Junior Soldiers (Raw Recruits) Channel 5 HD

Enjoyed watching that (Raw Recruits) mostly for the cocky lad, he should do well as long as he's not too cocky as it goes on!

What I don't get is why kids join up and then get upset because they're homesick, or don't like getting wet/cold, or don't like holding guns FFS!!

You'd think the Army were trying to recruit a bunch of Snowflakes......oh wait!

Fantastic, young kids wanting to better themselves.

I remember grown adults homesick and blubing in my training party in the early 80’s

Obviously not Arrsers, everyone around here had it tougher, harder and more brutal (not the man sex) than anyone ever before or since. And are a milllion times hardier.

Legends in their own bedrooms, even if most only managed half a dozen years before moving on to a ‘much better’ job ^~

I am surprised we haven’t had the capbadge/left eye outrage yet :)

Last edited:
As an ex-junior (JLR RAC) I found it insightful. Kids from shitty home lives, zero positive role models or just want to better themselves, go for it. I can't see anything negative in having an Army Apprentice college

I just hope that I didn't look as baby-faced and innocent as they did. I don't recall anyone blubbing 24/7 either.
Still not happy that they have duvets. Where do I claim my compo for the mental torture of the crispy sheets and hairy blankets?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As an ex-junior (JLR RAC) I found it insightful. Kids from shitty home lives, zero positive role models or just want to better themselves, go for it. I can't see anything negative in having an Army Apprentice college

I just hope that I didn't look as baby-faced and innocent as they did. I don't recall anyone blubbing 24/7 either.
Still not happy that they have duvets. Where do I claim my compo for the mental torture of the crispy sheets and hairy blankets?
The "crispy" sheets were self inflicted!

As a former Army Apprentice I thought they captured the spirit and cameraderie created at that college. It also gives you a second home and a platform to build your life out of the ashes of whatever crazy childhood you were cursed with.. It would be my opinion it would be character building if all 16 year olds did at least six month or a year in a place like that.

Fantastic, young kids wanting to better themselves.

I remember grown adults homesick and blubing in my training party in the early 80’s

Obviously not Arrsers, everyone around here had it tougher, harder and more brutal (not the man sex) than anyone ever before or since. And are a milllion times hardier.

Legends in their own bedrooms, even if most only managed half a dozen years before moving on to a ‘much better’ job ^~

I am surprised we haven’t had the capbadge/left eye outrage yet :)
Cap badge knicker wetting has broken out all over FB. Junior soldier sweary is obviously having the time of his life and it's good to see driven young people. I was surprised about the amount of instructors and I now class myself as officially old when the barracks I trained in has been knocked down and rebuilt. AY must feel like that every time he passes Hadrian's wall.

No pollished floors, no bed blocks, carpets, mobile phones, dropped off by parents or whoever with a nice huggy-feely chat from the CO and only 6 months?

I know things have moved on a tad, but does this really and accurately prepare a junior for adult service?

Out of interest, with the current recruiting debacle that's taking recruits far too long to apply and begin training, none of these juniors could've acted that spontaneously and just decided to joined juniors without much thought over many months. There must have been some significant planning, forethought and parental consent, or is it different for juniors?

Last edited:
Yes, 6 months is a long time for training. They can and do a lot in that time

Enjoyed it, found it enlightning.

I think the parents were more the problem, a few seemed not to want their children there and driving them to Harrowgate, having a meeting in a hall and saying goodbye may not be the best way to part.

Whats wrong with getting a rail pass and you mum & dad dropping you off at the train station well apart from lugging a bloody Ironing board around, when did that become a thing?

Hmm, brings a tear to these rheumy eyes and a straightening of the back. Yes going into the Military whether its the Army, RAF or R Navy can turn people around, so long as they don't bring their 'druggie' attitudes into the Military. When I joined up at 18, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, or what trade group I wanted., but then the army twere taking anybody abck then, and some of the last National Service geezers were leaving in 1962/1963.

I joined the 'Bleeps' and became a Data Telegraphist... and I worked in IT for years after leaving the mob in 1977, and gained HND level qualifications in Business Studies and a Degree in Social Sciences just to prove to myself I wasn't as thick and lazy as some thought I was. (Hmm... that might still be debatable).

Oddly enough, it was the Army that opened my eyes to the fact that I wasn't as stupid as everyone had been telling me at school. I was just bored at the multitude of schools I went to.

Enjoyed it, found it enlightning.

I think the parents were more the problem, a few seemed not to want their children there and driving them to Harrowgate, having a meeting in a hall and saying goodbye may not be the best way to part.

Whats wrong with getting a rail pass and you mum & dad dropping you off at the train station well apart from lugging a bloody Ironing board around, when did that become a thing?
Agreed. Don't think we ever saw an ironing board. It was all done on the table. I also don't get the idea of having to turn up in a suit. They're ORs FFS, and some might not have the means to buy pointless threads. I wouldn't care if they walked there in their undies with their worldly possessions in a carrier bag. The important thing is that they're committed to the task. It's not a fookin fashion parade.

Me? got issued a travel warrant. My Grandfather saw me off at Waterloo Stn. Next stop Folkstone and IJLB for a year....what a fookin place :omfg: