Junior Paras fitness guide?

Ok, this is my first post so sorry if it is written dodgy. I am 14, and plan to join the paras, going to AFC Harrogate in September 2021. I know that is still quite a while, but I’d rather be ready for it.

I exercise regularly anyway, and love running and fitness in general, but I want to know if anyone has a fitness plan or something that I could have? I mean,there are obviously things that I am unable to do e.g 1.5 mile in 9:40( I mean, I can do 1.5 in 11-12 but I knacker myself out so I think if I keep my exercise up I’ll be fine) but it would help if I had a guide or something to follow, instead of just getting bored and deciding to go for a run.

Cheers

Last edited:
Ok, this is my first post so sorry if it is written dodgy. I am 14, and plan to join the paras, going to AFC Harrogate in September 2021. I know that is still quite a while, but I’d rather be ready for it.

I exercise regularly anyway, and love running and fitness in general, but I want to know if anyone has a fitness plan or something that I could have? I mean,there are obviously things that I am unable to do e.g 1.5 mile in 9:40( I mean, I can do 1.6 in 20 so I think if I keep my exercise up I’ll be fine) but it would help if I had a guide or something to follow, instead of just getting bored and deciding to go for a run.

Cheers
I'd be very dubious about taking advice from randomers, off the internet about fitness at your age.
Speak to your PE, teacher or a qualified individual rather than knacker yourself.

I'd be very dubious about taking advice from randomers, off the internet about fitness at your age.
Speak to your PE, teacher or a qualified individual rather than knacker yourself.
I understand, but i've tried and all they said was "well, i don't know about that type of stuff, so just exercise like you do normally,as that sounds alright" but my normal exercise schedule is just to go to the school gym mon-fri, rest weekend, have a 3.2 mile run if i can be bothered (1.6 there, 1.6 back) and hope, so it would be better if i could have something to follow

At 14 your body is still developing. You can do yourself serious, permanent orthopaedic damage if you try and do adult level stuff at your age. Trust me kiddo you do not want slipped discs, hernias, muscle's crushing bone at your age. Sorry to sound like your dad but, I have a 16 year old at home.

I would at most advise that for cardio you get involved in school cross country, join the local swimming club or take up distance cycling. Those will give you a level of fitness and endurance suitable for your age.

YOU DO NOT AT YOUR AGE WANT TO BE YOMPING WITH RUCKSACKS, RUNNING WITH RUCKSACKS, DOING STRETCHER RACE LIKE STUFF OR BATTLE PT.

Hey, and good luck.

At 14 your body is still developing. You can do yourself serious, permanent orthopaedic damage if you try and do adult level stuff at your age. Trust me kiddo you do not want slipped discs, hernias, muscle's crushing bone at your age. Sorry to sound like your dad but, I have a 16 year old at home.

I would at most advise that for cardio you get involved in school cross country, join the local swimming club or take up distance cycling. Those will give you a level of fitness and endurance suitable for your age.

YOU DO NOT AT YOUR AGE WANT TO BE YOMPING WITH RUCKSACKS, RUNNING WITH RUCKSACKS, DOING STRETCHER RACE LIKE STUFF OR BATTLE PT.

Hey, and good luck.
@XxRY4NxX2025 . This. Don't start getting fixated about standards at your age. Just keep yourself in reasonable shape as suggested above. As a Para, running is, however, a must, there's simply no way round it. At all. So do keep up your existing running routine in the meantime, you can ramp it up in the months before selection when you're 16.

Hey, and good luck.
This. Ignore any other responses in this thread.

Your body is still growing so your fitness level will fluctuate during this period.
When you get joining instructions you will understand what the physical fitness requirements are.
If reasonably fit you will do fine and your fitness levels with be bought on by the staff.
Relax its 2 years away.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am going To start running more, and make myself a schedule for it so I don’t just do it when I get bored (I can’t join my schools cross country as people used to join to miss lessons, so you only get in by invitation by the PE teacher) and, considering my bike doesn’t get much use, am going to start biking round the woods/ golf course, as they don’t have a problem with it. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am going To start running more, and make myself a schedule for it so I don’t just do it when I get bored (I can’t join my schools cross country as people used to join to miss lessons, so you only get in by invitation by the PE teacher) and, considering my bike doesn’t get much use, am going to start biking round the woods/ golf course, as they don’t have a problem with it. Thanks for the advice!
You only need to be doing something 4, or five days a week so that the body has time to recover and heal from any minor pull's and sprains which you would not necessarily know that you have - until they get bad. I would suggest splitting those activity days between running and cycling. I know you are probably very keen but, do not over do it, slowly, slowly and build up to it all. These people you see on the military telly programmes who get sprains and injury it is normally because they have minor injuries which they have not allowed to heal, then when it comes to crunch time the extra strain on the body worsens it to a degree that cannot be healed over a couple of days.

Pop off and see if there is a local cross country club who take juniors, or better yet go and find a local orienteering club. Orienteering will introduce you to navigation whilst on the move, a useful skill in itself. Added to which if you are in a local club for x-country or orienteering you may be surprised at how it might help you out when you are joining up and when you are in - the army likes sports people.

My mates lad joined the paras, he was a runner and cyclist who did biathlons and triathlons as a junior, he got on very well, still in now, still doing very, very, well.

Pop off and see if there is a local cross country club who take juniors, or better yet go and find a local orienteering club. Orienteering will introduce you to navigation whilst on the move, a useful skill in itself. Added to which if you are in a local club for x-country or orienteering you may be surprised at how it might help you out when you are joining up and when you are in - the army likes sports people.
As a former Junior Para way back in 1983 the above is good advice. I was a month shy of my 17th birthday when I joined and was one of the older lads there, the average was 16 as you would expect. There were 64 starters and (from memory) 15 made the cut to Battalion.

For prep I was knocking out 10 mile runs before I got in, did some basic body weight type exercises and low key weight training etc. I was working in a warehouse before I joined so this also helped with the phys side of things. I also, having a brother in 10 Para (as was) did a fair few tabs as well, looking back it didn't do me any harm....HOWEVER...I got lucky, I would not advise doing this now. Fyi, my son also joined Para Regt and for his prep I advised him to run, then run some more...and once he got good at it...run some more.