Junior Officer / OCdt Selection weekend for NATO Conference - sign up!

Discussion in 'OTC' started by Dry_Clean_Only, Apr 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you are an OCdt / junior officer (including Majors with 1 to 2 years seniority), under 35 and have an interest
    in NATO and multinational events and are free 29 Jul to 5 Aug 2012, then you might like to
    consider the Young Reserve Officers Workshop (YROW) in Copenhagen, Denmark.

The UK Reserve Forces Association (UKRFA) coordinates support and attendance for the NATO and other international events for the reserves. Amongst other activities, the Inter-allied Confederation of Reserve Officers (CIOR) which is the
    reserve equivalent of NATO, has an annual congress, during which YROW is one of many activities.

It represents a rare, thoroughly worthwhile and enjoyable opportunity to travel abroad, meet like minded fellow Young Officers from our NATO partners and CIOR Associate nations, including a number of PfP nations, and exchange views on wide ranging and important issues. There is a demanding but academically stimulating programme of defence related topics to debate coordinated by a multinational committee and a more recently a UK led leadership workshop which will see the introduction of TEWTS in 2012. Attendance at the CIOR Summer Symposium will also form part of the Workshop. Previous participants are welcome to reapply.

Attendance at YROW 2012 in Copenhagen requires the agreement of unit Commanding Officers to meet the student MTD and subsistence costs, whilst the UKRFA will bear the air travel costs and registration fees.

Selection weekend scheduled for the 27-29 Apr in Uxbridge.

If you are interested PM me for more details.

DCO - Back from the dead.
  2. A Major with 2 years, under 35 and who describes themselves as a Junior Officer? What ******* planet are you on.
  3. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Many NATO countries designate O3 grade as a "Junior Officer" whereas we don't. Ergo, a Major under 35 with less than 2 yrs seniority meets the criteria.
  4. Fine, in which case I shall harrumph, retire to the Mess and hide behind the Times.

Bloody Europeans. No standards.
  5. I'm not sure how you would classify a major. If I remember correctly you don't become a senior officer until full colonel do you?
  6. A major is a field officer, hence the gold braid on the No.1 dress hat.
  7. Im aware of that, but not aware of the various distinctions. Does it go junior officer (Lt/Capt) Field Officer (Major/ Lt Col) and then senior officer thereafter?
  8. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

The US/NATO classify O1-3 as "junior officers", (as O1 covers all subaltern ranks as they differ from country to country), O4 upwards as senior officers, with a slight distinction that O6 upwards are generals of 1 Star and above (hence why they have Brigadier General as opposed to just plain "Brigadier" and they refer to them as a "1 star" in reference to the badge of rank rather than an O6).

The US doesn't really employ the concept of a "field officer" (which itself has the anomolies of including a Capt in the role of adjutant or those of RM Capts who assume field status and equivalence with an RM Maj when afloat). in the US it's not uncommon for a Capt to be a Coy Cmdr because their doctrine doesn't provide for the freedom of manouvre that sub-unit command in the UK assumes. Maj's are nore often employed either in administrative roles or in the CoC ensuring the CO's CoA and intent are followed rigourously, and in staff roles they don't always have the same levels of delegated authority as we do (I saw a briefing from a US Maj seconded to a UK formation HQ written as a guide to other US officers on exchange with the UK express surprise at the level of delegation he was given compared to his US experiences). Hence why they are considered junior rather than field or senior.
  9. msr

msr LE

Quitcherbitchin and get signed up. This is a monumental pissup opportunity, er, a great way to meet fellow reserve officers from around NATO.

10. Also worth adding to woopert's post that until relatively recently our Coy Comds were Captains and we referred to our Brigadiers as Brigadier-Generals. ISTR being told that Brigadier was akin to a Brevet rank as well.
  11. Woopert, also interesting to note that in the US Army a Brigadier (General) does not command a Brigade - a Colonel does.

12. This is not entirely correct. The NATO and US designations are not equal. The US DoD employs the Oscar Numeral designation which starts with the 2Lt/Ensign as O1, and the Major, as O4, is definitely defined as Field Grade (US system O4 Maj - O6 Col)rather than Junior Grade Officer.

NATO employs the OF-numeral system which lumps subalterns together as OF-1 and thus Major as OF-3. Field Grade varies throughout NATO as both French & Germans have only their Lt Cols & Cols as Field Grade Military Officers.
  13. Just to throw another query in here, can someone explain the whole subaltern thing. I understood it that 2Lt/ Lt are subbies but that stops when you reach captain. However some one recently told me that captains are also subalterns and it is field rank when that stops. To muddy this slightly I have also been told that a captain is an 'altern' fitting between the two.
  14. We always referred to Captains & Subalterns as distinct groups in the Cav. The only way to be absolutely certain as a Captain that one is not a Subaltern is to be (or have been) an Adjutant when one is then an honorary Field Officer. That's why I had braid on my hat peak as a Captain.