britain though), by 1430 told again not needed til 1500, then by 1515 told to p1ss off again. The Thurs - day of the London Bombings - I was only there half hour before telling me to go home. I called up that afternoon and the JM said "Oh you were called up but you weren't here...." WTF? 8O Don't know their arrse from their elbow although that may be half-due to the extreme lack of communication between departments in the OB. I just hope the process I experienced isn't a reflection of the whole JS system. The only good thing that came out of it was that I met four very nice amicable people that I wouldn't had come across in my everyday life.
  5. I had done JS a couple of years ago, you lot need to get out in the provinces, short trials in my 2 week stint, i had the pleasure of helping find guilty 5 scroates of various degrees, getting one inmate of a young offenders prison off a atrumped up charge so a prison officer could get compensation.

and still had time to lounge around for a couple of days.
  6. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Done it, thoroughly enjoyed it, got two contrived charges quashed and one prosecution witness arrested and charged for the crime he was giving evidence over.....funny how the defendent way a refugee accused the the DHSS and a major insurance company; Innocent as the day is long and even the judge thanked us for coming to a sensible and obvious conclusion.
  7. can you volunteer for Jury Service or do you have to wait til they call you up ?
  8. You'll have to wait. But so many people are crying off you stand a reasonable chance of getting the call.

Both my sister and I have been called three times, although due to prevailing circumstances I've only actually gone for service once, during my stint I was sworn in on five cases although I only actually got to hear four. On the very first case it turned out that one of the jurors knew the prosecuting barrister, and then another dozy cow 'suddenly realised' that actually she sort of knew the defendant, since they were neighbours and maybe she should mention it. After that the judge decided a completely new jury might be the order of the day.
    The high spot was the case of the little scrote who offered a plain clothes copper some drugs, charged with offer to supply which seemed reasonable, but when he was searched it turned out he was selling empty wraps, so they also charged him with going equipped to defraud. Brilliant. Needless to say he was found guilty on both charges.
    That was at Southwark so it's not just the provinces that are busy, maybe it's just the Bailey that's a bit ****.
  9. ah no chance of hinting then , lol , i was hoping to do something different and the chance to take a break from work, the longer the trial the better for me, :)

The McLibel case would have be ok for me as it was the longest legal case running and was recently concluded (I think)
  10. ..yes but it didn't have a jury!
  11. Did it once, will do it again . Just take a good book while you're waiting.

First case was a barely literate Irishman accused of pulling a knife on a Copper, having threatened to kill his wife.

Without going intop details, we felt the young copper was errr "fibbing" a tad. Especially as his oppo refused to back up his statements, and the knife couldn't be found.
    When asked by the prosecution why he used a knife to threaten his wife , his reply was "Now Sorr , why would I be using a knoife when the good lord gave me 2 perfectly good fists?" .

Collapse of Jury and public into gales of laughter , even his Honour was suppressing a smile.. Needless to say , we found not guilty and the Judge then closed his remarks with 'Wasting court time and some young Policemen naming no names might like to re-consider their chosen careers"

The second case was a bad one. The defendant absolutely, and I can't explain it, gave off a palpable vibe of being a proper nasty piece of work. Anyway we found Guilty , and then the Judge read out his previous. Oh my , the only thing he hadn't done was sack Rome.
  12. I've never been called - would love to do it though. My bezzer has been called 4 times! She did it twice but her firm declined to release her for the other couple of occasions and she's now been promised she'll never be called on again. Mum had a juicy 3 month fraud case, that she said seemed to go way over the heads of 1/3 of the jury, which seems to support the current calls for financial cases to be tried without juries.