Junior Brecon - hints & tips?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by toblerone, Oct 19, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thinking about applying to do Jr Cmdrs Course at Brecon

Any hints & tips ?
  2. Fablon everything.
    Get fit as possible.
    Reherse orders format.
    Square kit before going.
    Sign out an extra sense of humour.
  3. Wot DS said.

Plus get used to red mud and LOTS of rain.

Oh, and get FIT. The en are ALWAYS up the bloody big hill.
  4. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

get fit
    Waterproof as much as poss
    get fit
    check with others in your unit who have attended J/Brecon
    get fit
    speak to your training wing
    get fit
    ask your Pl Sgt who will probaly have done it
    get fit

Lastly - enjoy yourself - sounds daft but when you look back you will see the good bits.
  5. AS all of above, and never argue with the DS!! gets embarrassing failing through "attitude" :wink:
  6. I think mention need be made of the requirement for fitness.
  7. X-Inf

8O :D :wink:
  8. So you reckon I should get fit then ? :D :D

Sounds daft I know but for the course what kind of fitness wud u all suggest ?

Lots of tabbing ? Circuits etc?

Currently do weights & run, but obviously want to talior it towards the course
  9. X-Inf

Start by cutting out the toberlone maybe :wink:
  10. Below is a link to the reg SCBC pre-course training programme as suggested by IBS. Hope it helps.

11. wieghts and running with occasional tab .Cant do a lot of tabbing as very
    likely to get an injury from running with wieght long as feel happy doing cft and section attacks with realistic loads then you are ready.you will
    be suprised at amount of people who turn up unfit so i am told
  12. The real problem is the weight you carry, full war scales, 94's etc. and yes, although every PTI would say you shouldn't you do end up running/ crawling with it.

I ran (5-8 miles) with a 45-55lb bergan every day for 6 weeks before Brecon, and didn't find it that physically challenging, not even after I twisted my ankle (and ~6 weeks later I can only now just about run on it again, and dispite the DS's wonderful advice that it would wear off, I had trouble walking for 2 weeks after returning). However, a lot of the juniors did (as they hadn't prepared for it).

The CFT is interesting, you do run a lot of it, and I overheard the PTI telling the staff that the squad averaged 6 mph.....
  13. CFT up that fcuking great big hill near the asslt cse with an unpleasant scottish csgt offering verbal 'encouragement' in your left ear.
  14. Oh Christ! It's not that bad! Any reasonably fit soldier can put up with this stuff for two weeks.
    Gentle running in the few weeks leading up to the course - you should be up to 10 miles a day by the time you get there - 5 in the morning and 5 in the evening; slowly - 40-minute 5-milers are about right. That'll increase your stamina.
    The biggest b*lls-ache is learning to concentrate with b*gger all sleep and maintaining a sense of humour when the others in your section suddenly fail to pull their weight when it's your command appointment - nice!
    Just make sure your admin is fully up to scratch. Leave all Gucci kit at home coz you won't have time to get it out. Leave space for bullets and water on the round-robin - you won't need anything else.
    Make sure you pack a thousand spare pairs of socks coz you'll need them all.
    Don't wear Danners, Matterhorns or Pro-Boots as they'll get wet inside and stay that way for the whole 2 weeks.
    On a section attack, make note of where the stream is at all times, as you'll be in it as soon as the targets are up. No, REALLY!
    Don't bother with permi-pens as you'll be writing in the rain/snow/sleet/hail - use a pencil sharpened at both ends, JUST like they tell you...
    Have fun - sounds silly, but isn't this why we do this sh1t?
  15. Are you not doing a battalion/rgt organised pre-Brecon regime of preparation weekends?