Junior Brecon

the_creature

War Hero
I haven't used this site in at least a year. Spent the last few days catching up on hilarious old material. I digress.

I searched for information on SCBC and some of which seems dated. I know the infantry reserve are moving closer to doing joint NCO cadres with regular units. I'm not sure when this will be adopted.I believe selection for soldiers wishing to go on promotion courses will be paired along side regular soldiers from now on.

Is there anyone who has attended SCBC recently who can give some advice. The search engine gives some valuable tips however the infantry now a days are going back to fight light policy. Not sure how this would effect the course.

Cheers all.

Last edited:

Bravo_Bravo

On ROPS
On ROPs
One rumour is that it'll be spread over more than two weeks - a teach phase, and then get loaded onto two weeks of the Regular course.

Treat.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
t_c,

As per B_B's post above, IBS are looking to integrate the Army Reserve's Section Commanders', Platoon Sergeants' and Platoon Commanders' Battle Courses into their Regular equivalents. At the time of my leaving, this was supposed to happen beginning in 2015. Someone more up to speed may be able to tell you how firm that is, but the new format doesn't seem to be posted yet on the IBS page on ArmyNet, where the JIs for the course usually are.

Up until now we've all done what was actually called Platoon Tactics Course, which had the three streams running concurrently in the one course. There's an ARRSEpedia entry for what it's worth, here: http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Platoon_Tactics_Course_%28PTC%29 One has just been run this November, so no doubt there would have been a ARRSEr on it who can give you the latest. It is a good course and I picked up a lot. Even though as a Section Commander you only have two (tops three) maneuver elements to play with, you'll feel like you're Rommel after this course.

You have to be WHTed on the LMG, GPMG as well as the IW before you go. You can prep a bit for the Mil Knowledge tests; recite the Battle Procedure (CAKE), weapon ranges etc., but that part is easy enough. There is some classroom work, but you'll be out on the areas for most days of the course. Try and scrounge as many uniforms, socks and underwear as you can to avoid laundry dramas. The only real thing to be concerned about is your phys. Make sure that you're not just PFT & CFT fit, but actually match fit. The JIs (and Arrsepedia) have a training programme, although being a reservist you might find some of that programme hard to jack up by yourself. The initial CFT can be a cheeky one (well it is Brecon ...), but I've heard that some courses luck out with flatter routes. You will do the Fan Dance carrying CFT weight, at the end of the first week and I'm not going to lie to you mate, you will feel like weeping for your mother.

As PTC had all three streams, you could have a couple of Sgts and 2Lts in your section who would act as plain bods until their turn for a command appointment, as would you. Because everyone is at least a LCpl, the section dynamic is usually pretty good with everyone being switched on and working for each other. Even if/when the course structure changes, this element will still be true and it can make a big difference at times, especially on Final Ex. The DS are top flight, helpful and no-nonsense. It really does pay to go in with a good attitude about the course too. That sounds trite, but one lad in my section had a pretty hellish time because of his approach to the course and was miserable through the entire course.

When you finally drive away from Derring Lines you'll probably make a vow that you're never going back to Brecon ever again, but you'll soon forget the pain and start basking in the glory whilst wearing the Brecon sweatshirt that you bought at the RV Ops shop on camp. In summary - get fit.

Ask your PSI. The Reserve Battle Courses are being introduced in 2015, but there are a few tweaks being made to the programme, so your PSI / TM will have the latest info.

PTC is fading out with the remaining courses taking place (under current plans) between now in April 2015.

PSBC(R) will trial in early 2015:

Mandatory PCT (distance learning pages now available on the ITC pages of the DLP)

2 weeks course at Brecon joining the Regular course for for the offensive ops phase. Day 1 is 8 miler which you must pass to continue, (Middle weekend is further training for reservists).

There is an option (TBC) to rejoin PSBC for the 2 weeks final exercise. This is an option only and not required to complete the course.

PCBC(R) and SCBC(R) will follow in a similar fashion during 2015.

mso

LE
I'm not doubting the accuracy of the information, but with that many acronyms it is essentially meaningless....

FEASG

LE
Talking to a mate the other day who said that the last Reserve Platoon Tactics Course (Pl Commanders, Sgt, Section Commanders all in together) is this March from then on its the Regular course but done in modules.

I'm not doubting the accuracy of the information, but with that many acronyms it is essentially meaningless....

PSI - Permanent Staff Instructor
TM - Training Major
PTC - Platoon Tactics Course
PCT - I'm guessing Pre Course Training
ITC - Infantry Training C something
DLP - Defence Learning Portal
SCBC - Section Commanders Battle Course
PSBS - Platoon Sargent's Battle Course
PCBC - Platoon Commanders Battle Course
Suffix (R) Reserve, formally (V)
TBC - To Be Confirmed

As a Sapper I managed to follow the post by the context.

Yes, DII may be required to request an account. Most (all?) ARCs have DII terminals. I'm guessing all Inf(R) units have drill nights. Soooooooooooo....

Yeah......a laptop with some silly connection over a landline that's slower than a slower thing and can take the PC 2 hours to let him see his emails....

So he is connected then. DII means some peoples online experiences may differ, alas. Manditory pre course training means they should be doing it on MTDs anyway so that could be in his favour OR he goes to somewhere that has better DII connection.

PSI - Permanent Staff Instructor
TM - Training Major
PTC - Platoon Tactics Course
PCT - I'm guessing Pre Course Training
ITC - Infantry Training C something
DLP - Defence Learning Portal
SCBC - Section Commanders Battle Course
PSBS - Platoon Sargent's Battle Course
PCBC - Platoon Commanders Battle Course
Suffix (R) Reserve, formally (V)
TBC - To Be Confirmed

As a Sapper I managed to follow the post by the context.
I suspect it may be ITC as in Infantry Training Centre Catterick

Fat fingers - for ITC - read IBS (infantry battle school- ie Brecon).

OK lots of acronyms in earlier post but all of them would be familiar to the target audience for the courses.

Talking to a mate the other day who said that the last Reserve Platoon Tactics Course (Pl Commanders, Sgt, Section Commanders all in together) is this March from then on its the Regular course but done in modules.

Not quite. It's 2 weeks at Brecon during the offensive ops phase preceded by distance learning. That's it (with an option to also attend the final ex).

If you want more than that You can attend the full regular course if your unit is prepared to fund the MTDs and you can take the time off.

FEASG

LE
Not quite. It's 2 weeks at Brecon during the offensive ops phase preceded by distance learning. That's it (with an option to also attend the final ex).

If you want more than that You can attend the full regular course if your unit is prepared to fund the MTDs and you can take the time off.

I’m very glad to say that SCBC(nasty reg version), and PSBC (well the STAB version) are very safely in the past for me, but thanks for the offer.

the_creature

War Hero
RP578.

Always can rely on you for a very detailed reply. Thanks all. I vowed never to return to Brecon at least twice before. Actually I vowed never to soldier again after said tour/exercise/promotion course..ect

I don't know why us infanteers do it to ourselves. However when I'm nice and warm sipping on a hot brew with a smile, watching the next bunch of lads getting on the transport. it all some how appears worth it.

the_creature

War Hero
Just finished an absolutely emotional course. A complete new standard and was called the bridging course to test reserve for the integrated course. From the opening address I knew it was going to be a smashing. 60 started and 37ish finished. That's of the top of my head. Dont know how many actually passed.I cant stress enough for blokes going on the new course to get hill fit.

What was worse than the fan dance was doing a 15km cross country insertion tab to a harbour area after back to back up hill platoon attacks on day 5 of an intense exercise where I felt tested to levels I hadn't thought possible.

I would invest in getting aspiring leaders to do lots of build up. I finished with a very strong report. But others felt the strain of not only being exhausted but still constantly being in appointment. When not in appointment you where digging in/building model/recce/stag ect. Sleep dep and the blistering wet and cold killed of a lot of the course.

I'm happy its over but do not under estimate the courses now. Ours was run by senior division and they were always pounding the pressure.

Last edited: